Options

DSFE Diamond Jubilee Special: The Best Song from Contests 1-60

Comments

• Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    162. Luxembourg - Within Temptation - Stand My Ground (DSFE20: Barcelona, 3rd, Damien.) 29.71%

4th of all Luxembourgian Songs
    2nd of all Damien. Songs

Not to be confused with DamienS, Damien. was the founder of DSFE and with this song he bought back former winners of this contest Within Temptation, they nearly did the double but fell just short and finished in 3rd. Their winning entry will be coming up later on in the rundown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    161. England - Paloma Faith - Upside Down (DSFE7: Torshavn, 3rd, steeleuro_wolf) 29.79%

4th of all English Songs
    1st of all steeleuro_wolf Songs

The song that bough Paloma to the attention of the masses, this catchy little number did well enough to come home in third place in Torshavn, it also went on to become the music for a Strictly Come Dancing trailer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    160. Morocco - Sofia Essaidi - Femme D'Aujourdhui (DSFE3: Moscow, 2nd, Nicky2win87) 29.86%

2nd of all Moroccan Songs
    1st of all Nicky2win87 Songs

It's the second and last entry from Nicky in this list, which like his first also came from the 3rd contest from Moscow. This entry mixes some Arabic sounds with a traditional euro-pop vibe which very nearly earned Morocco a surprise win in DSFE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    159. France - Matt Pokora - A Nos Actes Manques (DSFE7: Torshavn, 2nd, Damien.) 30.30%

4th of all French Songs
    1st of all Damien. Songs

Straight back to Torshavn and the runner-up from that contest was Matt Pokora from France, the French had a very long to achieve their first win which they finally did when Matt won the contest in 2013, that song will appear later in the rundown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =157. Russia - Yolka - Provans (DSFE1: Dublin, 3rd, AxG) 30.35%

5th of all Russian Songs
    4th of all AxG Songs

It's the bronze medalist from the very first contest next and a forum member who has also been around since day 1, AxG might not have as many top 3's as some others but it just wouldn't be DSFE without him.

=157. Denmark - Aqua - My Mamma Said (DSFE10: Yerevan, 3rd, Eloise Tardella) 30.35%

4th of all Danish Songs
    1st of all Eloise Tardella Songs

It's 90's cheesy pop legends Aqua up next with a distinctly non-cheesy and serious entry, this modern pop song showed a different side to the group and was well received enough to earn the group a bronze medal in the Yerevan contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    156. England - Joe McElderry - Someone Wake Me Up (DSFE20: Barcelona, 2nd, thomizzle) 30.43%

3rd of all English Songs
    4th of all thomizzle Songs

X Factor, Popstar to Opera Star and The Jump winner Joe McElderry next, the man is used to winning, so coming 2nd must have been a weird experience for him, but that was the best he could manage in Barcelona, however it's still nothing to be sniffed at.
  • Options
    AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Falling Slowly and Stand My Ground are top tier imo. Also like Sons & Lovers and Dia's song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =153. Norway - Marit Larsen - Don't Save Me (DSFE3: Moscow, 1st, Alecto) 30.55%

=10th of all Norwegian Songs
    1st of all Alecto Songs

Our first Norwegian song to fall and it is their first winner as well, this song was victorious in the 3rd contest in Moscow, it is the second winning song to leave the contest and is one of many songs by a forum member part of a banning gate situation.

=153. Norway - Maria Mena - All This Time (DSFE13: Helsingborg, 3rd, BethnalGreen) 30.55%

=10th of all Norwegian Songs
    1st of all BethnalGreen Songs

Our resident recapper Beth makes her only appearance in the rundown with foul mouthed Maria (thankfully she restrained from swearing in this entry), it is the second Norwegian to leave in this joint position and this entry came from the edition where banning gate took place, it originally came 5th but after the bans it moved up to 3rd (so I'm sure Beth may be secretly happy those bans came about).

