Options

Best in store HDMI cables

Hi,

I'm upgrading my TV to a Sony 4K model this weekend and I need to get some additional HDMI cables. I was running a splitter for multiple devices to one TV input before on my old 1080i set.

Has anyone got any recommendations for cables I can pick up in a store - need to be at least 4 meters? Am trying to avoid ordering online so I can get the install done this weekend.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of good and affordable ones on Amazon with delivery tomorrow (or even this evening) available.

With the length you need I would personally go for an Amazon basics 4.6 metre cable for £7.49
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Any HDMI cable as long as it's reasonably well made (well more like got the connections wired up) will do the job :)
    They're for digital signals, they'll either work or not, the only real different between then is how well they hold up to repeated insertions/removals, and even then it's probably cheaper to buy two cheapish ones than a single expensive one (especially at the sort of prices commonly charged for "good" ones).

Personally go for the cheapest you can get for a 4 meter run, as Roush says an Amazon basics cable will be about £7.50, call it £12 if you go with next day delivery (if you need more than one cable get them all at once and save on shipping), which will likely be cheaper than getting the same length in most/any highstreet stores.

At the moment my computers/TV's etc are linked together via a mix of 99p store HDMI cables, and Amazon basics cables depending on what length I needed, how fast I needed it and the best price :) (I picked up 3x one metre cables from B&Q's clearance the other day for spares as they were £1 each).
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Plenty of good and affordable ones on Amazon with delivery tomorrow (or even this evening) available.

With the length you need I would personally go for an Amazon basics 4.6 metre cable for £7.49

I was thinking about these, but with all the confusion of HDMI 1.x and HDMI 2.0 standards I'm still not sure. As I'm updating these for a wall mount installation I want to ensure they are best spec for as long as possible.

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no new cable or connector requirements defined with HDMI 2.0

Existing 'High Speed' cables, such as the Amazon basics ones, will handle the new standard without any problems.

HDMI cables should not be marketed by the version numbers of the HDMI specification anyway.

See here: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh come on we all know that Russ Andrews have the best value HDMI leads.:D
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course, if you don't have Prime, then next day delivery is itself £7.99 I think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, it may not be best value for money for a single cable, but the first post reads as if several are required making the delivery cost much less of a burden.

There's always the Prime free trial if needed...
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on we all know that Russ Andrews have the best value HDMI leads.:D
    Russ Andrews are far too cheap. Have a look online for the prices of Audioquest and Wireworld HDMI cables.

Now they are real value for money (yeah right :D)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Russ Andrews are far too cheap. Have a look online for the prices of Audioquest and Wireworld HDMI cables.

Now they are real value for money (yeah right :D)

On speaker cables though, I think he's got superior value - http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=3378 about £30k for one 3.7m cable
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    On speaker cables though, I think he's got superior value - http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=3378 about £30k for one 3.7m cable

Talk about being one sandwich short of a picnic, you'd have to be the entire picnic short of a picnic to even think that spending 30 grand on a length of wire is in any way shape or form a good idea! :o:D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Of course, if you don't have Prime, then next day delivery is itself £7.99 I think

£1.99 next day delivery to an Amazon Locker, if there is no nearby Amazon Locker I think they now use Local Collect post offices (they have ditched Collect Plus).

Agree with the other cable comments, just need a basic High Speed HDMI cable for 4K. About a tenner for 10m including next day delivery to Amazon Locker.
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies - it's been a while since I needed to nerd up on my cable specs.

Have gone for these ones in the end http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009HYMFEO

Installing later this week, so I will post an update when done.