Options

Richard Bacon how the hell does he get this job

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    BilsonB wrote: »
    I have kept an eye on this thread for a while, and feel the need to share that in last rajars Bacon had highest reach that the 2pm-4pm slot has ever had. Ever.

Personally I quite like the show.

Personally I'm happy that Adrian VK is the Controller and not any of you guys :)

Yea right sure he has. If Bacon’s figures were so great we would never have heard the end of it from a self publicist like Bacon. Also 5 Live would have spun the figures relentlessly (as they did for other presenters) in the light of all the criticism they received over Bacon taking over from Mayo. The likes of VD, Livesey and NC all went on about their Rajars but Bacon was noticeably quiet on them. If 5 Live did get their highest ever reach for 2-4 it was probably during an England World Cup game and nothing to do with Bacon. A poster on here is hardly a reliable source when the station itself hasn’t released the figures.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Interesting as I read AVK saying on the Five Live blog that individual programmes listening figures were not available apart from for breakfast. So he has more listeners than Mayo did? I am surprised this shocking news has not been released before or tweeted by Bacon ;)

Well I am obviously totally wrong about Bacon then.:p

If that's correct, then I'm afraid AVK is lying. Stations get quarter hour breakdowns of listening figures, but rarely publish those outside breakfast.

Mainly because most ordinary people don't care whether they're listening to the most popular or lease popular presenter - but also because the very fine detail is industry-sensitive data which other stations could use to their advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A poster on here is hardly a reliable source when the station itself hasn’t released the figures.

Are you calling the poster a liar? Equally we could argue that nasty comments on DS are no reflection of public opinion.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    If that's correct, then I'm afraid AVK is lying. Stations get quarter hour breakdowns of listening figures, but rarely publish those outside breakfast.

Mainly because most ordinary people don't care whether they're listening to the most popular or lease popular presenter - but also because the very fine detail is industry-sensitive data which other stations could use to their advantage.

Sorry Mapperley I was wrong and have looked back at the blog, Jonathan Wall who is 5 live's commissioning editor said:
    There's been lots of interest on the audience figures and some comments and questions which I thank you for.
    We don’t release specific programme figures. In fact we don't even distribute them widely to staff on 5 live because we don’t analyse individual numbers.

Latest audience figures
    comment 52
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you calling the poster a liar? Equally we could argue that nasty comments on DS are no reflection of public opinion.

The fact that those are the only 2 comments the poster has ever made on DS makes me mighty suspicious though!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh get off your high horse, if somebody else had posted saying Bacon’s figures were down you would be the first to be questioning the reliability of the source (an anonymous poster on DS) unless they could link to an official announcement.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a big difference between quoting ficticious audience figures and someone on here stating their opinion about Richard Bacon and his show.

I think the poster is indeed lying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry Mapperley I was wrong and have looked back at the blog, Jonathan Wall who is 5 live's commissioning editor said:

Latest audience figures
    comment 52

Ahh that makes more sense. Yes, that's true - very few people at any radio station get to see the fine details of figures for individual shows. I would have thought that Bacon's figures are confined to the man himself and his production team, along with Five Live senior management.

Regarding the comments made about his figures, yes people should indeed point to reliable sources when quoting stuff on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    The fact that those are the only 2 comments the poster has ever made on DS makes me mighty suspicious though!

Or alternatively it could be someone who is actually in the know/on the inside and has joined DS to defence RB. Either scenario is entirely possible. Or could be a troll.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BilsonB wrote: »
    I have kept an eye on this thread for a while, and feel the need to share that in last rajars Bacon had highest reach that the 2pm-4pm slot has ever had. Ever.

Not trying to make a point about Richard Bacon either way here (I don't listen to the show or have a strong view on him personally) - but surely it must be accepted that a substantial part of the reason why 5 Live achieved their all-time best listening figures in Q2 was due to the last sampled period spanning the General Election, the bulk of the World Cup (when many games took place during the daytime) and Wimbledon.

I would say the high listening figures are more a reflection on their coverage of those events rather than any major strengths (or weaknesses) of the individuals involved themselves.

