Options

Samsung plasma - black dots

Just wondered if anyone could help with this.

I've got a 50" Samsung Plasma (PS50C680 - just over 4 1/2 years old). I've recently started noticing flickering black pixels inside areas of solid colour, in particular strong Red, Green and Blue.

It's particularly prevalent when the TV is first turned on, but seems to slowly improve after a few minutes of operation.

Thankfully, watching TV/movies isn't such a big deal - i guess because of wide range of colour tones on display (i don't watch football or snooker with large areas of green) but its very noticeable when gaming, especially on console menu screens.

Is there anything I could try to improve this? is there a repair that could be done? Or is the TV simply creeping towards old age and its inevitable failure?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    I 'think' it's a symptom of screen aging - LG had a problem at one time with this effect appearing VERY early in their sets life's, and did a software update to resolve it (by an engineer as I recall, not by an OTA).
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm inclined to agree with the ageing theory. It seems to be the most logical explanation.

Ordinarily I'd be chomping at the bit to replace the thing. Never really needed much of an excuse to buy a new TV, but I'm trying to hold off for a while this time around.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    You might try altering the picture settings, try seeing what effect contrast and brightness have on it.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might try altering the picture settings, try seeing what effect contrast and brightness have on it.

I've tried that. Fiddled with the picture processing functions too. Can't find anything that makes a difference.