celebs that hide the fact they are gay

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just been reading a biography of Joan Crawford. Fascinating stuff, so many of the leading men and women in films were gay in the 30s 40s and they all had 'lavender' marriages arranged by the studios to put the press off the scent.

From the sounds of it everyone (gay or straight) was highly promiscuous. Joan had several gay husbands and seems to have bedded more men (and a few women) than I've had hot dinners!
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Have just been reading a biography of Joan Crawford. Fascinating stuff, so many of the leading men and women in films were gay in the 30s 40s and they all had 'lavender' marriages arranged by the studios to put the press off the scent.

From the sounds of it everyone (gay or straight) was highly promiscuous. Joan had several gay husbands and seems to have bedded more men (and a few women) than I've had hot dinners!

I agree there were quite a few gay men around in the 30's 40's and 50's when they couldn't come out and had to lead secret lifes and get married. I doubt they were promiscuous as I am sure many of them were afraid to broach the subject of homosexuality with anyone else. Even though we are in 2010 I think many people would like gay people to remain firmly enclosed in the closet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they would get less work and endorsements if they came out.. Rupert Everett has talked about it, plus a lot of American society is quite conservative who, along with advertisers, like the 'wholesome' image.

It's easier for older and established people to come out, like Ian McKellan and Stephen Fry. They're British as well, I guess.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    CJ32 wrote: »
    I think they would get less work and endorsements if they came out.. Rupert Everett has talked about it, plus a lot of American society is quite conservative who, along with advertisers, like the 'wholesome' image.

It's easier for older and established people like Ian McKellan and Stephen Fry. They're British as well, I guess.

It's never easy for somone to "come out" It takes a lot of courage and all credit is due to those who have esp: Ian McKellan and Stephen Fry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    It's never easy for somone to "come out" It takes a lot of courage and all credit is due to those who have esp: Ian McKellan and Stephen Fry.

No, it isn't easy. Sorry if it came across that way. I just meant easier in comparison to a younger man who would likely be looking to get work playing romantic leads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cindylover wrote: »
    Actually, if a "Most Homophobic Countries On The Planet" chart were to be made, the USA likely wouldn't come very high. Plenty of that kind of thing over there for sure (and over here), but compared to other countries... let me put it this way; it's not illegal to be gay in America.

But the USA is very pro- traditional family. The UK does have it better for gay people, but the fact people want to conceal their sexuality shouldn't matter.
    Many celebs exist on selling a front, the fact is the celeb we see is very different from what happens behind the scenes.
    I don't think it's right to say "I'm Gay", but better to do something like Joe Jonas saying his crush was Daniel Craig. I personally think we're getting a raft of celebs pretending to be gay when they are straight to manipulate the gay crowd.
    Anyway, I remember there being a story of how an American artist being manufactured by mainly British staff told the artist to sell only America and say she was a product of 100% USA - and even say she didn't like Britain (Even though she had more British talent behind her). It was about the American Dream. As long as they lead a happy private life, and a happy celeb life - they shouldn't be forced to come out unless they want to.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTTango wrote: »
    Is the above video about the only 'straight' 50 year-old, goodlooking, multi-millionaire batchelor in history by any chance. ;)
    I wonder why he hasn't found a wife yet, no takers:rolleyes:

He apparently won't come out publically for his mum's sake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the above video about the only 'straight' 50 year-old, goodlooking, multi-millionaire batchelor in history by any chance. ;)
    I wonder why he hasn't found a wife yet, no takers:rolleyes:

And he says 'I am not gay'! :eek:

I found the clip and thought no wonder our 50 year old batchelor boy wanted it disposed of.
  • TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    tegan1973 wrote: »
    And he says 'I am not gay'! :eek:

I found the clip and thought no wonder our 50 year old batchelor boy wanted it disposed of.

Max Clifford says our 50 year old batchelor boy is not gay, so he can't be gay. and the news of the world also says our
    50 year old batchelor boy is not gay so he is definately NOT GAY.It must be true it's in NOTW:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Clifford says our 50 year old batchelor boy is not gay, so he can't be gay. and the news of the world also says our
    50 year old batchelor boy is not gay so he is definately NOT GAY.It must be true it's in NOTW:D

Also, would it affect his acceptance is the US? His shows are so popular over there. Do you think the consequences of coming out for a TV personality would be as huge as for a Hollywood actor?
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard it's Louis who can't come out as it will upset his mum.

