Options

Steve's mum and his supposed family.

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
It's been played for laughs over the years, but they really are utter scum to that guy. Hope this storyline opens a few eyes.

Comments

• Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Bunch of vultures. Horrible, vile clan.
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been played for laughs over the years, but they really are utter scum to that guy. Hope this storyline opens a few eyes.

In fairness to them they don't know what the problem is and Steve has been feckless and irresponsible many times over the years.

The strenght of this is that it beautifully shows how difficult it is for someone who people expect to be a jack-the-lad to confront his depression
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    In fairness to them they don't know what the problem is and Steve has been feckless and irresponsible many times over the years.

The strenght of this is that it beautifully shows how difficult it is for someone who people expect to be a jack-the-lad to confront his depression

I don't think they've really tried to find out what the problem is. The only reason they ask is because he's not done a particular errand/duty. It's more of an employer-employee relationship than a loving one.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they knew what the problem is

They'd treat him well

And then revert to type

One has to go..
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aw nuts, I dearly wanted to be the person who started this thread. I was going to start it off by saying, thank God............I don't have Steve's 'Ma' as a mother.

Flipping hell that was rough tonight, Liz McDonald can't even spot when her own child is distressed and down in the dumps. I mean what's supposed to be going on in her tatty head? Mice making nests?

She seems to have much more time and sympathy for Moochelle for God sakes.

Just more dismal, mindless and insulting dross from Corrie. Well done/

Get the feeling they don't think much of mums a lot of the time.:(
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,300
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand i can understand how somebody with very little experience of depression coyld become frustrated with the sufferor - especially when they don't know the diagnosis. Having grown up with a parent suffering from it and then developing it myself in adulthood, i do see it from both sides.

But i was shouting at the screen during that last scene with Liz. Steve asked to speak to her alone and she just berated him in public. Surely she must see that there is nore to this than him just being irresponsible.

It does highlight how difficult it is to talk to people. Telling my parents i'd been diagnosed was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and they of course had experience of it. You feel such a failure that you can't controll your own mental well being which of course makes the depression worse.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I don't think they've really tried to find out what the problem is. The only reason they ask is because he's not done a particular errand/duty. It's more of an employer-employee relationship than a loving one.

Exactly.

I was seething after watching that scene and it made for uncomfortable viewing.

What the heck is wrong with these people??

Liz was horrible and so was miss foldy arms with her snidey remarks Steve looked like he was drowning and the only people to notice that something might be wrong were Lloyd and Andrea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They haven't but that's the point. We know Liz loves Steve. Time and again he's been ducking and diving and telling lies to cover his tracks.

This shows just how difficult it can be for people to alert family members of depression
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Telling my parents i'd been diagnosed was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and they of course had experience of it.

This is exactly what I mean. How many of us have been shocked when a friend told us of their depression and we were shocked because we had no idea... yet in hindsight.

I expect Liz will feel very guilty. In some was she should but in other ways she shouldn't. She's not a doctor and has no experience of depression.

Watching it what struck me was how Bev Callard must feel playing it given her own experience.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't but that's the point. We know Liz loves Steve. Time and again he's been ducking and diving and telling lies to cover his tracks.

This shows just how difficult it can be for people to alert family members of depression

Liz didn't have to spot that Steve had depression, she just had to recognise that her own son looked desperate and was crying out for help like any other mum at all worth her salt would do.
    People usually as close as a parent and child can read each other much quicker than this. instead of running on and on like a insensate, mindless automaton. Or is that not everyone's experience?

Liz actually lives with Steve also and still the penny hasn't dropped apparently that he has become monosyllabic and morose and switched off. She comes across as a mother that doesn't seem to care. The relationship between them is abysmal and they aren't like a real mother and son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When he's been telling lies before (to be honest, the only time I can recall is when he lied about going to college), he was still warm with people. This time, he's aloof. For me, the hallmark of Steve is his approachability. He's anything but approachable at the moment. Even if Liz doesn't possess the knowledge to make a self-diagnosis of depression, she should recognise that this is a different situation to anything that's come before and act accordingly i.e. with caution. She should not be going in all guns blazing like she normally would, e.g. if he was lying about hiding in the bookies when he should be cooking dinner.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    What a nasty bunch, felt so sorry for him tonight.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect Liz will feel very guilty. In some was she should but in other ways she shouldn't. She's not a doctor and has no experience of depression.

