The problem for Labour

CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The problem for Labour is who do they really represent. We often hear about the poor, the unfortunates, food banks, the homeless, etc,., but the we look around us --

People spending money going to football, theatre, cinema, night clubs, drinking in clubs, pubs, coffee bars and other entertainment. Then we look at the money spent on such things as wide screen TVs and electrical items selling in abundance not to mention smart phones which everyone appears to have these days, just try looking in the I-phone shop for evidence of that. Fashion shops and boutiques doing big business with overpriced goods, like trainers and jeans brought mainly for their labels rather than wearability. Furniture shops and car sales appear to be doing quite well too.

Foreign holiday companies also appear to be doing a decent business.

Supermarket trolleys look to be stacked full of biscuits, cakes, alcohol, and ornamental crud that could hardly be termed necessities of life.

So where are all these unfortunates, certainly not the vast majority of people I see these days. I see very little austerity or cut-backs when I look around me.

That is the problem with Labour far too many people are enjoying a reasonably comfortable life these days for them to attract the people they are supposed to be attracting. The guy sitting with a begging bowl and his dog in the street playing a tin whistle is hardly going to get off his backside and put an X next to his local Labour candidate in any election, be too much like hard work.

People in this country are, in general, having it reasonable well but they sometimes do not appreciate it. There lies Labour's main problem.

Comments

• greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And people forget how they were able to enjoy some of the things you mention who do you think was responsible for better working conditions etc
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    way to massively assume things .....
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    And people forget how they were able to enjoy some of the things you mention who do you think was responsible for better working conditions etc

A lot of people will remember who it was who raised the income tax threshold and froze council tax. They will remember every month and they will remember who opposed it.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The OP appears to be forgetting the position the country was in when Blair defeated Major. If the country is doing better economically then any FUD spread by the Tories about Labour's ability to run the economy has less effect. Other issues, which Labour tend to be stronger on, have a greater impact. Things like the NHS, social care, education, equality, and so on.

The biggest danger for the Tories is the EU referendum. It was Europe that divided them last time. Plus there seemed to be a new scandal each week.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    That would be the Labour Government that continued Major's fiscal policies for four years?

And then f***** up big style after ditching them?
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    That would be the Labour Government that continued Major's fiscal policies for four years?

Which is opinion and not relevant.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »

As is yours.
  • sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

So when you write ths:
    The OP appears to be forgetting the position the country was in when Blair defeated Major. If the country is doing better economically then any FUD spread by the Tories about Labour's ability to run the economy has less effect. Other issues, which Labour tend to be stronger on, have a greater impact. Things like the NHS, social care, education, equality, and so on.

The biggest danger for the Tories is the EU referendum. It was Europe that divided them last time. Plus there seemed to be a new scandal each week.

... It is fact, but when somebody else posts their opinion it is not relevant. I think it is you who is not relevant. Just an opinion of course.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour's problem is that it is wrong about almost everything.
    That has come about partly because it is incapable of listening to anyone who disagrees with it.
  • sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    The problem for Labour is who do they really represent. We often hear about the poor, the unfortunates, food banks, the homeless, etc,., but the we look around us --

People spending money going to football, theatre, cinema, night clubs, drinking in clubs, pubs, coffee bars and other entertainment. Then we look at the money spent on such things as wide screen TVs and electrical items selling in abundance not to mention smart phones which everyone appears to have these days, just try looking in the I-phone shop for evidence of that. Fashion shops and boutiques doing big business with overpriced goods, like trainers and jeans brought mainly for their labels rather than wearability. Furniture shops and car sales appear to be doing quite well too.

Supermarket trolleys look to be stacked full of biscuits, cakes, alcohol, and ornamental crud that could hardly be termed necessities of life.

So where are all these unfortunates, certainly not the vast majority of people I see these days. I see very little austerity or cut-backs when I look around me.