=153. Luxembourg - Kensington - Streets (DSFE52: Tirana, 3rd, Alexos) 30.55%

3rd of all Luxembourgian Songs
    7th of all Alexos Songs

The most consistently performing forum member turns up now with their first entry to fall by the wayside, it's slightly surprising Alexos only has 7 top 3 finishes considering he has won so many times and seems ever present in the final, but that is what it is. This entry came 3rd earlier this year and narrowly lost out in the Luxembourg CofC NF a few days ago on countback.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =151. Finland - Jenni Vartiainen - En Haluu Kuolla Tana Yona (DSFE17: Runavik, 3rd, Saturn) 30.68%

6th of all Finnish Songs
    8th of all Saturn Songs

There was a time when we must have all thought Saturn was going to dominate this contest and potentially take over the world, however like all fazes it didn't last and he is one of many to have come and gone from DSFE, Jenni is a regular in DSFE and this is her highest placing entry.

=151. Russia - Grigory Leps & Ani Lorak - Mirrors (DSFE46: Jyvaskyla, 3rd, Night_driver) 30.68%

4th of all Russian Songs
    3rd of all Night_driver Songs

It's everyone's favourite shady lady Ani Lorak singing with Russian Girgory Leps, Ani's record here hasn't been quite as imperious as her Eurovision record, but this emotional power ballad duet rocketed her into the top 3 late last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =149. Germany - Mandy Capristo - Closer (DSFE29: Aberystwyth, 3rd, DamienS) 30.79%

4th of all German Songs
    4th of all DamienS Songs

This song scored the same points as the runner-up from contest 29 and that song will be revealed next, but first this song. It's a traditional eurovision style power ballad with a video which followed a theme that has been seen many a time in DSFE, that being one of someone being run over by a car.

=149. Wales - Three Graces - Requiem (DSFE29: Aberystwyth, 2nd, Pooley) 30.79%

4th of all Welsh Songs
    7th of all Pooley Songs

It's not often you get something really classy in DSFE, but this proved that when it's done well good results will follow. This beat out the German song on countback to take second for Pooley, who achieved the ultimate dream of not only coming 2nd but also winning the contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =147. Italy - Chiara - Due Respiri (DSFE34: Trondheim, 3rd, 21stCenturyBoy) 30.90%

3rd of all Italian Songs
    7th of all 21stCenturyBoy Songs

Chiara has become a bit of a regular in this contest in recent times, but like all her Italian counterparts she just hasn't managed to make the leap from bridesmaid to bride. This is her best performing entry, 3rd place in the Trondheim contest.

=147. Germany - Anastacia, Stupid Little Things (DSFE52: Tirana, 2nd, EuanDesu) 30.90%

3rd of all German Songs
    1st of all EuanDesu Songs

There aren't many voices bigger than Anastacias' and her comeback song from earlier in the year saw her narrowly miss out on winning the whole contest, whilst the entry is slightly tainted by being sent in by the infamous Euan no-one can deny it's deserving place on this rundown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    146. Wallonia - Trixie Whitley - Breathe You In My Dreams (DSFE41: Aarhus, 3rd, penguinperson) 31%

2nd of all Wallonian Songs
    7th of all penguinperson Songs

Despite being in far less contests Wallonia have actually made 2 top 3's compared to Belgium's single top 3, Trixie as made a few appearances in DSFE over the years and this is her best performing entry, she made a return this year but it was a disappointing return as she made an early exit from the contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    145. Bulgaria - Milenita - Cherni Kotaraci (DSFE2: Prague, 3rd, thms) 31.09%

3rd of all Bulgarian Songs
    1st of all thms Songs

Until Oonagh came along this was the best Bulgaria had managed in DSFE, this rather bizarre entry was very much of its time and would probably struggle in today's contest, but that doesn't matter as it still takes it's place in this rundown after coming 3rd in Prague in the very second edition of DSFE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    144. Norway - Katzenjammer - Lady Gray (DSFE60: Lisbon, 3rd, MissMidgard) 31.11%

