another Game cock up...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    The problem at this time in particular is that people want temp job over xmas/new year. Where I live there are people who clearly know nothing about games (and even the regular staff hang their heads when they get asked for advice on the easiest questions.)

Surely there should be a requirement in these shops to actually know 'something' about video games other than the names of the consoles.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Section9 wrote: »
    The problem at this time in particular is that people want temp job over xmas/new year. Where I live there are people who clearly know nothing about games (and even the regular staff hang their heads when they get asked for advice on the easiest questions.)

Surely there should be a requirement in these shops to actually know 'something' about video games other than the names of the consoles.

My interview consisted of what games I like and previous sales experience.

However, i was employed based upon my knowledge, as I game too much:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to buy Darksiders 2 on WiiU today from Game, the website has it listed for £39.99 but in store it was £49.99, walked literally two minute across the city centre and looked in graniger games, it was £35 and i had enough money to Re-buy modern warfare 2 on PS3 (i had in on 360 but have since sold the console)

So i'm confused, should i be raging that Game are ripoffs are celebrating that i bought a brand new game (on WiiU at least) for less than i expected
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GAME are selling Far Cry 3 on PS3/360 tomorrow for £22.49 with the exclusive DLC.

Bloody good deal.
    Forum Member
    My interview consisted of what games I like and previous sales experience.

However, i was employed based upon my knowledge, as I game too much:D

Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact I approve of this! :)

I'd much rather someone be employed at Game because they have knowledge about gaming rather than just being an extra body on the shop floor.
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I went to buy Darksiders 2 on WiiU today from Game, the website has it listed for £39.99 but in store it was £49.99, walked literally two minute across the city centre and looked in graniger games, it was £35 and i had enough money to Re-buy modern warfare 2 on PS3 (i had in on 360 but have since sold the console)

So i'm confused, should i be raging that Game are ripoffs are celebrating that i bought a brand new game (on WiiU at least) for less than i expected

If I recall, the actual shops and the website effectively act as two different entities competing against each other. (I've fallen into that trap before and it's really annoying.)
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Not everywhere has a Grainger games or alternative though!

The only games shop near me is GAME
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Grainger games is it an English company? Alternative I have to game is travelling 45 minutes on a train to Glasgow to go to G-Force, generally more expensive though but is good for imported games.

As for the staff in game having gaming knowledge, my local is fine it used to be gamestation and all the staff even the temps appear to be gamers. Last year before the original Game shop in our shopping centre shut down they hired anybody, they were nice looking young girls but knew f**k all about any games they were trying to sell :D
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grainger Games are fairly decent ... i tend 2 get most of my stuff off em. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Grainger Games are fairly decent ... i tend 2 get most of my stuff off em. :-)

They are a great store, a just hate the way they order the games, in price order rather than A-Z

They offered me £23 for some games which i then made them beat Cex on and they offered £43, so they might be bad on trade without a CeX nearby
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sooner Game go bust the better. Rip off merchants.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got a Game and Grainger shop opposite each other in my local city centre. Sometimes Game has got lower prices and sometimes Grainger, depends on what game I want to buy really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner Game go bust the better. Rip off merchants.

I think it's already been established that they aren't Ripoff merchants by now

And please tell me more about how you like to see people jobless?
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Do GAME trade in accessories like controllers, Guitar Hero guitars etc?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »

they do, not sure about guitars though, that seems to have died a death
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member

Yeah I think they do take guitars but probably won't get much for them as guitar hero type games seem to have died out
    Forum Member

You're probably better off trying to flog it on ebay.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to give Game some credit, i was quite impressed with the envelope they gave me with my bops season pass, even had "to and from" on..

didnt take out the envelope insurance though:cool:
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member

They'll take controllers but not guitar hero stuff usually. You may get away with it if it is a big store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    £45 for FIFA 13 on PS Vita.. which is essentially FIFA 11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £45 for handheld fifa is daylight robbery, why can't Game just learn there lesson.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I won the lottery I'd start up my own gaming store working a bit like a games workshop where people can come in and play games and have competitions and stuff and open later at night. I'd go to a place where I could game with real people even if they were geeks..
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I won the lottery I'd start up my own gaming store working a bit like a games workshop where people can come in and play games and have competitions and stuff...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away... Game used to do that. Certainly the first one in the Manchester Arndale did and they even ran a few competitions when they opened in Bolton...
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guy on my course worked at GAME until pretty recently. According to him it wasn't actually sales figures that caused the companies problems, he says this idea that Game got in trouble because of being undercut by online retailers isn''t true. If he's right then the reason Game are still expensive is because this wasn't their problem

He said the problem with GAME is they went on an insane expansion. Opening loads of stores, then taking over Gamestation, then opening up in European countries. Amidst this exponential growth was many farcical situations where small towns would have two GAMES or a GAME and Gamestation within 25 metres of each other.

According to him this was alright in 2006/2007/2008/ because everything was doing well, PS3/360 was selling well and the DS and Wii had taken off like a rocket (every title Nintendo seemed to release at this time turned to gold. Wii Fit, Brain training etc). The problem was that circa 2009 the Wii bottomed out and the console went from hero to zero very quickly with consumers, and so that well dried up . Also newly opened Spanish, Italian, Portuguese shops became toxic as the credit crisis hit those countries particularly bad and made video games last thing on peoples mind.

I don't know if what he's saying true but thats paraphrasing what he said. His words not mine :D
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    A guy on my course worked at GAME until pretty recently. According to him it wasn't actually sales figures that caused the companies problems, he says this idea that Game got in trouble because of being undercut by online retailers isn''t true. If he's right then the reason Game are still expensive is because this wasn't their problem

He said the problem with GAME is they went on an insane expansion. Opening loads of stores, then taking over Gamestation, then opening up in European countries. Amidst this exponential growth was many farcical situations where small towns would have two GAMES or a GAME and Gamestation within 25 metres of each other.
    We had 3 Game stores in my town. 1 was on the high street (used to be an EB many moons ago) and the other 2 were in a shopping centre 100m away. 1 was on the 1st floor, the other was on the 3rd floor at the other end of the centre.

I think Game's downfall was a combination of the expansion and competition from cheaper online stores.

They were always busy several years ago, I even picked up my PSP at 7am back in 2005 from one of them (along with a £95 2GB SanDisk Gaming Memory Stick Pro Duo - that was cheap in 2005) but I stopped shopping at retail shortly after that. I can't think of a single PS3 game in my collection that has been purchased at retail and I'm looking at around 130 discs.

I do however use their online store when there are bargains to be had, I just don't shop instore in Game or anywhere else.