ITV Player - Without the Ads!

Hi All

Just wanted to pass on a good tip...

I very rarely use ITV Player, but I stopped by as I'd missed something.

I remembered from a previous visit that there are ads with this player, but on this visit there were none, this is good I thought, but didn't think anything of it, until on my next visit the ads were back - it was only then I realised that Peer Guardian was off!

After re-engaging PG the ads are again totally gone, but the player works perfectly - great news for anyone who uses this player often - spread the word ;-)

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Does it work for 4OD? Not that ads are as big a nuisance on that service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Just had a quick test at 4OD, and it looks like the same effect doesn't occur, the whole stream is blocked. I disabled PG to let the stream start, then re-engaged PG, but it just all stopped.

Oh well ;-)
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox with AdBlockerPlus does the same job for me. Seems to work on 4oD as well.

K
    Forum Member
    Gone off Firefox a bit since Chrome, but that's good - I wonder if the Player makers will try and get round this - 'spose they will eventually.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great tip really.

ITV without Asd ultimately means 'no ITV'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All depends on whether you see "catchupTV" as a revenue stream in its own right or a way for someone to catch the start of a series that they might have missed, thus boosting the audience for the subsequent episodes on "normal telly"...

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chillmax wrote: »
    Gone off Firefox a bit since Chrome, but that's good - I wonder if the Player makers will try and get round this - 'spose they will eventually.
    Without knowing too much of the technicalities, I would have thought that the simplest idea would be to put it together as a single video stream and disabling buffering - that should work, shouldn't it? The downside would be that they wouldn't be able to show different ads to different people (depending on some "cookie-based demographics" or "regionalisation" or somesuch).

K
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I turn Peer Guardian off then? Never heard of it! Is it on Firefox or on ITV Player? The ads annoy me. Thanks.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    chillmax wrote: »
    Just had a quick test at 4OD, and it looks like the same effect doesn't occur, the whole stream is blocked. I disabled PG to let the stream start, then re-engaged PG, but it just all stopped.
    Oh well ;-)

Works perfectly on 4OD with Kaspersky banner blocker. ITV player too. Straight into the programme.
    Forum Member
    How do I turn Peer Guardian off then? Never heard of it! Is it on Firefox or on ITV Player? The ads annoy me. Thanks.

Peer Guardian is an indie app that you will need to DL & install. It's very easy, it will set itself up with a few clicks from you & away you go; just get it from the official site, & it's totally free with no registration required.

Occasionally some sites won't run when PG is active, so just right click on the icon near the clock (bottom right on PCs) and click Disable.

Some people only run PG when they're DL-ing torrents, as it's supposed to block most tracking, which is does really well. So just visiting any old web page you don't really need to worry about tracking, as it can just enable page customisation for your visit; some very big sites are inaccessible with PG running - the BBC for instance!
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Not a great tip really.

ITV without Asd ultimately means 'no ITV'.

A little bit of a flip comment, and not taking into account that I will completely ignore the ads anyway - turning down the sound, looking at something else until the show starts etc.

If advertisers really think that anyone is paying attention to adverts in an internet stream they really are listening to the people that are selling the ad space too closely.

Lowering their prices & or paying their suppliers better are far more likely to attract my attention; more bandwidth munching garbage I can do without ;-)
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of ITV ads, This is the same for SeeSaw.com ads

ad3.liverail.com
    ad4.liverail.com

liverail.com is where it comes from and is a video ads streaming in .flv

"LiveRail for Advertisers is a complete video ad management platform for agencies and advertisers. Designed from the ground up to address the unique opportunities of online video, LFA is the next-generation solution for large-scale media buys in IP-distributed video."
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only way to watch ITV Player without ads without worrying is through Virgin TV on-demand
  • Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the FireFox browser with the Adblock Plus add-on stripped the ads out of the itv.com shows last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago).
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    the only way to watch ITV Player without ads without worrying is through Virgin TV on-demand
    Kaspersky. :D