Bad news Dr.Who fans - Mat Smith has no plans to leave...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    I really can't do this:

... debate anymore. It's been done to the death. Nothing more to say on it at all. I don't know how it hasn't drove regular forum visitors up the bloody wall and rendered them insane...[/QUOTE]

You mean some of us aren't insane?:eek:

I used to be sane. Then I joined the forum!!;):D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As that article totally contradicted itself (first itsays he has no plans to leave and then it says he has one year) I think it's safe to ignore it. Truth is, he's there until they announce he's leaving.
  • col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Awsome news.Since Matt took over i have absolutely loved the show more than ever.I enjoy watching the show now with the passion i did in the Tom Baker years.I think the stories are on parr to.What i also like about Matts era is that they have well and truly done away with the London/Cardiff invasions every other week which was getting tiresome and got down to some real stories again.

Dont get me wrong,i think Chris was brilliant and tennant was good but Matt has brought back the 60s/70s style doctor again
    and i would love him to stay for a long long time.

It would be great to have a long term doctor again instead of how it was in the 80s with a new one taking over what felt like every couple of years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Truth is, he's there until they announce he's leaving.

Oh geez :( I've just realised, if the forums are mad now, what will they be like when there's actual news!
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but is there anyone in the world who doesn't think that he'll be leaving in the 50th anniversary special? It's an absolute no-brainer.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    ..Dr.Who!

I wish he would make plans so I can start watching this again. It's like watching a poor childrens tv drama now.

[news]Matt Smith on 'Doctor Who': 'I have no plans to leave'[/news]

Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely love Matt as the Doctor, best Doctor for a very long time. I hope he sticks around for ages :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely love Matt as the Doctor, best Doctor for a very long time. I hope he sticks around for ages :D

I agree 100%.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Matt as the Doctor, so am overjoyed to hear he will not be leaving any time soon.

The fact that this also irritates those locals who seem to think their negative opinion of Smith/Moffat is somehow an undeniable, objective fact of nature and that anyone who disagrees is immature/stupid/clinically insane...well, that's just icing, isn't it? :D
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the NTA award seems to back up the opinion that I have that, even through some slightly dodgy stories, the one thing thats kept Who watchable has been Matt Smith.

And long may he continue
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Sorry, but is there anyone in the world who doesn't think that he'll be leaving in the 50th anniversary special? It's an absolute no-brainer.

I really hope he stays beyond the 50th anniversary. I think it's more likely that we could expect a multi-Doctor story than a regeneration, but who knows? We've never had a 50th anniversary of DW before. ;)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syramu wrote: »
    I really hope he stays beyond the 50th anniversary. I think it's more likely that we could expect a multi-Doctor story than a regeneration, but who knows? We've never had a 50th anniversary of DW before. ;)

50 is a great number because it is an even number, a multiple of 5, a multiple of 10 and half of 100! :D:D;):cool::p
    Everyone loves even number, multiples of 5, multiples of 10 and factors of 100! :D
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    As that article totally contradicted itself (first itsays he has no plans to leave and then it says he has one year) I think it's safe to ignore it. Truth is, he's there until they announce he's leaving.

I don't think the article's a contradiction at all, simply a misinterpretation of Matt saying he's 'got a year' of Who (which he did say) - by that he could easily mean he's spending much of the rest of this year filming Doctor Who, which is true.

Anyway, I wonder if it would be a shock to the OP for them to find out they don't represent the views of all Doctor Who fans? :rolleyes: I certainly don't agree with them, and don't appreciate the generalisation that all DW fans have the same anti-Matt opinion....
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    col b wrote: »
    Awsome news.Since Matt took over i have absolutely loved the show more than ever.I enjoy watching the show now with the passion i did in the Tom Baker years.I think the stories are on parr to.What i also like about Matts era is that they have well and truly done away with the London/Cardiff invasions every other week which was getting tiresome and got down to some real stories again.

Dont get me wrong,i think Chris was brilliant and tennant was good but Matt has brought back the 60s/70s style doctor again
    and i would love him to stay for a long long time.

It would be great to have a long term doctor again instead of how it was in the 80s with a new one taking over what felt like every couple of years.

Thanks col, what you said, exactly! The last couple of years It's been great really looking forward to Who every time it's on as opposed to watching more or less 'out of duty' because it's Who, as it got for me gradually with the last Tennant series and the 'specials' (which I don't think were, but there you go)
    Having said that I didn't think much of this year's Christmas special either, but I've seen a lot worse over the years:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I like all the nu-Who Doctor's equally.

I am a little unsettled by the tone of Matt's shows but that is more about the direction, writing and production.

It's a long game and I'm sure it will come good in the end. I think Matt will age well in the show and if he wants to do a long run that is fine by me.

