Foreign Office has advice for Holiday makers in Greece but wont say?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If Greece Fails to pay it Creditors the Foreign Office has a plan to help Brits Holidaying there but won't say what the plan is- does the Government or even the Foreign Office have plan to help Brits in Greece are:confused:

Could the Reason they won't say is because they don't want panic anyone until the time is near a greek exit or just covering all bases, plus vistors to the Country have been told to take enough Euros because banks are running out of Cash:confused:

Any idea what the British Government Plan is to help people holidaying in Greece if the Country leaves the Euro:confused:

Comments

• greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably haven't got a plan at all
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    put them all on rickety boats and dinghys, they'll rush right there to rescue them .....
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Greece does exit the euro the change won't happen overnight. Tourism is a huge thing I Greece so they will want to protect that as best they can so I don't think tourists out there will feel the immediate effect of it.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it rather depend on what happens. I would expect a whole raft of plans ranging from doing nothing to sending the troops in

Rather silly therefore to announce them
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....avoid the moussaka at the Aphrodite Bar in Faliraki?
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=bingoman;78637949

]If Greece Fails to pay it Creditors the Foreign Office has a plan to help Brits Holidaying there but won't say what the plan is- does the Government or even the Foreign Office have plan to help Brits in Greece are:confused:

Could the Reason they won't say is because they don't want panic anyone until the time is near a greek exit or just covering all bases, plus vistors to the Country have been told to take enough Euros because banks are running out of Cash:confused:

Any idea what the British Government Plan is to help people holidaying in Greece if the Country leaves the Euro:confused:[/QUOTE]

Links to your sources please.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Any idea what the British Government Plan is to help people holidaying in Greece if the Country leaves the Euro:confused:

My guess is:

Where necessary, chartering aircraft and flying holidaymakers home.
    Underwriting any financial exposure of British travel companies, airlines or agents with operations to or in Greece
    Underwriting any financial exposure of British banks who have lent to Greek companies or the Greek government
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FO's current advice, in place since May, is for holidaymakers to take several means of payment and enough euros "to cover emergencies and any unexpected delays."

Any change to that is dependent on what happens with the Greek/EU/IMF talks which are still going on, the likelihood is yet ano sticking plaster will be applied and all will be as it was before.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    the likelihood is yet ano sticking plaster will be applied and all will be as it was before.

Yes, another "sticking plaster" will be applied.

Greece is now politically, socially and economically unsettled. The country is a member of NATO and closer to the Med and the unfolding problems of migration from the Middle East.

I suspect the EU and NATO would prefer to continue periodic summits and more bailout money. The alternative may be even more unpleasant.

This is current situation is an utter tragedy. My views on the EU are well know. At some in the future, senior leaders in the EU and Greece must be called to account through a public inquiry and possible prosecutions.

But for the time being, the focus is on choosing the least worst options for Greece.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the Reason they won't say is because they don't want panic anyone until the time is near a greek exit

The reason they won't issue the advice before it's applicable is it's not yet applicable and therefore would confuse people
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advise would be to do to Greece, spend your money there and have a good time. The last thing the country needs at the moment is panic in tourism market.

Take your money in cash. Whatever currency it is in, the bar and restaurant owners will be grateful for it.

Just avoid the Ouzo.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Links to your sources please.

I heard it on ITV Evening News :confused:
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    My advise would be to do to Greece, spend your money there and have a good time. The last thing the country needs at the moment is panic in tourism market.

Take your money in cash. Whatever currency it is in, the bar and restaurant owners will be grateful for it.

Just avoid the Ouzo.
    Back you 100%.
    Greeks are the most laid back people I have ever met.
    I have holidayed on most of the Greek Islands and never had a bad holiday with them yet.
    So don't be put off make sure you take enough money with you and maybe a bit extra.
    I feel this is what the Government is thinking about people not getting stranded without access to money.

GMT Greek maybe time.
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greeks know that the EU gravy train riding bureaucrats will do almost anything to prevent the Euro (and their cushy jobs) failing. Throw in the occasional phone call / visit to Vlad and the Greeks know that the cards are stacked in their favour. After all the Euro must be saved at all cost, and there's me thinking that the Euro was suppose to benefit member countries, not the other way around.... :o
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Greece Fails to pay it Creditors the Foreign Office has a plan to help Brits Holidaying there but won't say what the plan is- does the Government or even the Foreign Office have plan to help Brits in Greece are:confused:

Scaremongering!

Greece is no where near as bad as places like Tunisia! But still people book to go on holiday to Tunisia which is far far poorer than Greece, far unsafer than Greece, far more politically unstable than Greece. And of course ISIS now occupies parts of southern Tunisia, not to mention the terrorist attack against tourists in a museum a few months ago!

I'd much rather be going to Greece than Tunisia, at least I'd feel much safer and more secure in Greece!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    I feel this is what the Government is thinking about people not getting stranded without access to money.

Surely that's people's own responsibility to take precautions look after themselves? It's why you should have travel insurance.

It's more likely that if you are in Greece on holiday the Greek government will be asking you to lend them money to pay their bills.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before going to Greece make sure that your travel insurance covers lost or stolen cash.If it doesn't, then it may be difficult to get any cash from the ATM.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB should offer £10bn for Corfu.