Advice re dog wont stop barking around new people

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a 1 and a half year old unspeyed female Cavachon (bichon frise x cavalier king charles) and she barks loudly whenever a new person walks in, usually if they are male but sometimes she does with women too, however shes fine with my boyfriend who has been with her since a puppy and loves some people apart from me and him like my mum and sister

this barking is affecting my business as I work from home and when a client comes I have to have my boyfriend reluctantly take her out for a walk, this is fine for an hour appointment but any longer and with the weather he doesnt want too

my dog barks loudly but wags her tail and is reluctant to go near the offending person, I also got one of those cats in baskets that looks real, when stroked it miaows and she barked her head off at that, much to our amusement!

She also around halloween barked at children in masks and a large scary looking manequin

what can I do to stop this behaviour? Even when I take the client upstairs she continues to bark sometimes for the full hour which I cant have due to neighbours

she also barks when someone knocks on the door but I dont have a problem with this as I understand a lot of dogs do it?

Have you any advice on how I can stop her barking and acting so strange around certain new people? i will add my dog loves other dogs and kids and is fine with them, she loves cats too as I have 3 and they all love eachother

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Would it be possible to have a behaviourist (qualified) in for a few sessions to the home to see exactly what is happening and give you some good pointers??

It is hard to judge without knowing fully

She obviously knows that this kind of behaviour is getting her attention- I.e a long walk for starters so you need to start ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding good.

Perhaps when she begins barking totally ignore her just fit a baby gate and put her for short cooling off periods behind it- each time she comes out and starts again she goes back behind the baby gate until she is quiet and then the very moment she is quiet she gets praise to high heaven. Also when you have guests perhaps try and provide a 'safe' area for her where she can retreat to to chill out with kongs etc to keep her amused and tell also tell any visitors to ignore her totally until she is calm and behaved and then only give her attention.

As you say to an extent I think barking when the door goes is normal for many, many dogs. I usually take mine to the door with me. Let him see/sniff who it is- So he knows they are welcome etc and then expect him to calm down- if he doesn't he gets a few minutes cooling off time and is usually very good after that!

But I think a behaviorist would be able to offer more professional advise!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, my mum is a vet nurse and suggested a behaviourist too so think I'll look at that next

She has a baby gate already on the kitchen where she stays when I'm busy, she has loads of toys and I do spoil her a bit so maybe I could do to be firmer! lol, thanks for that :)
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dog is sensing your stress now and barks because she is guarding you. She needs to learn that you are the boss and if you say the new person is safe, then she should accept that. When someone new comes in, make her stay behind you so that she obeys you no matter what or who else is there.