2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,716
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Hi Penalty, :)

Yes both systems are excellent.

The main advantage of EPDM over GRP is movement.

An EPDM roof will move with the building/roof that fact is actually used as a selling point but IMO it's a little misleading as roof/buildings have all ways expanded and contracted, much less so now that all roofs are vented.

And if a building/roof is moving as much as EPDM allows, you have problems anyway.

You can walk on them OK, it's any constant walking/use on such a roof that may cause problems, they can be punctured and it's a dickens to find the leak with such a system.

An another advantage of an EPDM system over GRP is you can see how thick the roof covering is, the chance of such a roof leaking, first time around is very small but not unknown.

IMO EPDM is exceptionaly suited for very large flat roof areas so long as it's not trouped upon.

Also, in very hot weather, I can smell it.

The dis-advantage of GRP is it's only as good as the person who lays it, if it's laid uniformly.

Get that right, and that's down to experience and workmanship, you have a roof that's extremely hardy in all weathers and will give years and years of service and out last felt many times over.

GRP is very much lighter then an EPDM or felt system and for many flat roof areas that's a good thing.

And in people use, it's more forgiving.

As with everthing, it's the preparation and working methodically with GRP, all decking should be screwed.

And no don't jump, you want to be around and see how long your EPDM roof will last, which will be a hell of a long time. :) but then so will GRP.

:eek: Long post :D

I am not a rep for EPDM :D

I agree with what you are saying

The guy who did mine did a realy good job and like you said it's all in the prep work

I plastered and rendered my house,so i had it done then about 6 years ago now no problems so far (touch wood) :o

I can't smell anything in the summer though,but saying that we don't get much sun in Wales :D

Ok i won't jump,it would be waste of money :D

If i do have any problems can i give you a call

I can pay you in Lamb :D
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Long post :D

I am not a rep for EPDM :D

I agree with what you are saying

The guy who did mine did a realy good job and like you said it's all in the prep work

I plastered and rendered my house,so i had it done then about 6 years ago now no problems so far (touch wood) :o

I can't smell anything in the summer though,but saying that we don't get much sun in Wales :D

Ok i won't jump,it would be waste of money :D

If i do have any problems can i give you a call

I can pay you in Lamb
    :D

:) Yeh no problems.

Thanks, that's reminded me must order one in for Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    :) Yeh no problems.

Thanks, that's reminded me must order one in for Christmas.

what , a whole lamb :eek: , any spare seats :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what , a whole lamb :eek: , any spare seats :D

:D The Seacam's Christmas gathering can be large, it will be this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D The Seacam's Christmas gathering can be large, it will be this year.

you aint kidding , i love lamb , the wife hates it , ahh sod it , its not like she would be forced to eat it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you aint kidding , i love lamb , the wife hates it , ahh sod it , its not like she would be forced to eat it :D

How the hell did we get from flat roofs to lamb Paul. :D oh well.

Anyway lamb, me to, we have turkey for those that want it but most of us prefer beef or lamb.

And don't get me started on corned lamb, mmmm, great stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How the hell did we get from flat roofs to lamb Paul. :D oh well.

Anyway lamb, me to, we have turkey for those that want it but most of us prefer beef or lamb.

And don't get me started on corned lamb, mmmm, great stuff?

dont care !! , corned lamb , as in a tin like corned beef ?? , will have to look that up :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont care !! , corned lamb , as in a tin like corned beef ?? , will have to look that up :D

Yes but you won't get it in this country.

For a brief moment of time it was available here in the UK about fourteen years ago, a massive shipment went astray.

I get mine shipped from NZ or brought in by friends.

Oddly none of my kids took to it accept one of the boys and the wife doesn't like corned anything,--not really.

So I get it all for myself, yesssssssssss. :)

It's very tasty, $2 a tin over there and arm and a leg to get it here but well worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes but you won't get it in this country.

For a brief moment of time it was available here in the UK about fourteen years ago, a massive shipment went astray.

I get mine shipped from NZ or brought in by friends.

Oddly none of my kids took to it accept one of the boys and the wife doesn't like corned anything,--not really.

So I get it all for myself, yesssssssssss. :)

It's very tasty, $2 a tin over there and arm and a leg to get it here but well worth it.

yes , i might have to pass on that , £10 / tin for a single tin delivered :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Gorilla,

Unless I'm reading your posts wrong, it's not a GRP felt that's being recommended although I agree with you, that is so much better then old mineral type felt.

This is glass fibre matting laid on top of decking, then a hardener/catalyst applied on top for each application, and it's a cold application.

You can have color added to GRP and leave it to a very smooth finish or grit it while tacky to give the roof area a grip/surface. :)

Well whatever it is called it comes on large rolls and isn't felt as such. It is some sort of glass fibre material I believe and van be applied using bitumen and is supposed to last a good few years as well.

As I said to me it is felt, but that is because I only work with wood and wood related products. Although I'm studying to be an electrical engineer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    my garage roof is leaking , as i have no intention of ever moving , well not unless i win the lottery !! , i will be getting some quotes for GRP , i know an excellent roofer , i am not sure if he does GRP though , anyone want to offer up a roofer on teesside who does GRP , sorry for the hijack The Deebster :o:D

My shed roof leaked badly so I covered it in sterling board and then put metal cladding on top of that.Will last a lifetime. It is 18' x 9' and cost about £150.00 and was well worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobbox wrote: »
    My shed roof leaked badly so I covered it in sterling board and then put metal cladding on top of that.Will last a lifetime. It is 18' x 9' and cost about £150.00 and was well worth it.

sounds good but my garage roof is a bit more involved than a lean to or simple double pitch :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi bobbox,

Do you mean corrugated sheeting and is your shed roof flat or pitched?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Hi bobbox,

Do you mean corrugated sheeting and is your shed roof flat or pitched?

The shed roof is flat and the cladding is like you see on modern warehouse type buildings.It comes in all colours and various profiles and is galvanised steel and a thin coating of coloured plastic.Really good stuff.Then you just screw it to the joists/perlins with tek screws and job done.You can also get flashings made whatever size you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shed roof is flat and the cladding is like you see on modern warehouse type buildings.It comes in all colours and various profiles and is galvanised steel and a thin coating of coloured plastic.Really good stuff.Then you just screw it to the joists/perlins with tek screws and job done.You can also get flashings made whatever size you want.
    Hi Bob,

I was curious. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All,

Thought I'd give a quick update as I've had a quote for a glass fibre roof for the dormer. Have to have scaffold as I thought and the quote has come in at £833. Which was actually a lot less than I was expecting!!!

I might also ask them to do some pointing on the chimney stack while the scaffold is there as it seems too good an opportunity to miss and it needs doing.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and helping me out with my confusion! :o