Biggest comeback flops.

13»

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyzone's comeback(inspired by Take That's, presumably) was flopping pretty bad until Stephen Gately(RIP) died, as I remember. Rightly or wrongly, it put the spotlight back on them and I think they released another album and did another tour as a result.

Gately's death had nothing do with another album and a tour going ahead. Half the album had been recorded before he died anyway, so it would have always gone ahead even if he lived.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Gately's death had nothing do with another album and a tour going ahead. Half the album had been recorded before he died anyway, so it would have always gone ahead even if he lived.

I see, my mistake.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    For Christina, woulnd't Bionic be classed as her "comeback" album as opposed to Lotus? Bionic was her first album, not inlcuding the Greatest Hits, since Back To Basics was released in 2006. A four year gap between the two, and after she took time out to have Max.
    Bionic had a lot more hype than Lotus. She didn't even promote Lotus outside of the US and even then it was a few short promo shots.

Christina really needs to crawl something back with her next album or else she is totally screwed. Its quite depressing to see so much talent wasted. She had the whole world in her hands after Stripped but I think got given too much control from RCA and in turn its ruined her. Sometimes Divas need to be told when something is shit. Its a shame Linda Perry is no longer her mentor. That's the sort of person Christina needs guiding her again.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guns N Roses.

Without the rest of the band Axl Rose was horrendous !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    For Christina, woulnd't Bionic be classed as her "comeback" album as opposed to Lotus? Bionic was her first album, not inlcuding the Greatest Hits, since Back To Basics was released in 2006. A four year gap between the two, and after she took time out to have Max.

I class Lotus as more of a comeback than Bionic, as with Bionic she wasn't really making a comeback as such imo. Four years isn't really that long between albums, and BTB had been a pretty decent success. She didn't really have anything to "comeback" from. Lotus on the other hand was her attempt at trying to come back from the failure of Bionic, which is why I class it as more of a comeback attempt.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garbages album last year after their hiatus did nothing and wasn't really much good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I was most surprised about No Doubt's lack of success in the UK to be honest. I know their past albums barr Tragic Kingdom were never huge successes, but Gwen Stefani became, well Gwen Stefani after them. Mind you, the promotion was terrible.

Same for Evanescence. Loyal fanbase got them a top five debut, but the single campaigns were a total mess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've done a top 5 worst and top 5 best comebacks check it out- http://musicloudsounds.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/top-5-best-and-5-worst-comebacks-of-all.html

For me it has to be Led Zeppelin 1985 Live Aid. One of the best bands of all time, one of the worst comeback performances ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But even in the US, the album didn't make an impact. I believe it is their lowest selling album since the early days of their career.

Didn't they end the tour early to go back to the studio as a lot of people were claiming it wasn't rock enough like previous albums?