Channel 5HD

2»

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was the case, could they not just decide to cancel the HD channel altogether, if they decide it's not viable, be careful what you wish for.

Is that likely though? Also it might become a requirement to have the HD version to qualify as a PSB if they change the law, in which case Viacom would have a choice to loose its PSB slot entirely and become fully commercial, leading the way to another company bidding for the channel 5 licence/franchise, or Viacom just accepting it and moving forward.

If they are wanting to keep their PSB status and slot I expect the latter option to happen.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Is that likely though? Also it might become a requirement to have the HD version to qualify as a PSB if they change the law,
    I think you are being wildly over hopeful! I have heard nothing whatsoever that such a change in the law is even being considered. It is recognised that HD channels cost more to both make programmes for and to transmit (as with ITV2/3/4 HD versions and Film4HD)

C4HD was a Sky (later Sky+Virgin) exclusive for many years....with no great fuss!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that likely though? Also it might become a requirement to have the HD version to qualify as a PSB if they change the law, in which case Viacom would have a choice to loose its PSB slot entirely and become fully commercial, leading the way to another company bidding for the channel 5 licence/franchise, or Viacom just accepting it and moving forward.

If they are wanting to keep their PSB status and slot I expect the latter option to happen.

So, you know this is happening do you, that they are changing the law so that all PSB's have to have HD channels, that have to be FTA?
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I hope the law changes and they have no choice in the matter!
    For the law to change wouldn't Ofcom require the big broadcasters' consent, including that of Channel 5, before implementing any change, I'm not sure Ofcom would make such a decision alone.