That is the problem with Labour far too many people are enjoying a reasonably comfortable life these days for them to attract the people they are supposed to be attracting. The guy sitting with a begging bowl and his dog in the street playing a tin whistle is hardly going to get off his backside and put an X next to his local Labour candidate in any election, be too much like hard work.

People in this country are, in general, having it reasonable well but they sometimes do not appreciate it. There lies Labour's main problem.

To be honest, I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. By and large, people are doing well. Ed Miliband's "Cost of living crisis" didn't work because not enough people felt that way.

To win, Labour will need to do a lot more than simply bleat about policies which may be unpopular but don't actually affect too many people - like the bedroom tax. They need to present a potential future so attractive and one so attainable that we can all subscribe to it. Either that, or a) the Tories mess things up big time or b) people simply get fed up with them.

It's very hard to see the electorate inspired enough to vote for Labour in 2020.
  • howeverhowever Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    way to massively assume things .....

If you read the OP's post again you will find he is not assuming anything. He is simply describing what he observes as he looks around him.

I see the very same things.

I never see any of those who are obviously poor, hungry and disadvantaged that many on this forum claim are everywhere you look, as a result of being 'punished' by the 'nasty' tory party policies.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is describing Labour's problem at the last general election. A perfect summing up that will have applied to many many people, hence the result we got.

Labour can already see they are not going to have any problems whatsoever at the next general election.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The OP is describing Labour's problem at the last general election. A perfect summing up that will have applied to many many people, hence the result we got.

Labour can already see they are not going to have any problems whatsoever at the next general election.
    Well if Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership elections, Labour will certainly not win the next elections and I certainly won't vote for him. I've still got to make my mind up who I will vote for from the other 3 candidates.
    In my opinion as a Labour Party member since 1994, labour should have less dealings and maybe nothing to do with the unions.
    Ian.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Well if Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership elections, Labour will certainly not win the next elections and I certainly won't vote for him. I've still got to make my mind up who I will vote for from the other 3 candidates.
    In my opinion as a Labour Party member since 1994, labour should have less dealings and maybe nothing to do with the unions.
    Ian.

Massive cuts to public spending, a dead-in-the-water economy, and in-work benefits slashed.

I suppose the well-off retired person might not care about such things, but most of the public will certainly.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Massive cuts to public spending, a dead-in-the-water economy, and in-work benefits slashed.

I suppose the well-off retired person might not care about such things, but most of the public will certainly.
    I'm not well off, but you've got to attract the floating voter in marginal seats and I said many times over the last 2 years dispite Labour at times been 10% in the lead, that Labour would lose the 2015 elections, because of electing Ed Miliband as leader. If Labour had chosen Dave Miliband as leader at the time of the last Labour leadership elections Labour would have stood a chance of at least of being the largest party at the 2015 election. You can search for my posts and you'll see that is exactically what I posted.
    Ian.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »

That's true and it's always the same story.

Since Labour became New "Tory Light" Labour there is an increasingly less of a reason to return to Old Labour.

The lesson of the last 40 years is that Right of Centre politics is the best way to allow people to progress in life.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OP paints a picture that might be considered a little complacent. Galbraith talked about the culture of contentment in the early 1990s and that's before the financial disaster of 2008 and the rise of Islamist global terrorism. So quite apart from the hidden face of the underclass, one should never think we are going to have it this good all the tiime.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe it depends on the shops you frequent.

What do you know about the people who are doing the shopping.

How do you know what their financial situations are ?

Do you even know whether they are working and /or what they earn ?

How many of them are unemployed ?

Do you know whether or not the wide screen TVs and electrical items and all the other goods you mention are paid for or being bought on the never never ?

BTW can I ask if you make it your business to go looking into other peoples shopping trolleys in supermarkets.

Would you like to say what is normally in your shopping trolley and what you spend your money on so we can judge you as you judge everyone else ? ;-)

Actually you don't need to because it has sod all to do with us.

You seem to be implying that people are becoming too self centered and only interested in themselves to vote Labour, so which political party would you say is the party for them ?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it depends on the shops you frequent.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl
    What do you know about the people who are doing the shopping.?

