Options

"I joked I was half human once, it didn't go down all that well"

comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That's all it will take. Just a Doctor to say that so we can put the whole sorry mess behind us :D

Moffat (if you're reading) get these words in the Capaldi's mouth immediately please!

Comments

• Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    That's all it will take. Just a Doctor to say that so we can put the whole sorry mess behind us :D

Moffat (if you're reading) get these words in the Capaldi's mouth immediately please!

Didn't Ten more or less say this once?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Did he? Ok good! Sorted then!

(I missed it, when?)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the theory that only the McGann Doctor was half-human*, and all the
    others were 100% Time Lord?

* Due to a quirk in the McCoy-McGann regeneration.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joked that once but I think I got away with it.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

I think that was a deleted line. He was going to say he was half human once for about an hour and a half, but the line was cut.

Making it only a joke would create problems of its own, though, since the half-human thing became so crucial to the plot of the TVM...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The great thing about the half-human thing is that it is the one thing that almost everybody can agree on; it didn't happen.

Even official work tries to explain it away, which I find hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making it only a joke would create problems of its own, though, since the half-human thing became so crucial to the plot of the TVM...

its been a while since I've seen it - why is it crucial to the story he is half human?
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However it has been said that humans are similar to time lords. 10 and 11 both said time lords evolved first though. That's why he likes humans so much. We are like his distant cousins !.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    its been a while since I've seen it - why is it crucial to the story he is half human?

Quick version is that the dais concealing the Eye of Harmony can only be opened by a human retina pattern, which the Master discovers that the Doctor has.

It's the fact that the Doctor and Master both say the same thing independently of each other that makes it hard to reconcile. Unless the TARDIS suddenly knew to reconfigure the lock to match a human retina just because the Doctor developed one only a couple of hours ago...

Otherwise, whether or not the Doctor's retina pattern actually changes when he regenerates, he was expecting his eye to be a human one when he set it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick version is that the dais concealing the Eye of Harmony can only be opened by a human retina pattern, which the Master discovers that the Doctor has.

It's the fact that the Doctor and Master both say the same thing independently of each other that makes it hard to reconcile. Unless the TARDIS suddenly knew to reconfigure the lock to match a human retina just because the Doctor developed one only a couple of hours ago...

Otherwise, whether or not the Doctor's retina pattern actually changes when he regenerates, he was expecting his eye to be a human one when he set it up.

ah yeah very good point!
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    The great thing about the half-human thing is that it is the one thing that almost everybody can agree on; it didn't happen.

Even official work tries to explain it away, which I find hilarious.

I don't agree.... It did happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I took it as a rather misguided interpretation of what they'd been building up to with all of that Cartmel Masterplan stuff, Lady Peinforte's "so much more than just a Time Lord" comment, etc.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be reconciled. Tenuously.

I mean it's obvious when watching TVM the half human thing is just written in and nailed on.

But...

The way I think of it is this.

The Doctor jokes with Gareth at the institute that he is half human. A ruse he uses to swipe his identity card to go up and get the clock he needs for the TARDIS.

A distraction.

When the Tardis shows the Master the doctor's eye it is shown to be human. Could the Tardis be playing some sort of trick on the Master?

The last point is the trickiest one. The master explains how he was able to open the eye. Lee is human and the doctor is only half. The final nail in the coffin you'd think. The doctor doesn't deny it. But he doesn't confirm it either. He stays completely silent almost like he's not sure what is going on but that the master is wrong.

Tenuous and only a fan theory but it works for me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doctor had a pocket watch. He used a Chameleon arch that only half worked. THAT MUST BE IT!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The doctor had a pocket watch. He used a Chameleon arch that only half worked. THAT MUST BE IT!

Who knows? Maybe he selectively re-wrote part of his DNA just to ensure that the Time Lords couldn't take control of his TARDIS, or that only he and his companions could open the Eye. Perhaps when he fought with the Time Lords he decided that this wasn't necessary any more.

Or, yes, maybe he decided that it would be funny to pretend to be half-human, and so he falsified his own records to fool people. Maybe this was the forerunner to erasing himself from databases through time - obscure his history and legend by pretending to be something other than what he is.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member

Why? The only "sorry mess" was the stupid idea of the Time Lords, going all the way back to The War Games. The Doctor, our hero, should've been totally human, not an alien. It's an insult to the entire human race to suggest that we're all so weak and useless that we repeatedly need to be rescued by someone who isn't even one of us!

The "half human" thing was a small step in the right direction, going halfway towards putting right the biggest mistake the series ever made. We should be celebrating it, not trying to pretend it never happened.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I am sure I read somewhere that (had a full season been commissioned off the back of the 1996 TV movie) the "half human" revelation would lead into an on-going story about the Doctor's mother being from Atlantis.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? The only "sorry mess" was the stupid idea of the Time Lords, going all the way back to The War Games. The Doctor, our hero, should've been totally human, not an alien. It's an insult to the entire human race to suggest that we're all so weak and useless that we repeatedly need to be rescued by someone who isn't even one of us!

The "half human" thing was a small step in the right direction, going halfway towards putting right the biggest mistake the series ever made. We should be celebrating it, not trying to pretend it never happened.

The Doctor clearly states that he and Susan are from another planet right back in the very first episode. He was always meant to be an alien.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    The Doctor clearly states that he and Susan are from another planet right back in the very first episode. He was always meant to be an alien.

Not necessarily. It could've been a human colony world in the future. (After all, that's still better than him being totally alien.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you have the Peter Cushing films so it's all good
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily. It could've been a human colony world in the future. (After all, that's still better than him being totally alien.)

I think that's a stretch, considering it makes far more sense that he came from an alien world and the way the story ultimately pans out supports that notion.

I don't see what's so bad with him not being human. We've got enough TV and films where a supposedly superior alien threat gets laughably defeated by us meagre humans. I like the fact that Who doesn't treat humans as the perfect, can-do-anything species that sic-fi often makes us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think you understand the point of The Doctor at all...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CamCam wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the point of The Doctor at all...

The idea of the Doctor should've been to represent us humans triumphing over filthy subhuman alien scum. This was sadly thrown out of the window when they decided to make him just another piece of filthy subhuman alien scum. Since then, there hasn't been any point to him, at all. That's why I like to pretend all that stupid Time Lord stuff never happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I think that's a stretch, considering it makes far more sense that he came from an alien world and the way the story ultimately pans out supports that notion.

I don't see what's so bad with him not being human. We've got enough TV and films where a supposedly superior alien threat gets laughably defeated by us meagre humans. I like the fact that Who doesn't treat humans as the perfect, can-do-anything species that sic-fi often makes us.

It only "makes more sense" because of what later stories did.

If you watch the early episodes with no preconceptions at all, the implication seems to be that the Doctor was originally a human who somehow became more than human as a result of his exposure to time travel. The Doctor even specifically says as much in TEotD.

But that whole becoming-more-than-human thing doesn't make any sense if you assume he was never human to start with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of the Doctor should've been to represent us humans triumphing over filthy subhuman alien scum. This was sadly thrown out of the window when they decided to make him just another piece of filthy subhuman alien scum. Since then, there hasn't been any point to him, at all. That's why I like to pretend all that stupid Time Lord stuff never happened.

I think you've missed the entire point of the show...

I bet we can guess who you voted for :D