Does Online dating work

This question I hope will get a bit of a response because for some it works and for some it doesn't.

I know that if you keep an open mind and don't expect too much , online dating can work really well.

Do you have any funny stories?

Any Success?

Answers on a postcard please lol

Comments

• glitterlady08glitterlady08 Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tried it. I met Oh at Uni...:D

Have you.....??

Good luck people...:) I hope it works for some...;)
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't tried it as in long term relationship, but I know many people on DS have met just through this forum, with lots of success stories.

Hope you get some more encouraging replies and welcome to DS :)
  • Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a huge thread in the advice section titled eharmony all about online dating.

I went on a few dates from POF - Married one of them less than 9 months later :D
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I know people who it worked out for.

Didn't work out for me.

Just don't expect too much or you could be disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Met my husband online. It's working out quite nicely. We celebrated our anniversary today.
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will find out when i have been on a few more dates with someone who i met online :)
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will find out when i have been on a few more dates with someone who i met online :)

My neighbour uses it and they often stay overnight in the spare bedroom:)
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a relative of mine met her partner online but she had to date a few frogs before she met her prince. one guy she was seeing was a lorry driver & she didnt want her mother to find out so he had to park his rather large lorry a few streets away :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    That's funny , so in that case the lorry driver wasn't good enough or was she a bit embaressed
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Online dating worked for my Dad and my best friend, and their receptive partners, that would be weird other wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I think there are too many dating sites out there to be honest

At last count , 40,000 I think , and lets face it you always seem to find the same faces on them.

I even found a dating site that was dedicated to those users who are addicted to pinterest and who like to share pictures of themselves and the things they love.lot of famous faces though mainly B List

Yes ok I signed up like the sad man I am , I ended up speaking to a famous girl so in than instance it was good but come on

, I mean what ever next

I fart in bed dating
    morningbreath dating
    lol
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Met my second wife online and it was a disaster, we lasted 10 years and had two children but that was mainly because neither of us wanted to be left on the shelf. the first 2-3 were ok but in the end it got unbearable and we parted. We would probably not have got together had we known each other first, we were completely different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's funny , so in that case the lorry driver wasn't good enough or was she a bit embaressed

no, she found out he was still living with his wife whereas she was divorced & free
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    no, she found out he was still living with his wife whereas she was divorced & free

I thought it was the lorry that was not going to be good enough :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was the lorry that was not going to be good enough :):)

the lorry driver seemed to have a woman in every town, thats why he wasnt good enough
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daffodil67 wrote: »
    There's a huge thread in the advice section titled eharmony all about online dating.

I went on a few dates from POF - Married one of them less than 9 months later :D
    9 months later eh....quite a date then ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mm its a tricky one, its very visual online and it is a cruel world.
    My best mate is a girl and she gets shags easy on POF and OK CUPID, my brother put a profile up and found a GF very quickly where as I being very overweight was on there for 7 years, virtually never receiving a reply to my messages, even though I would find bits about the people I liked and try to make conversation.
    I eventually got to the point where I thought that it was pointless and started taking the mick, I stuck up a pile of photos of myself pulling a variety of stupid faces and then I left them up on there.
    In the meantime I lost five stone but have left the old photos up as a laugh, and I get loads of emails and responses now - totally bizarre.
    I have lost respect for online dating now and treat it as a bad joke, but get a better response rate, whilst honest and nice I got nothing.

Does it work, certainly for some people it does but you need to be fit or you will be left waiting a long time (or indeed a dumbass like me now)

;)
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mm its a tricky one, its very visual online and it is a cruel world.
    My best mate is a girl and she gets shags easy on POF and OK CUPID, my brother put a profile up and found a GF very quickly where as I being very overweight was on there for 7 years, virtually never receiving a reply to my messages, even though I would find bits about the people I liked and try to make conversation.
    I eventually got to the point where I thought that it was pointless and started taking the mick, I stuck up a pile of photos of myself pulling a variety of stupid faces and then I left them up on there.
    In the meantime I lost five stone but have left the old photos up as a laugh, and I get loads of emails and responses now - totally bizarre.
    I have lost respect for online dating now and treat it as a bad joke, but get a better response rate, whilst honest and nice I got nothing.

Does it work, certainly for some people it does but you need to be fit or you will be left waiting a long time (or indeed a dumbass like me now)

;)
    Not necessarily mate . I'm certainy not "fit" but I've met a lovely girl and she thinks I am somehow lol.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met my husband online. We've been really happy for ten years, so yes, it can definitely work.

I had to plough through messages from over 800 blokes to find him though, so it did require time and effort (this was back in the day when I had super-slow dial-up internet!)

Obviously, it doesn't work for everyone though. My brother-in-law has met several dozens of ladies onine over the years and he still hasn't met the right one.

It's like saying 'Does meeting someone at a party work?' - Yes, it does for some people but not for others! It depends who you meet online! There aren't a separate load of people who just exist online - they are the same people you might meet at work or a party or somewhere else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a numbers game. Could work perfectly for you and you meet the right girl tomorrow, for the person next to you they could (like me) spend 4 years looking for the right one or one who hangs around long enough to give it a chance. I met my ex of 5 years via Internet dating though.

In most ways it's no different to "normal" dating - although I'd argue it gives you the chance to test each other out before you meet, unlike meeting pissed in the kebab shop queue at 4am, the only difference I think it brings is that it's made quite a few people a lot more shallow and ruthlessly selective, like conveyor belt dating. The attention span isn't as long as it once was, not when it seems so easy to find someone else if the person you're seeing doesn't quite meet *all* your needs (does anyone?).

Other than that, it's grand! My only recommendation is to try and meet up in real life within as short a time as possible - no more than 2 weeks. If they won't even swop numbers or other details, then they've got something to hide and it's time to move on.

I'm still looking. Combination of being a former checkbox dater, having high standards (having temporarily lowered them I suddenly realised it was very much for the best to higher them again ASAP) and when finding the "right" ones, them not hanging around for long....
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been with my partner 7 years next month, so a success story.

There are some weirdos out there though, time wasters and people who just want a one night stand :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Ive been with my partner 7 years next month, so a success story.

There are some weirdos out there though, time wasters and people who just want a one night stand :eek:

Or, as in my case last year - a guy pretending to be his son! Only found out when I met him a few days after we got talking. Quickest date ever, I walked in, told him he wasn't who his pics were and walked right out again to shouts of "what's your problem?"