Watching it what struck me was how Bev Callard must feel playing it given her own experience.

It doesn't matter. The damage has been done

She'll be back nagging him again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he's been telling lies before (to be honest, the only time I can recall is when he lied about going to college), he was still warm with people. This time, he's aloof. For me, the hallmark of Steve is his approachability. He's anything but approachable at the moment. Even if Liz doesn't possess the knowledge to make a self-diagnosis of depression, she should recognise that this is a different situation to anything that's come before and act accordingly i.e. with caution. She should not be going in all guns blazing like she normally would, e.g. if he was lying about hiding in the bookies when he should be cooking dinner.

He has lied and lied and lied from business dealings, to affairs to criminality. He's no angel and that's the strength of this story.

Liz could be more thoughtful but when has she ever been. She has always been a shout first think later passionate woman. It's her flaw in many ways. She always recognised a gentle side to Andy that she admired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter. The damage has been done

She'll be back nagging him again

Get a grip. Nagging does not cause depression.
    He's a grown man and Liz cannot be expected to diagnose him. Many people shock those closest to them to the core when they reveal their depression... jokers the most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    Liz didn't have to spot that Steve had depression, she just had to recognise that her own son looked desperate and was crying out for help like any other mum at all worth her salt would do.
    People usually as close as a parent and child can read each other much quicker than this. instead of running on and on like a insensate, mindless automaton. Or is that not everyone's experience?

Liz actually lives with Steve also and still the penny hasn't dropped apparently that he has become monosyllabic and morose and switched off. She comes across as a mother that doesn't seem to care. The relationship between them is abysmal and they aren't like a real mother and son.

I agree.

She just seems cold towards Steve and I'm sure she didn't used to be like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »

Time and again great and dedicated Mums don't see their child's depression.

It's not so black and white!
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    It's just unbearable to watch. Vile bullies, no one noticing a big change in behaviour, a very strange representation of the symptoms of depression, and terrible acting. Totally insulting and insensitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I agree.

She just seems cold towards Steve and I'm sure she didn't used to be like this.

Her reaction was typical passionate Liz - nothing cold about it. She's frustrated with Steve because she doesn't realise what's going on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has lied and lied and lied from business dealings, to affairs to criminality. He's no angel and that's the strength of this story.

Liz could be more thoughtful but when has she ever been. She has always been a shout first think later passionate woman. It's her flaw in many ways. She always recognised a gentle side to Andy that she admired.

She seems awfully concerned with how Michelle's feeling.

I take your point about Steve's history of lying but I still agree with AndreaMC. Liz is his mum at the end of the day. If a headstrong woman like Liz can't even rein it in when it's her own son she's dealing with, well, god help Steve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    It's just unbearable to watch. Vile bullies, no one noticing a big change in behaviour, a very strange representation of the symptoms of depression, and terrible acting. Totally insulting and insensitive.

on the contrary Simon Gregson has been terrific, from his sullenness to the brief respite from the kind gesture of his daughter. A great representation (so far).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her reaction was typical passionate Liz - nothing cold about it. She's frustrated with Steve because she doesn't realise what's going on

I found her cold and she shows a lot more warmth towards Michelle......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems awfully concerned with how Michelle's feeling.

I take your point about Steve's history of lying but I still agree with AndreaMC. Liz is his mum at the end of the day. If a headstrong woman like Liz can't even rein it in when it's her own son she's dealing with, well, god help Steve.

She has never, ever reigned it in when dealing with Steve or Jim. This is Liz McDonald for goodness sake!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I found her cold and she shows a lot more warmth towards Michelle......

You're wrong. She wasn't cold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has never, ever reigned it in when dealing with Steve or Jim. This is Liz McDonald for goodness sake!

Well, she should.