Lily Allen NEW MUSIC VIDEO Sneak Peak Twerkking

2»

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it but it reminds me of Pink's Stupid Girls. Both the song and the video.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Tim_A wrote: »
    The radio editors will be losing some serious sleep over this :D Not to mention the music video editors....

:D:D:D
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been a stronger song, like the chorus is quite weak for me, however, it needed saying really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically it's "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" meets "Stupid Girls"

Catchy song, but it's been done before. Parody songs are an easy gimmick, but no doubt it will sell.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Lily, welcome back chick, love the lyrics and message.
  • FraxisFraxis Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Anyone know who the 'guy' playing her manager is? Looks like Sue Perkins under heavy prosthetics to me!!!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like this
    I love how it is a total piss take

I don't like the auto tune though on her voice, but then that could also be a piss take to the females who use auto tune as well.

This is pretty much her version of Stupid girls, but a representation of the Pop music today in 2013.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite like the song.:o
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty certain the autotune is a p!sstake too, otherwise it wouldn't be so obvious. The product placements are hilarious. :D
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squirtle wrote: »
    I take it her second hand clothes shop failed then.

I have to assume so, as much as I like her she had no idea what she was doing! :o
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not particularly clever but then I've never bought into her. I will never forget an old interview during her LDN days when she tried to talk up her 'street' credentials by saying she lived on a council estate for a couple of years. So funny. So desperate. Bit like with this video. Because how very clever it is to lampoon Hip Hip culture and it's penchant for its over sexualisation of women by having close up's of women twerqing. I mean it's lazy satire at best. However with the media and the public collectively clutching their pearls about female popstars who show flesh, Lily will no doubt have a great deal of buzz from it.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I don't like it. I want Lily "The Fear" Allen back, please
    I'm no Lily Allen fan, but I thought her last album is pretty good.

22, Everyone's At It, Not Fair, Him, Chinese. All quirky, catchy songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty certain the autotune is a p!sstake too, otherwise it wouldn't be so obvious. The product placements are hilarious. :D

Are they, though? Because even if they are used ironically, those product placements are still funding the video. I've never understood why people get so upset with product placement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish it were released now :(

Think its out next week. Possible she could knock herself from no.1 if her cover of Keane's Somewhere Only We Know manages to overtake the Martin Garrix rubbish house track for no.1 this Sunday. With the John Lewis promo it could well happen.
  • leon_blayerleon_blayer Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    i can't believe people still dont get the parody of her new music video, people moaning(not on this site) about her being two faced for the product placement in the video lol, then u got some black feminist blog moaning about her having all black dancers in the video (even though there is a white dancer on her knees in the vid but hey let's not let that get in the way of crying racism), it's a pretty obvious parody of most music videos being filled black women twerking.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PADDY75 wrote: »
    Not particularly clever but then I've never bought into her. I will never forget an old interview during her LDN days when she tried to talk up her 'street' credentials by saying she lived on a council estate for a couple of years. So funny. So desperate. Bit like with this video. Because how very clever it is to lampoon Hip Hip culture and it's penchant for its over sexualisation of women by having close up's of women twerqing. I mean it's lazy satire at best. However with the media and the public collectively clutching their pearls about female popstars who show flesh, Lily will no doubt have a great deal of buzz from it.

Lily has been one of those cynical, pisstaking artists for a long time, look at LDN, the Fear & Its Not Fair. This is more of the same. The vid is funny & the general response seems positive.
    My issue is that the song is weaker than her previous stuff & yes, very derivitive of Pink, who did it much better years ago.
    With this & the John Lewis ad, Lily is going to storm the UK charts in the next few weeks.
    I welcome her back personally. She can write a decent tune (perhaps not this one) and is intelligent & is a colourful figure
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't too impressed with Lily Allen's obligatory cover for the John Lewis advert but Hard Out Here is brilliant! I see people compare this to Stupid Girls (which is also brilliant) but things have gotten worse in celebrity culture since then and Pink has moved on to sentimental songs so this parody was very much needed.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't too impressed with Lily Allen's obligatory cover for the John Lewis advert but Hard Out Here is brilliant! I see people compare this to Stupid Girls (which is also brilliant) but things have gotten worse in celebrity culture since then and Pink has moved on to sentimental songs so this parody was very much needed.

Feminism has returned (thank god!) so this vid is perfectly timed.

I dont get the fuss over the ethnicity of the women in the vid. Black women ARE exploited horrendously in R & B vids, its a legitimate point to make. Lily has gotten rather defensive over this today, but I think even if it HAD been intentional (it wasnt) she is still making a valid point.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squirtle wrote: »
    I take it her second hand clothes shop failed then.

Yes. I am sure I once read that she was not coming back to make music. A bit short of cash, I suppose,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Feminism has returned (thank god!) so this vid is perfectly timed.

I dont get the fuss over the ethnicity of the women in the vid. Black women ARE exploited horrendously in R & B vids, its a legitimate point to make. Lily has gotten rather defensive over this today, but I think even if it HAD been intentional (it wasnt) she is still making a valid point.
    What is that exactly? Pointing out the oversexualization of women by oversexualizing women for humor purposes doesn't actually prove a point. You are just doing what you are criticizing others for doing for the sake of proving that is wrong, but you are still doing it yourself regardless of the intention. You can't teach a kid not to throw temper tantrums by throwing a temper tantrum just so he can see how ridiculous it is. It doesnt work that way.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can see both sides of the argument here. i mean, i get where she is coming from, but its been touched on before by others and even herself to a degree on "the fear". her irony or cynicism is perhaps lost on others at times, but actually launching a song like this coming immediately on the heels of a successful retail advertising campaign, which as sent her profile soaring, will obviously raise cynical eyebrows. i think she is very clever though and realises there will be divisive opinions about the whole scenario. people are talking about her again though and her return is big news in music circles.

the song is good, the video is satiric, but its not come back worthy material in my opinion. she is a fascinating artist though and i applaud her launching this comeback at a time when lots of high profile female artists are releasing new music.:)
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The autotune pisses me off so much cos I love Lily, love this video and probably would love this song if you could hear her voice. I get that it's designed to be a parody but if it's being released as an actual single I can't take it seriously, I find the chorus practically unlistenable with the autotune
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I love it.

It's amusing and better than most songs at the moment.