Options

Buying an older Iphone

southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice.

I'm looking to buy a smaller handset and may go for the IPhone 5s, which I'm likely to use for the next 2 years.

Do you think I will have problems with future updates slowing down the phone or future apps not being compatible with the 5s?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be fine for 2 years. I'm on a 4s which is on the latest OS.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just looking for some advice.

I'm looking to buy a smaller handset and may go for the IPhone 5s, which I'm likely to use for the next 2 years.

Do you think I will have problems with future updates slowing down the phone or future apps not being compatible with the 5s?

Thanks in advance.

You're still good to go for a 5s.

It's still a fantastic device, and IMO a better design than the 6.

It will remain perfectly usable for the next two years.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »

Agreed, the only real omission of future features I can think of is VoLTE.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »

I have an iPhone 5 which should also be considered. The differences between the 5 and 5s are largely just the fingerprint reader and the fact that the 5 is LTE enabled for the EE and 3 networks only in the UK .
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, I was after an iphone for my old man as he's had no luck with other cheaper phones like the Samsung Ace, in terms of userbility and reliability, he has an ipad so is familiar with ios, just on a limited pensioner budget didn't have too much to spend. Was recommended to go for at least an iphone 4s, not below, this was great advise as a good quality 2nd hand one was only £75-80 on eBay and after setting it up with him is was still quite capable of doing all that was thrown at it, even with the latest software installed. So advise from me is if you want to spend the extra go for a iPhone5 for the bigger screen and 4g or save yourself a bit of cash of that's the aim and go for the iPhone 4s.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, I was after an iphone for my old man as he's had no luck with other cheaper phones like the Samsung Ace, in terms of userbility and reliability, he has an ipad so is familiar with ios, just on a limited pensioner budget didn't have too much to spend. Was recommended to go for at least an iphone 4s, not below, this was great advise as a good quality 2nd hand one was only £75-80 on eBay and after setting it up with him is was still quite capable of doing all that was thrown at it, even with the latest software installed. So advise from me is if you want to spend the extra go for a iPhone5 for the bigger screen and 4g or save yourself a bit of cash of that's the aim and go for the iPhone 4s.

I would avoid the 4s if you want maximum life as the 4s has 512mb RAM and the 5, 5s, 6 and 6+ have 1GB RAM.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    5s is probably the current sweet spot so go for it.
    Touch ID and WiFi calling (if you're on EE or Vodafone (assuming Vodafone include it)) make it easily worth the extra over the 5,
    It will almost certainly run iOS 9 and maybe 10 as well.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i've advised a fair few people lately if they don't want the latest and greatest but want a solid device that will get updates. To go for a 5c/5s they are going for a good price in the second market at moment as well.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah i've advised a fair few people lately if they don't want the latest and greatest but want a solid device that will get updates. To go for a 5c/5s they are going for a good price in the second market at moment as well.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    To go for a 5c/5s they are going for a good price in the second market at moment as well.

5s always beats 5c as it has the 64bit A7 CPU over the 32bit A6 - but I suspect the A6 will get iOS 9 but probably not 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    5s always beats 5c as it has the 64bit A7 CPU over the 32bit A6 - but I suspect the A6 will get iOS 9 but probably not 10.

Very true but the 5c is cheaper for a lot of people who went just a cheap phone at moment.
  • Options
    Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Are you really sure that you want to get an iPhone 5s and keep it for 2 years mate?

I'm not saying this to be shallow or have a whole discussion about phones again I just mean for an extra 0.7 inches screen size I'd go for the iPhone 6 if I was in your position.

I mean ok you get the 5s now and change it in April 2017 but you do realise by then the iPhone 7s will only be 5 months to release date, meaning your 5s will end up being 3 generations behind (6, 6s and 7). I'm currently writing this on my iPhone 5s and can't wait until September to upgrade it.

It's entirely your decision like just my opinion.
  • Options
    southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbo19 wrote: »
    Are you really sure that you want to get an iPhone 5s and keep it for 2 years mate?

I'm not saying this to be shallow or have a whole discussion about phones again I just mean for an extra 0.7 inches screen size I'd go for the iPhone 6 if I was in your position.

I mean ok you get the 5s now and change it in April 2017 but you do realise by then the iPhone 7s will only be 5 months to release date, meaning your 5s will end up being 3 generations behind (6, 6s and 7). I'm currently writing this on my iPhone 5s and can't wait until September to upgrade it.

It's entirely your decision like just my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have looked at the iPhone 6 but I'm hoping to buy a phone a bit smaller.
  • Options
    samuel79samuel79 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Why only a Iphone 5 you could have a brand new EE Kestrel Quad core 1.2 GHz for £100 4g way better than apple and a unlock code is £2 from the bay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samuel79 wrote: »
    Why only a Iphone 5 you could have a brand new EE Kestrel Quad core 1.2 GHz for £100 4g way better than apple and a unlock code is £2 from the bay

Because he wants an iPhone if he wanted an Android that is a fair amount of alternatives. iPhones offer useful things as well.