Equally, if 5 Live see a drop-off in audience figures from Q2 in the next set of RAJARs (something I'm expecting will happen - if they sustain or even improve on their current figures I'd be very impressed), then this shouldn't be deemed a great disaster and questions about the presenting line-up shouldn't be asked solely in light of this.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true that Richard Bacon's nickname at fivelive is Alan Partridge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »

I don't know. What nicknames do your workmates have for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Radio Five lost 7% of its listeners during Q3 even with the World Cup included!

Anyone want to guess what proportion of that was down to Bacon? :p

Makes BilsonB's post about him having the highest ever reach in the afternoon slot even harder to believe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently Radio Five lost 7% of its listeners during Q3 even with the World Cup included!

Anyone want to guess what proportion of that was down to Bacon? :p

Makes BilsonB's post about him having the highest ever reach in the afternoon slot even harder to believe![/QUOTE]

Why do they? They were referring to the last quarter's figures.

If you look at Radio 1, Chris Moyles appears to have lost almost ten per cent of his listeners this quarter. Should the BBC worry - or is it down to season blips.

Even with the world cup - well, you might have a point, except of course all of the matches were live on terrestrial TV; which is how most fans would have enjoyed them - therefore radio listening to football commentary is bound to be down when the matches are on regular TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even with the world cup - well, you might have a point, except of course all of the matches were live on terrestrial TV; which is how most fans would have enjoyed them - therefore radio listening to football commentary is bound to be down when the matches are on regular TV.

I thought it was the fact that quarter two included the World Cup and General Election that was given as the reason why both 5 Live and Talk Sport had record listening figures last time? With some matches during the day many have to listen on the radio in their cars or at work. The quarter final onwards were in Q3 but of course did not involve England so there was bound to be some drop in listening figures.

7% is a big drop though and is also down on the same quarter last year:

5live reach -
    Q3 2010: 6.295m
    Q2 2010: 6.763m
    Q3 2009: 6.390m

Of course we cannot single out any particular presenter for blame without a breakdown of the figures which 5 Live are never going to release. The departure of Logan does give AVK the opportunity to revise the daytime schedule prior to the move to Salford.

Perhaps a slightly increased news focus is needed? Maybe 5 Live has gone too far down the ‘making the station accessible’ road with too much entertainment and celebrity content?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    7% is a big drop though and is also down on the same quarter last year:

5live reach -
    Q3 2010: 6.295m
    Q2 2010: 6.763m
    Q3 2009: 6.390m

Of course we cannot single out any particular presenter for blame without a breakdown of the figures which 5 Live are never going to release.

I would be very surprised if Bacon has maintained the same number of listeners as Mayo had.

A 7% drop for 5 Live sounds even worse when looked at in the context of TalkSport being up 18.1% on the previous quarter and 19.6% year on year.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to bring some clarity to this point - the Q3 period began on Monday 28th June, thus measuring the second half (4 of the 8 games) of the World Cup's second round phase as well as from the Quarter Finals onwards. It also charted the final seven days of Wimbledon.

During that period, only three games were played during traditional 9-5 working weekday hours - Holland v Slovakia, Japan v Paraguay and the Quarter Final between Brazil and Holland (the latter game being shifted to Sports Extra due to coverage of Andy Murray's Wimbledon semi-final on 5 Live).

Mapperley is right when he says that football fans would have been able to enjoy most of those World Cup games on TV - certainly from Saturday 5th July onwards, your listener who works Monday to Friday, 9-5 would not have been stuck in work when games were taking place.

This contrasts from Q2, when there were plenty of 12.30pm and 3pm weekday kick-offs taking place, many involving teams that will pull in an audience (England v Slovenia being one such game).

You don't have to be a football expert to work out that there would have been more of a captive audience for World Cup radio commentaries in Q2 than in Q3, and as I have consistently said on this and other threads - 5 Live were always going to see a drop in their audience figures for any quarter on the back of one measuring a General Election and the bulk of a World Cup.