9th of all Norwegian Songs
    1st of all MissMidgard Songs

From taking a trip back a few years with our last song, we are only going back a few weeks for this one as we unveil the bronze medalist from the last contest. This was the first top 3 for MissM and also for the folky group of Katzenjammer.
  • Options
    PooleyPooley Posts: 5,062
    Forum Member
    ahhh requiem <3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    143. France - Sarah Riani - Intouchable (DSFE13: Helsingborg, 2nd, stanld03) 31.34%

3rd of all French Songs
    3rd of all stanld03 Songs

We are back to the original banning gate edition, without the bans this song only managed 4th but moved up to 2nd once the bans had been removed. Rather cruely stanld03 thought he has taken his debut win when he was declared as the winner once the votes had been tallied however a set of votes had been missed out and not counted and those votes ripped victory from his grasps, he is still yet to savour the sweet taste of victory, so here's hoping 2015 will finally be his year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    142. Norway - Marit Larsen - If A Song Could Get Me You (DSFE19: Orebro, 3rd, Pooley) 31.37%

8th of all Norwegian Songs
    6th of all Pooley Songs

Marit makes her second appearance today and surprisingly beats her winning song with this song which came 3rd, it's another quirky guitar pop song a genre which has always done well in DSFE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    141. Belarus - Kadebostany - Walking With A Ghost (DSFE53: Sofia, 3rd, avb) 31.41%

1st of all Belarus Songs
    7th of al avb Songs

The only Belarussian entry on this list, this quirky little number gave Belarus an all too rare high finish in the contest, the band went on to appear again later in the year where they once again made the final.
  • Options
    Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    =147. Germany - Anastacia, Stupid Little Things (DSFE52: Tirana, 2nd, EuanDesu) 30.90%

3rd of all German Songs
    1st of all EuanDesu Songs

There aren't many voices bigger than Anastacias' and her comeback song from earlier in the year saw her narrowly miss out on winning the whole contest, whilst the entry is slightly tainted by being sent in by the infamous Euan no-one can deny it's deserving place on this rundown.
    dont think its deserved at all, completely appaling entry (and judged as such in cofc thank god)
    145. Bulgaria - Milenita - Cherni Kotaraci (DSFE2: Prague, 3rd, thms) 31.09%

3rd of all Bulgarian Songs
    1st of all thms Songs

Until Oonagh came along this was the best Bulgaria had managed in DSFE, this rather bizarre entry was very much of its time and would probably struggle in today's contest, but that doesn't matter as it still takes it's place in this rundown after coming 3rd in Prague in the very second edition of DSFE.
    never heard this before but i actually really like it. different for sure though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    141-180

