EE on iphone 5

hongkongandyhongkongandy Posts: 119
Forum Member
Should I be able to see the EE network on my unlocked iphone 5?

HKA

Comments

• BrightSparksBrightSparks Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its only tmobile/orange ip5 that are LTE compatible will be able to see the 4G EE
    Vod and O2 versions wont be compatible
  • hongkongandyhongkongandy Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Thanks,
    I have an Apple unlocked ip5
    Any difference?
    HKA
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Thanks,
    I have an Apple unlocked ip5
    Any difference?
    HKA
    Any iPhone 5 bought in the UK will be compatible with EE's 4G network. I assume that includes unlocked ones, and unlocked ones that were previously locked to other networks.

Obviously, you'll need an EE SIM card to access the network, as well as 4G coverage.
    Forum Member
    Many thanks....
    Only asked because in the 'network selection' it shows Voda, O2, T Mob, etc but no EE.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a silly question, but do you have LTE enabled in the settings?
    Forum Member
    can I sound stupid and ask HOW?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Settings > General > Mobile Data

(It will be called Cellular Data if the language is set to International English)

If you don't see an 'Enable LTE' toggle on that settings page then your carrier settings (managed by your network) don't allow LTE to be enabled.
    Forum Member
    No LTE togg:cry:le..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Should I be able to see the EE network on my unlocked iphone 5?

HKA

it needs a sim update. my wife's 4s shows EE on payg
    Forum Member
    sim update?
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks....
    Only asked because in the 'network selection' it shows Voda, O2, T Mob, etc but no EE.

Your iPhone would only show "EE" if you had an Orange, T-Mobile or EE SIM inserted into the phone.

In any other scenario, it will still list Orange and T-Mobile.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    It's a silly question, but do you have LTE enabled in the settings?
    The original poster needs to say if they've upgraded to a EE 4G contract - he won't get LTE unless he's done that (which I assume he hasn't)... if not, all they need to do is do the "Network Reset" from the reset menu to get the EE name appear. Or turning the phone off/on made it appear.

However, it doesnt matter as it's just a blanket name for both the T-Mob/Orange networks.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think the OP wants to know if they can use the network selection facility to verify if they have LTE covrage.

I've a friend that would also like to know this as they live on the outskirts of one of the launch cities.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Settings > General > Mobile Data

(It will be called Cellular Data if the language is set to International English)

If you don't see an 'Enable LTE' toggle on that settings page then your carrier settings (managed by your network) don't allow LTE to be enabled.
    Edit - nevermind, restarted the phone and it's changed. Thanks for the info!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    The original poster needs to say if they've upgraded to a EE 4G contract - he won't get LTE unless he's done that (which I assume he hasn't)... if not, all they need to do is do the "Network Reset" from the reset menu to get the EE name appear. Or turning the phone off/on made it appear.

However, it doesnt matter as it's just a blanket name for both the T-Mob/Orange networks.

The OP wants to know if the LTE network should now be visible when doing a network search, which it should, but LTE needs to be enabled in the settings and this option is only available when an LTE carrier settings profile is active on the phone.

Whether or not the OP has upgraded to a 4G plan is irrelevant to the question at hand. I have an unlocked iPhone 5 on a T-Mobile 3G plan and I can enable LTE. The update to the T-Mobile carrier settings they released when the iPhone 5 launched enables this. Obviously I will not be able to access the LTE network but it should indeed be visible on a network search. Unfortunately though I do not live in an LTE coverage area so I can't verify this directly.
    Sirius wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think the OP wants to know if they can use the network selection facility to verify if they have LTE covrage.

I've a friend that would also like to know this as they live on the outskirts of one of the launch cities.

I believe this is the case also. Although it's not completely clear in this thread the OP did ask the question in another thread and referred specifically to the 4G network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit - nevermind, restarted the phone and it's changed. Thanks for the info!

edit: Just caught up with your edit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Your iPhone would only show "EE" if you had an Orange, T-Mobile or EE SIM inserted into the phone.

In any other scenario, it will still list Orange and T-Mobile.

Even with an Orange, T-Mobile SIM It still identifies the networks individually, it will just display them both as EE on the status bar.

If you do a network search it will identify T-Mobile and Orange individually.

In my case, as I am on T-Mobile, it shows T-Mobile as T-Mobile and Orange as 'T-Mobile Orange', and for an iPhone on Orange it would be the other way around.

As per this: http://i48.tinypic.com/345igeo.jpg
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Mine is an iPhone 5 on a tmobile 3G service. I don't see the EE 4G network with LTE enabled in settings. I imagine I need an EE sim to see it rather than a tmobile 3G sim. Shame really as I could do with seeing how good the signal is in the various places I regularly go to before selling my soul for one of their expensive 2 year contracts.
  • markylmarkyl Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    EE have update their coverage maps to show 4G coverage

https://explore.ee.co.uk/coverage-checker
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    You won't be able to scan for a 4g network with a 3g sim. You need and 4g sim just to scan.

BTW I used the coverage checker and it said for 4g is not avaliable inbmy area

Then I scrolled down and it said Congrats, you can get 4g ee , click here to sign up..km
    ????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I don't know about this condition