Options

BT said to have pulled patent-infringing boxes

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
from DSL network

Is this not a good thing? I am not sure about fibre, but when I was with ADSL24 and on the cable and wireless ADSL+2 network, there was no line management and i was able to change things on the router and got a better and faster connection than I ever did on BT network. sure if I went too far I would get speed but lose reliability, but with some tweaking I could get 2.5mb/s faster than I could on the BT and it was reliable.

BT and other line management cause all sort of problems. it could be different for fibre,

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Andrew Ferguson, also comes to the rescue. His was not posted when I posted mine. I normally check ADSL Guide., sorry, Think broadband.
    old habits die hard.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my FTTC starts tumbling in speed and stays down, I'll be leaving as soon as my contract with them is up. BT might bring something out that fixes this problem though.

Edit: It seems that other ISPs could be affected as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If my FTTC starts tumbling in speed and stays down, I'll be leaving as soon as my contract with them is up. BT might bring something out that fixes this problem though.

and where would you go since the majority of providers int his country uses BT FTTC system?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    and where would you go since the majority of providers int his country uses BT FTTC system?

Read my edit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read my edit.

that was not there when I replied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was not there when I replied.

I didn't say it was. I just said read it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say it was. I just said read it.

Fair enough, calm down

Thankfully at the moment, line management do not affect me, other things do, but not line management.
    I hope BT decides to do without it, if I ever go back onto fixed line broadband I will be happy if they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, calm down

Thankfully at the moment, line management do not affect me, other things do, but not line management.
    I hope BT decides to do without it, if I ever go back onto fixed line broadband I will be happy if they do.

I was calm when I made that post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was calm when I made that post.

That is ok then.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    when I was with ADSL24 and on the cable and wireless ADSL+2 network, there was no line management and i was able to change things on the router and got a better and faster connection than I ever did on BT network.
    My current provider uses BT WBC in my area and the default line profile provided by BT was much lower than my former LLU ISP. Luckily I was able to override my sync settings to achieve around 40% increase but if that all goes Pete Tong as a result of any of these changes I'm not going to be a happy bunny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    My current provider uses BT WBC in my area and the default line profile provided by BT was much lower than my former LLU ISP. Luckily I was able to override my sync settings to achieve around 40% increase but if that all goes Pete Tong as a result of any of these changes I'm not going to be a happy bunny.

If BT can't figure out a way of keeping people's current broadband speeds, they'll likely get a load of complaints coming their way, and rightly so as well. They might have to end up buying the company/technology if they can't figure anything out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose it depends on what LLU network you are on, most of them uses some sort of DLM, cable and wireless did not, I hear now that they do.
    What do you mean by over riding sync settings? When I was on ADSL24, I changed the SNR margin, and because there was no DLM, thhe system would not adjust, so I managed to get it down to about 4 without it disconnecting, which is pretty good. But then you got to have a good router/modem to do so.
    If you do that with Bt, then their DLM will cut in and try and change it that end. I tried it when I was on BT and it lowered my speed.

I suppose it also depends on the line, mine was/is a long line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If BT can't figure out a way of keeping people's current broadband speeds, they'll likely get a load of complaints coming their way, and rightly so as well. They might have to end up buying the company/technology if they can't figure anything out.

Cable and wireless did it with out DLM, so surly a monopoly like Bt can
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on what LLU network you are on, most of them uses some sort of DLM, cable and wireless did not, I hear now that they do.
    What do you mean by over riding sync settings? When I was on ADSL24, I changed the SNR margin, and because there was no DLM, thhe system would not adjust, so I managed to get it down to about 4 without it disconnecting, which is pretty good. But then you got to have a good router/modem to do so.
    If you do that with Bt, then their DLM will cut in and try and change it that end. I tried it when I was on BT and it lowered my speed.

I suppose it also depends on the line, mine was/is a long line

When I first moved here I was with o2 LLU and got just over 5mb.

Sky took over and I was moved onto their LLU network - hovered around 3.8mb most of the time. The network wasn't that bad in fairness. It wasn't as stable as o2 and the customer service was appalling but there was no obvious traffic management (unlike o2).

Now with Zen on BTWholesale. Initially I was connecting at 2.5mb and acording to the BT checker the line was only capable of between 1 and 3mb. After speaking to Zen they could see there was a fault that was lowering the profile. In the process they mentioned about changing the MTU settings as well as some others I cant remember. One of them was definitely related to the SNR - once I configured this (via a telnet command) it immediately resynched at just over 4mb. After tweaking it a bit more I'm currently on 4.7mb. I figure it should be pushable a little bit further but am holding off for now in case there are any stability issues. When I ran the BTWholesale checker a few weeks later it now rates my line as having an acceptable range of between 1.5 and 7.5mb

And no, there is no sign of FTTC any time soon :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first moved here I was with o2 LLU and got just over 5mb.

Sky took over and I was moved onto their LLU network - hovered around 3.8mb most of the time. The network wasn't that bad in fairness. It wasn't as stable as o2 and the customer service was appalling but there was no obvious traffic management (unlike o2).

i suppose it depends on what system they use for DLM, I know a few people with Sky broadband and they get pretty good speeds on ADSl and one of them is a fair distance from the exchange. As of yet i know of no one on sky that got Fibre.

Now with Zen on BTWholesale. Initially I was connecting at 2.5mb and acording to the BT checker the line was only capable of between 1 and 3mb. After speaking to Zen they could see there was a fault that was lowering the profile. In the process they mentioned about changing the MTU settings as well as some others I cant remember. One of them was definitely related to the SNR - once I configured this (via a telnet command) it immediately resynched at just over 4mb. After tweaking it a bit more I'm currently on 4.7mb. I figure it should be pushable a little bit further but am holding off for now in case there are any stability issues. When I ran the BTWholesale checker a few weeks later it now rates my line as having an acceptable range of between 1.5 and 7.5mb

i am surprised, because normally mucking around with SNR mucks things up and the BT DLM will try to sort it out. I did muck around with it when I was on BT and had mixed results. the problem was if the modem disconnected when I was out and kept doing it, then BT DLM would kick in and I would come home and find I was connected at about 1Mb/s
    i never got more than 3 most of the time anyway

And no, there is no sign of FTTC any time soon :(

That is a shame. i am lucky I have a choice, point to point Wi-fi, which I am using now, FTTC or ADSL..
    My wi-fi service goes through Zen.

Looking at options at the moment, to be honest I am happy with who I am with most of the time, but I also look that for the same price i could get a bit more speed on FTTC. the problem is to get it at that cost, i would need to go with one of the larger providers and that do not really fill me with glee.

I looked at Zen, but it is too expensive.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Cable and wireless did it with out DLM, so surly a monopoly like Bt can

At a guess when they were taken over by Vodafone they started using the DLM system that they use in Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    At a guess when they were taken over by Vodafone they started using the DLM system that they use in Ireland.

They did, but as far as i know it is still a choice on the service. Saying that once Vodafone took over it seems a lot of the resellers decided to go elsewhere. shame really as it was a good network, but that what happens when things are taken over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well BT will have a lot of complaints if they don't sort this out when/if it happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well BT will have a lot of complaints if they don't sort this out when/if it happens.

It may make it better in the long term, BT DLM was naff, certainly on long lines like mine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member