141. Belarus - Kadebostany - Walking With A Ghost - 31.41% (avb)
    142. Norway - Marit Larsen - If A Song Could Get Me You - 31.37% (Pooley)
    143. France - Sarah Riani - Intouchable - 31.34% (stanld03)
    144. Norway - Katzenjammer - Lady Gray - 31.11% (MissMidgard)
    145. Bulgaria - Milenita - Cherni Kotaraci - 31.09% (thms)
    146. Wallonia - Trixie Whitley - Breathe You In My Dreams - 31% (penguinperson)
    147. Italy - Chiara - Due Respiri - 30.90% (21stCenturyBoy)
    147. Germany - Anastacia - Stupid Little Things - 30.90% (EuanDesu)
    149. Wales - Three Graces - Requiem - 30.79% (Pooley)
    149. Germany - Mandy Capristo - Closer - 30.79% (DamienS)
    151. Finland - Jenni Vartiainen - En Haluu Kuolla Tana Yona - 30.68% (Saturn)
    151. Russia - Grigory Leps & Ani Lorak - Mirrors - 30.68% (Night_driver)
    153. Norway - Marit Larsen - Don't Save Me - 30.55% (Alecto)
    153. Norway - Maria Mena - All This Time - 30.55% (BethnalGreen)
    153. Luxembourg - Kensington - Streets - 30.55% (Alexos)
    156. England - Joe McElderry - Someone Wake Me Up - 30.43% (thomizzle)
    157. Russia - Yolka - Provans - 30.35% (AxG)
    157. Denmark - Aqua - My Mamma Said - 30.35% (Eloise Tardella)
    159. France - Matt Pokora - A Nos Actes Manques - 30.30% (Damien.)
    160. Morocco - Sofia Essaidi - Femme D'Aujourdhui - 29.86% (Nicky2win87)
    161. England - Paloma Faith - Upside Down - 29.79% (steeleuro_wolf)
    162. Luxembourg - Within Temptation - Stand My Ground - 29.71% (Damien.)
    163. Netherlands - Dia Frampton - Broken Ones - 29.66% (avb)
    164. Greenland - A Friend In London ft Carly Rae Jepsen - Rest From The Streets - 29.58% (Hungergames)
    165. Czech Republic - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - Falling Slowly - 29.51% (cherubmattd)
    166. Lebanon - Tone Damli ft Eric Saade - Imagine - 29.48% (Gwen 404)
    167. Greenland - Emmelie de Forest - Rainmaker - 28.73% (Stu93)
    167. England - Sons & Lovers - Lover - 28.73% (jackel1234)
    169. Sweden - Timotej - Het - 28.70% (youngswede)
    169. Austria - Edenbridge - Higher - 28.70% (Eloise Tardella)
    169. Greece - Helena - Paper House - 28.70% (avb)
    172. France - Jenifer - Donne-Moi Le Temps - 28.12% (AcerBen)
    172. Netherlands - IlseDe Lange - Miracle - 28.12% (dylanpartyon)
    174. Sweden - Molly Sanden - Unchained - 28.08% (21stCenturyBoy)
    175. Czech Republic - Debbi - You Take Me There - 28% (kvn)
    176. France - Matthieu Mendes ft Pomme - Okay - 27.87% (Carlisle156)
    177. Italy - Elisa - Someone To Love - 27.77% (Nicky2win87)
    178. England - George Ezra - Did You Hear The Rain? - 27.58% (Night_driver)
    179. Spain - Sweet California - Comprende (It's Over) - 26.75% (phill363)
    180. Bulgaria - Miro - Power - 26.14% (thomizzle)
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw sad to see the demise of Trixie Whitley, the second Marit Larsen song, Kadebostany & 'Intouchable'.

I forgot it was Stan who was originally declared winner before it changed. :( I would be really sad if that happened to me ... Although with Avb being made the winner I went on to get my second 4th in a row and back in the day good results were few and far between.
  • Options
    PooleyPooley Posts: 5,062
    Forum Member
    wait did david just admit he liked one of my songs ...... ;) haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    140. Estonia - Elina Born - Miss Calculation (DSFE48: Longyearbyen, 1st, Alexos) 31.60%

1st of all Estonian Songs
    6th of all Alexos Songs

We start today with the winner of the first contest of 2014, Estonia have a rather poor record in DSFE with this being their one and only top 3 finish in their history. They may have hoped this would have been a springboard to something better this year however it wasn't to be as Estonia slipped back into average results with just the odd final appearance here and there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    139. France - Shy'm - Je Suis Moi (DSFE4: Oslo, 3rd, kvn) 31.70%

2nd of all French Songs
    11th of all kvn Songs

It's DSFE regular Shy'm now with her best placing song all the way back in contest number 4. This leaves France with just one song remaining in the contest and with 138 songs left to be revealed they will be hoping it doesn't appear too soon. The video also features Eurovision and DSFE winner Conchita :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    138. Israel - Shiri Maimon - Waiting For An Answer (DSFE30: Amsterdam, 3rd, MiesBouwman) 31.81%

3rd of all Israeli Songs
    9th of all MiesBouwman Songs

Everyone's favourite big-voiced Israeli now with her most successful DSFE entry, this is Mies first entry to leave the contest but he won't be too sad as he has another 8 more still to be revealed. At the time this was Israel's best result, although seeing Lebanon take the victory in this contest must have been a bitter pill for Israel to taste.