A 7% drop is no surprise, to even sustain those impressive figures from Q2 at a time when there are far less "must listen" events taking place would have been phenomenal. Streaky-Bacon is right to highlight the more concerning figure of the slighter drop from Q3 of 2009 to Q3 of 2010.

As for talkSPORT's huge listenership rise in the latest RAJAR figures, while they too would ordinarily have experienced a post-World Cup drop, I think their success can primarily be attributed to how they have netted exclusive Premier League commentary games in attractive weekend timeslots, rights to which have been newly acquired for this season.

Having exclusive rights to weekly top flight games that are televised by Sky in stand-alone timeslots was always going to attract an audience to the station, including many new listeners who haven't tuned in in the past but have now been given a reason to do so.

In contrast, 5 Live have a smaller portfolio of Premier League rights to the one they held last season, so may have experienced a knock-on effect from this which would help to explain these figures when compared to Q3 from 2009.

I'm not an apologist for 5 Live by any means but I do think these things ought to be taken into consideration. The listening figures 5 Live (and talkSPORT for that matter) have just received were pretty much what I predicted due to the factors I've listed.

If we're talking specifically about Richard Bacon, a more worrying statistic than any figures 5 Live have received is that his afternoon "competition" over on talkSPORT, Hawksbee & Jacobs, are now pulling in an audience of 1 million listeners - their highest ever figures I believe.

As I've said in the talkSPORT Chat thread, for talkSPORT's afternoon programme to be pulling in an audience that is very close to the one their two "peak time" shows are getting (Breakfast is on 1.3m and Drive on 1.2m) is a real achievement. Very impressive and well deserved figures for Paul and Andy.

With people switching on the Breakfast and Drive shows for their daily commutes, H&J must be getting some of those listeners from somewhere other than just sustaining those who tune in for the Sports Breakfast.

And as much as some people on here argue that 5 Live and talkSPORT are two completely different stations, there is clearly some overlap between the sports end of the two station's audience. So this is perhaps a more concerning RAJAR result for RB than 5 Live's understandable fall across the board.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . I would have thought that Bacon's figures are confined to the man himself and his production team, along with Five Live senior management.

Regarding the comments made about his figures, yes people should indeed point to reliable sources when quoting stuff on DS.

Richard started his 6music show today with some e-mails about the latest RAJARS. One was from a 'Richard Bacon', who revealed that his show was (and this is an approximate quote) 'one of only two on the network to have gone up year on year, which is mud in the eye to all the idiots on the DS forum who started a conspiracy theory that 5live wouldn't publish his listening figures because they were so bad.

Richard finished by saying that Richard Bacon 'can be very self indulgent can't he?' to which his sidekick replied 'I can't stand him'.

Made me laugh, and shows he obviously keeps on eye on what's going on in this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard started his 6music show today with some e-mails about the latest RAJARS. One was from a 'Richard Bacon', who revealed that his show was (and this is an approximate quote) 'one of only two on the network to have gone up year on year, which is mud in the eye to all the idiots on the DS forum who started a conspiracy theory that 5live wouldn't publish his listening figures because they were so bad.

He wasn't actually talking about the figures for his 6music show was he? Seems strange to talk about listening figures for his performance on a different station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't actually talking about the figures for his 6music show was he? Seems strange to talk about listening figures for his performance on a different station.

Sorry, I meant to say that he was talking about the figures for his 5 live show. He mentioned that the figures for 6music were up overall.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »

Loooll! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

More people listen to Bacon than Mayo, god the country is f***ed :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00vll7d/Richard_Bacon_30_10_2010

Forward to 07:40 if you want to listen to Bacon reading out a text from himself, save you having to listen to more than you need to.

Well we always knew that he reads the Digital Spy forums, an ego like his just couldn’t resist it.

Now who is the real Richard Bacon, BilsonB or AoibheannRose? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the game is up for me....

I am Richard Bacon.
  • Options
    droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'm Alan Sugar.

You're fired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So... are certian posters now going to apologise after accusing others of lying about the figures? Nah, better to just put up some more nasty comments about him. Good on Richard for playign along though!