Options

The Shaheen Jafargholi Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I was anti Shaheen before tonight,but must admit that the boy done good.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aj_2000 wrote: »
    This boy can win it you know, i've got a feeling he's going to blow everyone away like he did tonight. Glad he got through instead of MD! Well done Shaheen! :D

If he has hedged his bets, and has saved something wonderful for the final, then he has played a blinder. This tends to be the problem with BGT - everyone seems to go all-out for the audition stage, then many run out of steam at the SF stage.

Acts that don't progress seem to get voted out. The question is 'Who can save the very best till last?'. Shaheen and his talent (and his experience ;)) may prove to have it all!
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    If he has hedged his bets, and has saved something wonderful for the final, then he has played a blinder. This tends to be the problem with BGT - everyone seems to go all-out for the audition stage, then many run out of steam at the SF stage.

Acts that don't progress seem to get voted out. The question is 'Who can save the very best till last?'. Shaheen and his talent (and his experience ;)) may prove to have it all!

He still needs some boxes of Lemsip and a tuning fork based on tonight...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love hiiiiim. :)
  • Options
    BarrettBarrett Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's vary sad that so many on DS didn't understand just how hard a song that type of music is to sing.

He knocked spots off all the other so-called singers. And let's face it, he was in tune, which can't be said for the other singers.
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    He's so damn cute,:o His got great voice, I am a little annoyed he's been in professional theatre before but its not his fault its the program allowing him to be in so be it! I think he wins hands down on all the singers in the competition. :cool:
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    He still needs some boxes of Lemsip and a tuning fork based on tonight...

True.

I didn't understand the song choice TBH. It wasn't a crowd pleaser, neither was it easy. And he obviously wasn't at his best so presumably he'd made his choice and was sticking to it. Even these old pros are falible! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know the title or artist of the track he performed tonight?
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flackers wrote: »
    does anyone know the title or artist of the track he performed tonight?
    It's And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going - from Dreamgirls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViWltu0PJk

Completely inappropriate song for Shaheen to sing really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    True.

I didn't understand the song choice TBH. It wasn't a crowd pleaser, neither was it easy. And he obviously wasn't at his best so presumably he'd made his choice and was sticking to it. Even these old pros are falible! ;)

He still sung it well, and he adjusted to the total mis-pitch at the start once his backing's in. (That is incredibly hard to do cold unless you have AP or something in your ear!)

Though I still think he could have damaged something doing that tonight, poor boy could hardly talk at the end of the show (and I would have gone off to drink water or something afterwards, and normally do when my voice does that) - maybe he had to do it tonight once it was decided or withdraw. I guess out of fairness once the order's decided they can't move acts around, if they had to swap him with another it gives them less time to prepare for it. So if he was sick and they wouldn't let him move then he either has to sing below-par or pull out totally, and he would probably still go through if he sang anyway. It's a hard decision but then I guess it then boils down to the song, he could have changed it but again, that depends on if the show would let him too. And it was presumably already prepared with his singing teachers anyway.
  • Options
    RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant believe a voice like that came out of a little 12 year old boy amazing glad he got through i thought his audition was a bit set up but now i love him could win this show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i cant believe a voice like that came out of a little 12 year old boy amazing glad he got through i thought his audition was a bit set up but now i love him could win this show

He's had lessons since he was 5 and there are plenty of boys as capable as him in cathedrals all across the country - admittedly that is a different voice type really, though, but I'm talking about musical competence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    PiperPeach wrote: »
    He was BRILLIANT.

I agree the best one on the night
  • Options
    aj_2000aj_2000 Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a difficult song but like Simon said he pulled it off, but with style imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaheen is amazing, i really hope he wins. I realy dont get the fuss over Susan you-know-who. His performance tonight was incredible, just cant wait to see hwat he does in the final, hope he gets a better slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shaheen is amazing, i really hope he wins. I realy dont get the fuss over Susan you-know-who. His performance tonight was incredible, just cant wait to see hwat he does in the final, hope he gets a better slot.

It wasn't as good as his audition, but he didn't sound good speaking tonight, so I guess we can excuse that.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the stage school starlet singing?

I couldn't hear the lyrics at all well through his rather huskily monotone voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    What was the stage school starlet singing?

I couldn't hear the lyrics at all well through his rather huskily monotone voice

Apparently 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going' from the musical 'Dreamgirls', but he sounded like (considering the fact he could hardly speak without croaking) he was singing with a sore/tired throat so we can probably excuse the huskiness. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going' from the musical 'Dreamgirls', but he sounded like (considering the fact he could hardly speak without croaking) he was singing with a sore/tired throat so we can probably excuse the huskiness. :sleep:

Hmm still, on Tuesday's grouping the human sax looked remotely talented
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm still, on Tuesday's grouping the human sax looked remotely talented

I could make a similar noise humming in falsetto... it's not difficult.

I expected better from Shaheen, but if he was ill/tired it explains it, like I said, he couldn't speak without croaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could make a similar noise humming in falsetto... it's not difficult.

I expected better from Shaheen, but if he was ill/tired it explains it, like I said, he couldn't speak without croaking.

I still think he was overstated simply because it was such a poor night and the ongoing rush for a quick buck from the poor kid.

Cowell's failure to pick him said it all, imo. If it had been X-Factor (but its not) he'd have been picked apart for that performance, he almost diplomatically was tonight

The singers as a whole have been grossly underwhelming in the SF thus far but its the dancers that are showing most potential
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still think he was overstated simply because it was such a poor night and the ongoing rush for a quick buck from the poor kid.

Cowell's failure to pick him said it all, imo. If it had been X-Factor (but its not) he'd have been picked apart for that performance, he almost diplomatically was tonight

The singers as a whole have been grossly underwhelming in the SF thus far but its the dancers that are showing most potential

It's all same as, all singing and dancing.

The judges are fixed before it goes to them. One of them says one act, the other opposes leaving the 3rd with the casting vote. They know who is 2nd and 3rd as the votes close and have plenty of time to confer what they (as a panel) will go for. Cowell picked the others to be different and told the others to go for Shaheen so he'd go through. It's all staged.

In any case Cowell won't sign him. He has the contacts anyway through Mark Jermin (a talented treble who was accepted into SPC, but turned it down) and his stage school, he is doing BGT for the TV slots.

As it stands it was set to let Stavros (overrated fat guy and his fat boy dancing topless in skirts, eww, you could see the boy's underwear at one point) and Shaheen safely through to a final of singers and dancers, the acts are seeded more than Wimbledon. The competition has little integrity.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether it was nerves or illness but after a shaky first line he did really well, imo. He had to lick his lips at some point, so he must have been very dry-mouthed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did sound like a sore throat, the boy couldn't talk, and starting cold with no note is hard - even pro singers get some sort of reference - in a piece you can get it from orchestras (which tune to A) or from a preceding movement - or take a tuning fork on. Sometimes choirs get notes just given as a chord before. If he did get a note offstage or bang a fork he'd forgotten it which given the fact he is a 12 year old as well as the noise is understandable but he picked up the right key seamlessly when his backing came in.

Let's hope whatever it is cleared up by the final. If he'd just dried up rehearsing or singing it, which happens a lot (hence you often see singers in concerts with water), then you'd assume he'd take on water when he'd finished singing offstage, but he was just as croaky when they were announcing who was through.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did get a note, ForestChav, but it's three single repeated notes on a piano and then you're right in, which is damn difficult to hear on stage above that crowd. Don't think they use earpieces. When Bianca did it on AGT that brief intro seemed a lot louder on my TV.