To be honest, I can't see anyone else out there who would be better in the role right now anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. I find Matt an excellent Dr and the way 'his' version of the Dr is written and portrayed has far more layers and a more alien feel than Tennant's shouty Dr.

The fact that Matt's Dr doesn't quite get humans and human emotions (much like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory) does allow for a bit more texture to stories than Tennant's Dr who was just a bit too ego-full human.

This not a criticism of Tennant's Dr per se as it will have been a combination of the writing and direction that people in the production wanted his version to go.

I personally think the current incarnation of the Dr and the way the show is constructed is the best version for sometime. An alienish Dr who feels distant fom humans but still feels for them, smaller stories, some good proper story arcs...which certianly aren;t complicated if you watch the shows and have your brian turned on. Certianly this style of multi-season arc would not have worked so much in 'old' Who and has much to thank from Babylon 5 and then Buffy that showed how multi-season arcs could be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Having said that I didn't think much of this year's Christmas special either, but I've seen a lot worse over the years:)

Not the best one but the last two Specials have had themes 'A Christmas Carol' and 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' and I think this year the concept came first and the story came afterwards which wasn't as strong as others. It would have been fine as an episode within a season but I like a bit more on Xmas Day. Although other people will have liked it because it was a bit of heart-warming fluff...which is absolutely fine for Xmas day too...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What great news! I hope Matt stays on as the Doctor for at least as long as Tom Baker! Its a shame the OP didn't use a neutral title to announce this thread and avoid the imminent flame war,but some people insist on foisting opinions on us as fact.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Its all in the arms/hands, both men clench their hands and push them up at right angles from their wrist when excited, it is all too alike with for me , topped with the jacket and shirt, and the way the head is held, its just a thing that really bugs me and puts me off the way he plays my lovely Doc.

Ah, but that's just classic mad scientist stuff!

Eleventh's mad wringing and gesturing isn't the same as Bean's clenching at air.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I personally prefer Smith to Tennant (although neither Smith or Tennant have topped my opinion of Eccleston, which may potentially be biased as Nine was my first encounter with the show) and think he's done a great job in the show, more or less. He has shown a huge range of emotions in Series 5 and 6 that are simply not as overblown as those of Ten. My only real issue with Smith, and I don't know how much to put this down to the writing, is that after two years in the role he still somewhat feels like the 'new' Doctor and hasn't settled in... it's a little jarring, and I don't know what to put it down to but thinking that Eleven may regenerate any time soon doesn't feel right.
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Blink was the best episode of almost anything that I have ever watched.

I have never been able to understand the Blink love, it's the most over-rated episode of any series of New Who in my opinion, it was OK but is nowhere near the top of my list of favourites.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I have never been able to understand the Blink love, it's the most over-rated episode of any series of New Who in my opinion, it was OK but is nowhere near the top of my list of favourites.

What about it do you think has been over-rated?
    Forum Member
    What about it do you think has been over-rated?

All of it. So many people seem to think it's the best episode ever and in my eyes it has only ever been average.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I feel that Matt Smith is a great actor to play the Doctor, although he has had pretty rubbish stories so far in my opinion. I much preferred the RTD era stories, apart from the "world is doomed, oh wait not it's all fine" scenarios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of it. So many people seem to think it's the best episode ever and in my eyes it has only ever been average.

Why do you think it is average? I'd like to know?

Personally I think it's a stunning episode, it used time travel in a non-Dr way, the time travel created wonderful emotional connections with the characters, the idea was great, the acting was great and the meeting between Sally Sparrow and the time-displaced detective was beautiful but not mawkish.

Oh, and of course it made the mundane full of fear...statues...they can't harm you...they don't move...they are stone and concrete and marble...or are they...the total passive of an enemy...an enemy that you can't even see moving towards you...an enemy that doesn't even really kill you but just displaces you in time...which can be worse than death especially those left behind...it had the Hammer Horror/H P Lovecraft Call of Cthulu scariness where by the viewer's imagination creates the horror more than what is on the screen.

Non-mawkish Emotion...time-travel used without the Dr...a puzzle to work out...static terror...wonderful stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Why do you think it is average? I'd like to know?

Personally I think it's a stunning episode, it used time travel in a non-Dr way, the time travel created wonderful emotional connections with the characters, the idea was great, the acting was great and the meeting between Sally Sparrow and the time-displaced detective was beautiful but not mawkish.

Oh, and of course it made the mundane full of fear...statues...they can't harm you...they don't move...they are stone and concrete and marble...or are they...the total passive of an enemy...an enemy that you can't even see moving towards you...an enemy that doesn't even really kill you but just displaces you in time...which can be worse than death especially those left behind...it had the Hammer Horror/H P Lovecraft Call of Cthulu scariness where by the viewer's imagination creates the horror more than what is on the screen.

Non-mawkish Emotion...time-travel used without the Dr...a puzzle to work out...static terror...wonderful stuff.

I agree 100%