I would love to see the whole of the interview with Max Clifford, with all the comments he makes it seems like he is dying to spill the beans.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    As long as someone isn't hypocritical e.g. voting or speaking out against gay equality then what people do in their private lives is a matter for them. I don't care who an actor sleeps with - I am more interested in if he can act.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »

Its a lot easier if you are a rich luvvie in the arts - maybe not so easy if you are a young muslim or live on a council estate/ Stephen Fry - gay? - how could you have guessed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    allie5 wrote: »
    Its still on Youtube and how VERY enlightening it is too :) .

Max definitely has a nasty streak - he saves up little nuggets of info and wont hesitate to use them if he feels he has been shafted.

Is there a link for this? Can't find it on youtube... would be much appreciated if someone can post it / pm me :)
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OTD wrote: »
    Is there a link for this? Can't find it on youtube... would be much appreciated if someone can post it / pm me :)

Strangely, it has now been removed :D:D .

Never fear, some people have it saved to their hard drives. I will see what I can do.....
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it has been removed. Isn't this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6HxmXuKBE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it has been removed. Isn't this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6HxmXuKBE

Oh No, no, no...that is 2 minutes of clips...what you need to see is the entire one hour show :D Dynamite stuff ;) When you see it, you'll know exactly why its been buried.
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, it has now been removed :D:D .

Never fear, some people have it saved to their hard drives. I will see what I can do.....

ohhh...i would love to see the whole thing if at all possible??

please.:D
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh No, no, no...that is 2 minutes of clips...what you need to see is the entire one hour show :D Dynamite stuff ;) When you see it, you'll know exactly why its been buried.

I did watch the show when it went out, but I can't remember thinking there were any big revelations in it at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did watch the show when it went out, but I can't remember thinking there were any big revelations in it at the time.

Well nothing is spelled out in black and white, you have to join the dots. Which isnt particularly hard.

I'll try and upload it to YouTube later - but it probably wont last long ;) .
  • cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its not so much about "revelations" more about pretty much his whole modus operandi being revealed and a peak at the non friendly side of "uncle maxford" when things dont go his way. Though he does pretty much expose most of his own clients in a roundabout way ... believe me, he werent expecting it to go the way it did and he has tried ever since to well and truly bury it.

Almost as smart as the two Geordies people who have quietly bought up (at massive expense) almost every piece of TV footage the pair have ever appeared in so it can't be used against them in years to come - can't imagine why they have been taking pre-emptive action all these years! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyrilsneer wrote: »
    Its not so much about "revelations" more about pretty much his whole modus operandi being revealed and a peak at the non friendly side of "uncle maxford" when things dont go his way. Though he does pretty much expose most of his own clients in a roundabout way ... believe me, he werent expecting it to go the way it did and he has tried ever since to well and truly bury it.

Almost as smart as the two Geordies people who have quietly bought up (at massive expense) almost every piece of TV footage the pair have ever appeared in so it can't be used against them in years to come - can't imagine why they have been taking pre-emptive action all these years! :o

Oh Ive had experience with the two Geordies....they dont like ANY negative press AT ALL. Ive got some red hot dirt on the tiniest one and wish it would all come out and ruin the odious little creep. Their management is utterly paranoid about anything that is being written about them and the lengths they go to, to maintain their "family friendly" image is quite extreme.

At least the "50 yr old bachelor" is a nice guy with a sense of humour - Sir Max can be a little bit heavy handed with his PR spin but its not NEARLY so bad as the Geordies are with theirs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Ive had experience with the two Geordies....they dont like ANY negative press AT ALL. Ive got some red hot dirt on the tiniest one and wish it would all come out and ruin the odious little creep. Their management is utterly paranoid about anything that is being written about them and the lengths they go to, to maintain their "family friendly" image is quite extreme.

Yeah i've heard a bit about the smallest one, all the girlfriends seem to be presenters or actresses in it for the profile and hes got a temper. They put their actions down to just them protecting themselves but it doesnt add up why they would go to such extreme lengths unless their were some big skeletons.

I like MC too. Found him a bit annoying how he acted in the whole Jade thing but he definitely did the job right for his client and if he has put Tweed out of the picture, or someone else has, once he started getting out of control that would have been a very clever move on her behalf and wouldn't surprise me when you look at past actions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    cyrilsneer wrote: »
    Yeah i've heard a bit about the smallest one, all the girlfriends seem to be presenters or actresses in it for the profile and hes got a temper. They put their actions down to just them protecting themselves but it doesnt add up why they would go to such extreme lengths unless their were some big skeletons.

I wonder how the whole award mistake went down with them? Wasn't it the Angel-ic singer that presented it to them pulling the strings?

And there has been talk about his relationship with one of them.... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ2008 wrote: »
    I wonder how the whole award mistake went down with them? Wasn't it the Angel-ic singer that presented it to them pulling the strings?

Verrrry embarrassing ... yes amazing how Angel has always done a lot of their shows and very few others. :cool: