George Osborne to lose his job as Chancellor

Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Despite his packed budget with changes to the minimum wage, tax credits, non-doms etc, it is said that George Osborne is aiming to lose his job as Chancellor.

He is not aiming to be sacked for incompetence, although not all his ideas for austerity turn out for the best.

What I mean is that he is said to be aiming to lose his job as Chancellor .... to take up the vacancy that arises next door later in this Parliament! :p

Comments

• HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What guarding the door to no 10 :)
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite his packed budget with changes to the minimum wage, tax credits, non-doms etc, it is said that George Osborne is aiming to lose his job as Chancellor.

He is not aiming to be sacked for incompetence, although not all his ideas for austerity turn out for the best.

What I mean is that he is said to be aiming to lose his job as Chancellor .... to take up the vacancy that arises next door later in this Parliament! :p

Did the cat they keep to catch mice die then? :o
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

I suppose Cameron needs someone to fold his towels.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see why. He could be chancellor right up to the leadership election. After which there would be a pre-election reshuffle.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Good... the 13 million low paid families that lost money in the budget can associate him with the Tories as their head man.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Good... the 13 million low paid families that lost money in the budget can associate him with the Tories as their head man.

Many of the 'low paid' families of whom you speak are actually pretty well off, and will continue to be so.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Many of the 'low paid' families of whom you speak are actually pretty well off, and will continue to be so.

Until the budget stars to bite
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who said it ? I expect one day he will lose his job but then so will many people through many reasons, but I find your thread heading is very misleading like many posted on DS, posted for effect rather than fact. Reading your last paragraph, why not just say "Osbornes ambition is to be PM"
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    He's the Gordon Brown of the Tories and so only likely to become the PM if the public have no say in it.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    George will be fine as long as he doesn't insult the Downing Street Police
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter who the conservatives choose as their next leader, they'll win in 2020 whoever they choose. I think even if David Cameron stayed on after promising he wouldn't they'd STILL win!

Boris Johnson is the only one who might lose in 2020, since he's quite gaffe-prone like Ed Miliband, but even with him I think think they'll probably win, since he's done lots of things in the past and he always recovers from it in the end.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

Your idea of "low paid" must be very different to a lot of other people's.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who the conservatives choose as their next leader, they'll win in 2020 whoever they choose. I think even if David Cameron stayed on after promising he wouldn't they'd STILL win!

Boris Johnson is the only one who might lose in 2020, since he's quite gaffe-prone like Ed Miliband, but even with him I think think they'll probably win, since he's done lots of things in the past and he always recovers from it in the end.

I think Labour lost because Ed Miliband wasn't confident and leader like enough. If Labour chooses someone who's very confident and leader like, they could very well win next time. Only if they're truthful and honest, and convince the voters that they're committed to getting the debt down and aren't going to start borrowing wildly again. If they have the people's trust, they'll, obviously, sail through to power.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think Labour lost because Ed Miliband wasn't confident and leader like enough. If Labour chooses someone who's very confident and leader like, they could very well win next time. Only if they're truthful and honest, and convince the voters that they're committed to getting the debt down and aren't going to start borrowing wildly again. If they have the people's trust, they'll, obviously, sail through to power.

None of their 4 leadership contenders are any more leader-like than Ed Miliband. They're not as easy to make fun of, perhaps, but they're not more leader-like than him either. Especially not Liz Kendall, she might be more relatable to the general public, but leader like? Not at all. Andy Burnham will get just as much bad media attention as Ed Miliband, he's too easy to tear apart, and Yvette Cooper should frankly defect to the conservative party.

The only one of their 4 contenders who's "leader-like" to any extent is Jeremy Corbyn, and his views are probably too extreme for the general population. He's also very truthful and honest, as opposed to the other three who say what they think the public want to hear, however, again, his honest views are probably too extreme. He'd end up like a new Nigel Farage, probably getting lots of media attention and riling people up all the time, but he won't be able to be Prime Minister in 2020. It's impossible.

The other 3 are pretty much the same as the conservatives, so conservative voters will continue to vote conservative, and if anything it'll lose Labour some voters since some of them might move to Lib Dems, Greens or SNP who are more in-line with their views if one of the other three are chosen.

The only possible way for conservatives to lose in 2020 is if their next leader gets outed as a pedophile or something like that.

I think the labour party are planning on having a female leader to cash in on the progress of the feminism movement in recent years, however, I think if they do get a female leader the conservatives will just choose one too (Theresa May or someone like that).
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Corbyn 'leader-like'? You're having a laugh.
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Corbyn 'leader-like'? You're having a laugh.

I did make sure to say "leader-like to any extent"... lol. He has integrity and speaks with conviction, but his views are too extreme to be leader of this country.

None of the 4 seem brilliant when it comes to leadership. So no matter what the conservatives will win in 2020. People need to accept this.
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you mean Mr Bean: L O L according to Muck of the week Lol:D;-)http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bean_04.jpg l o l:p
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osborne really shouldn't take Cameron's spot. By 2020 he will be too tainted by the last 10 years (people get tired of the same people over a period of time, regardless of how good they are), same for Theresa in that case. Boris may be a good choice for a Deputy PM role with the idea of him being a Tory version of John Prescott but him being the actual Tory leader/PM would be too big a gamble to take in my opinion. My pick to be the next Tory leader/Prime Minister would be Stephen Crabb with him hopefully picking Sajid Javid to be the Chancellor, this duo would could actually be more appealing to the working class than Burnham and Reeves or Cooper and Leslie. With both their working class backgrounds would appeal more to the casual voter and help reduce the idea of the Tories being the party of the privileged. If the Tories went with this move, they'd get a very good and strong majority.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a bit of the budget speech on the news and I thought George didn't look very well........his face looks very thin and gaunt, much more so than even 6 months ago

Is he alright ?........will he make it to 2020 ?.......:o
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I saw a bit of the budget speech on the news and I thought George didn't look very well........his face looks very thin and gaunt, much more so than even 6 months ago

Is he alright ?........will he make it to 2020 ?.......:o

That's just typical grey and dull George Osborne, he's basically the modern version of John Major.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Who said it ? I expect one day he will lose his job but then so will many people through many reasons, but I find your thread heading is very misleading like many posted on DS, posted for effect rather than fact. Reading your last paragraph, why not just say "Osbornes ambition is to be PM"

A big technicality is that, if he becomes PM, he would cease to be Chancellor. So yes, I think he is bidding to be PM but I wanted a more eye-catching thread title. ;-)
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    That's just typical grey and dull George Osborne, he's basically the modern version of John Major.

Indeed, he would be making the same transition as John Major (and Gordon Brown) but has little charisma.