Nothing, do I have to. I was just making an observation
    How do you know what their financial situations are ?

No idea but they certainly do not appear to be short of money

Do you even know whether they are working and /or what they earn ?

See above
    How many of them are unemployed ?

No idea
    Do you know whether or not the wide screen TVs and electrical items and all the other goods you mention are paid for or being bought on the never never ?

If luxury items are bought on credit it does not imply to me austerity but stupidity
    BTW can I ask if you make it your business to go looking into other peoples shopping trolleys in supermarkets.

I, and no doubt others, cannot fail to see items that are placed on the loading belt or what is on display on top of their trolleys
    Would you like to say what is normally in your shopping trolley and what you spend your money on so we can judge you as you judge everyone else ? ;-)

I will try to supply an itemised shopping list for you if you insist,.
    Actually you don't need to because it has sod all to do with us.

Glad about that, but I was just pointing out that just by observing life as I see it I see very little evidence of people cutting back through austerity as Labour would have us believe.
    You seem to be implying that people are becoming too self centered and only interested in themselves to vote Labour, so which political party would you say is the party for them ?

Most people would vote for the party that is more represented to their lifestyle, (turkeys do not vote for Christmas, do they?} if people were so desperate financially as Labour kept telling us before the election the would have won hands down.

You did not comment on the rest of my post about the other things that do not appear to be affected by this austerity everyone appears to have suffered over the past couple of years or so.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See above

No idea

If luxury items are bought on credit it does not imply to me austerity but stupidity

I, and no doubt others, cannot fail to see items that are placed on the loading belt or what is on display on top of their trolleys

I will try to supply an itemised shopping list for you if you insist,.

Glad about that, but I was just pointing out that just by observing life as I see it I see very little evidence of people cutting back through austerity as Labour would have us believe.

Most people would vote for the party that is more represented to their lifestyle, (turkeys do not vote for Christmas, do they?} if people were so desperate financially as Labour kept telling us before the election the would have won hands down.

You did not comment on the rest of my post about the other things that do not appear to be affected by this austerity everyone appears to have suffered over the past couple of years or so.

It's hard to reply to your post when half the answers you have given don't show.

Still I will try.

You say you shop at Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl, and that you know nothing about the people you see shopping other than they don't seem to be short of money.

In that case how can you make an observation about them, as far as you know they could be quite well off.

From my observations people are doing more of their shopping in Pound shops so may I suggest you visit pound shops and take note of what people who shop in them have in their baskets.

May I also suggest that when you're out shopping you have a look in your local charity and/ or second hand shops, you may be surprised at how many people you will see buying their 'luxury' items in them.

You see at first glance people may not appear to be affected by austerity , but when you look closer it may be a different story ;-)
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends of course where your walking when your looking :) Try strolling around Easterhouse or "insert name of deprived area here" and you'll see a far different picture
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour's only problem is they don't have enough seats in the South of England and will not gain those seats either.
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    Labour's only problem is they don't have enough seats in the South of England and will not gain those seats either.

I will say now as a member of the Labour Party, that I don't expect Labour to win in the next General Election in 2020, although of course I will always vote for them.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    sturcol wrote: »
    So when you write ths:

... It is fact, but when somebody else posts their opinion it is not relevant. I think it is you who is not relevant. Just an opinion of course.

The post was not relevant to the point raised by the OP.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    The problem for Labour can be conceptualised in the current debate over Heathrow. Previously it had been opposed - now it is pro - but why? Because it can embarrass the government by highlighting splits between those who are pro and anti Heathrow. It is basically the same game it has been playing over Europe.

So what does it stand for?

Certainly not the workers - since it seem happy to shaft them over it's immigration policy - and why conspicuous by their absence was anybody from a worker representative organisation when it decided to flood markets with extra workers. (It was eventually forced to accept representation for workers but only after a long fight - almost completely ignored by the press at the time).