Options

Toni - can someone explain her appeal?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan but I hate her type of voice and musical type dramatics anyway. I'm sure she'd do very well in musicals but certainly not a chart topper (oh showing my age!!:rolleyes:).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with her is the tone and quality of her voice. There were times during Proud Mary where her voice seemed speeded up. Unintentionally funny.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    My problem with her is the tone and quality of her voice. There were times during Proud Mary where her voice seemed speeded up. Unintentionally funny.

I look forward to her performances the way I used to look forward to Wagner on the X Factor. The way she sings is so utterly over-the-top and hilarious that I've found myself rewatching her performances on Youtube.

For sheer eye-rolling histrionics, this remains my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNcBAjeufw

:D
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to her performances the way I used to look forward to Wagner on the X Factor. The way she sings is so utterly over-the-top and hilarious that I've found myself rewatching her performances on Youtube.

That's just completely bonkers. Gosh, it's worse than when I first saw it 'live' when she seemed to be on a permanent expression like this: :eek:
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides the facial expressions, she also has a very intense almost sexual energy about her that comes out when she sings. It makes her quite uncomfortable to watch, especially with family. I bet she's a tiger in the bedroom.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    I think she is there because she is bald, BUT, there is no need for her to be bald on the live shows anymore , she does wear headscarves and hats so why make it all about the bald head.I think she or the production team are playing up this angle
    I am not a fan of her voice and found her very screechy, and as for her performance it is frankly freakish and I will not be sorry when she goes
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I can't help. I find her unwatchable.

Exactly , those crazy faces !
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shefair wrote: »
    I think she is there because she is bald, BUT, there is no need for her to be bald on the live shows anymore , she does wear headscarves and hats so why make it all about the bald head.I think she or the production team are playing up this angle
    I am not a fan of her voice and found her very screechy, and as for her performance it is frankly freakish and I will not be sorry when she goes

I've wondered this as well. If she's happy to perform without a scarf then that's great, but it does seem a little contrived that she only seems to be without a scarf when she's performing.
  • Options
    katinthehatkatinthehat Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a screaming banshee and I don't fall for her sympathy vote in leaving her head scarf off for live performances. Maybe she should wear her scarf to cover her mouth which seems to engulf her whole face when she goes for her screaming notes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    I am suprised that so many can't stand her, I knew I couldn't but thought she would be more popular
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am suprised that so many can't stand her, I knew I couldn't but thought she would be more popular

If she's more popular, she won't be in the bottom two.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand the things she does with her mouth.....like Shirley Bassey on crack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I can't bear the things she does with her mouth.....like Shirley Bassey on crack.

Okay don't bring Shirley into this...:sleep:
  • Options
    MrJamGdMrJamGd Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her appeal is that her expressions tickle me :D
    She has a decent voice too...
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Good singer and very sexy. A combination that generally ensures a certain amount of success.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMLnZS73EI

It's Saturday's costume I can't get beyond, the whole effect was very gimpish. If Toni was instead a Tony, George Michael might have had him in the boot of his car, officer.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feels all technique and not enough raw emotion to me, her voice that is. And yea, she pulls funny faces.
  • Options
    Forum Member

According to my mum, Toni has the scarf on during the week and then comes "out of the bald cupboard" for the live shows.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    She reminds me of a snake unhinging her jaw to devour its prey when she sings. It's rather unnerving.

To be honest, I blame Jessie partly. Her approach to coaching seems to be "turn yourself up to 12". Thus Becky becomes stroppier, Ruth-Ann more out of tune, Cassius more bland, Vince stranger and Toni becomes scarier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To everyone commenting on the scarf during the week thing, firstly it's bloody cold when you have no hair - you need something to cover your head else you freeze day to day! Under the hot lights you have the other extreme. You've no hair to soak up any sweat that comes out of your head so if you're wearing a scarf it goes onto that and makes it all wet, sticky and exceptionally uncomfortable. Add to that the fact that in the heat and under a scarf, your scalp can't breathe and you absolutely ROAST!!

Secondly, does it really make that much difference? I mean even with a head scarf on, it's blatantly obvious she has no hair!!

As for those saying wear a wig...go out, on the hottest day this year (because the lights will be bloody hot) wearing a thick woolly hat...and if you can make that hat itchy as hell against your bare skin as well, then brilliant!! That's what wearing a wig is like! Not what you need when you're trying to concentrate on a performance!!

Re her voice...yeah, she can sing - oh boy does she have a set of pipes - but I'm not a huge fan I'm afraid!
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her voice, she has a nice tone
  • Options
    Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She shouldnt have got past the battle rounds, her opponant was faaaar better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ribtickle wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMLnZS73EI

It's Saturday's costume I can't get beyond, the whole effect was very gimpish. If Toni was instead a Tony, George Michael might have had him in the boot of his car, officer.

Everything about that performance was atrocious.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Having watched that again I'm reminded she is actually very good. I was comparing facial movements and wondered if it's just more noticeable with Toni because when she is bald you can see her whole face. IMO she looks amazing bald and I love that she just goes for it. Not many people could carry that off.

Anyone else not sure who'd they pick between these 2 on the sing off? I'll be honest when Jessie picked Toni I thought it was the alopecia thing but now think that was just my prejudice. I can't decide now :confused:
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may be a medical reason why she can't wear a wig, otherwise I imagine she would have worn one and, assuming it was good enough, we would have been none the wiser. I daresay the gutter press would have 'exposed' her, though. I think suggestions that the sympathy vote has benefitted her are overstatements, although there may well be some truth in them. I can't see it being enough to win her the competition, though.

What gets me isn't the bald head, it's the scary eyes. She is very melodramatic while performing. This might work in a theatre, where she has to project, not just her voice, but her expressions and gestures as well - but not on television.