Panasonic DMR-BWT735

Hi all,
Has anyone got a Panasonic DMR-BWT735 or know much about it. I'm thinking of getting one so wanting a non biased opinion lol. I need to connect to old CRT TV - is this possible with this unit - scart to scart?
Thx Pete

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From reading the manual downloaded from the Panasonic website this unit does have a SCART. However, it appears that the SCART is wired for input only. The only video output is HDMI.

It even says in the manual that it cannot be connected to a TV without HDMI.
  • wolfman999wolfman999 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I've got one and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Unfortunately, you cannot connect to a TV without an hdmi lead. The scart connection is to connect to a sky box to copy in sd only.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get hdmi to scart converters though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hdmi-to-scart
    Dave
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That recorder is a fantastic bit of kit , if you can still find one get it but being very blunt if you can afford a new recorder get yourself a proper tv to use it with .

To try to botch things up with a converter is going to look dreadful on a crt tv and it my not allow it to display bluray dur to hdcp issues .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    That recorder is a fantastic bit of kit , if you can still find one get it but being very blunt if you can afford a new recorder get yourself a proper tv to use it with .

To try to botch things up with a converter is going to look dreadful on a crt tv and it my not allow it to display bluray dur to hdcp issues .

Agreed. What's the point of spending £400 on a new decent bit of kit to play and record HD/BluRay and to then pair it with an old CRT non HD TV?.

You may as well stick with your existing DVD recorder, or buy the DVD model rather than the BluRay model.
  • petequespeteques Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thx to all for those replies.

To iangrad - what did you mean if I can still get one? Theyre fairly new arent they and still in stock?

To captain and ian again - I agree entirely - a new TV would be better - but due to family (children bumping into TV etc) I need for a while to stay with hefty stable CRT even though I know I could probably stabilise a flat screen somehow.

Ive priced panasonice dvd recorder up (old one broken captain thats why I need something new) and best price is 270 for a 320gb hard drive. Best price on the panasonic blu ray recorder is 350 for 1TB hard drive. This seems to me to be better value. What you think?

Has anyone done what dave suggests and use hdmi to scart converters? If it works for time being I can get better TV later.

Thx again for all your help - Pete
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are still about at £349. John Lewis are doing them for £30 more than that but will do a price match if Richer Sounds are still selling at £349. They are excellent machines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peteques wrote: »
    Thx to all for those replies.

To iangrad - what did you mean if I can still get one? Theyre fairly new arent they and still in stock?

Unfortunately this is no longer listed by pana you will have to rely on the stock some dealers bought in a while ago . If there is to be a replacement there is no info at the moment . Get one while you can LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thx iangrad.
    Wow they were listed by pana last week but you are right - no listing now! I wonder why they have stopped doing them - any probs with them I wonder? Thx Pete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly no problems with the units . Pana along with most importers tend to launch the new model ranges around this time of year ( Pana's Show to the trade is in a few days time )

There may be no direct like for like replacement ? but who knows . If you fancy a new recorder I doubt if any new model would have a real game changing feature - with the one proviso that the new Pana TV range has the new type of guide that allows you to go back in time and link to iplayer , Itv player & 4od etc . Don't know that a recorder would benefit from this ?

Wall mount your new TV to prevent the kids from messing with it ! --- you know that TV that you will need to go with your recorder LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thx iangrad and others for all your help! Pete
    Forum Member
    Thx iangrad.
    Wow they were listed by pana last week but you are right - no listing now! I wonder why they have stopped doing them - any probs with them I wonder? Thx Pete

It may just be they are about to launch new models.

But equally, with everyone else pretty much pulling out of that market, it could be Panasonic are dropping the machines entirely to concentrate solely on Freeview+HD recorders with no DVD or BluRay recorder drives built in.

Or they could even be dropping those types of machines entirely and have no PVRs at all going forward. Nearly everyone else has pulled out of the market too. Toshiba, Sony, Digitalstream, Philips, Sagemcom, TVOnics etc. have all either pulled out of the Freeview +HD PVR market or are continuing to produce models that are getting long in the tooth, with no updated models on the horizon.

The only decent company left continuing to produce new, updated models is Humax. Vestel are still in the market too, but their machines are sold under various names for the likes of Argos, and each new model seems to produce more problems and issues than the last model.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Panasonic models talked about here are the last ones they produce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just launched is the 740 . Spec wise it look very much like the 735 but the new one will scale to 4K . Just don't expect the importer led huge discounts that have led to the current price of the 735 to be around until this time next year , at which point there may be yet another new model out !
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Just launched is the 740 . Spec wise it look very much like the 735 but the new one will scale to 4K . Just don't expect the importer led huge discounts that have led to the current price of the 735 to be around until this time next year , at which point there may be yet another new model out !

From the looks if it the only difference to the 735 seems to be that 4K upscaling.

If I had the money I'd just stick to the 735.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thx iangrad.

If we are still talking about the 735 then Amazon, Richer Sounds And JL are still doing them.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad i got my 735.. as although still no clue as to why they provide s-video on the Scart input..the emerging features still amaze me after a month of use..
    It will delete a whole folder of files with one button press and about 30 times faster than any Humax..
    The Multiple Delete in Editing is silky smooth and we now have 5 minutes of the Crufts Dog Show out of hours recorded..
    The are NINE Conversion Formats within the device and a bonus for me is that..
    it reads Unfinalised DVDs and RWs made on other Pan recorders..
    Reads and writes Dvd RAM too..and for a real treat,,
    Only at the weekend.. I switched on an old laptop and was astonished to see the Full Folders for all the recorded progs on the machine. and they play a treat.. alos all Channels are available..
    Icing on cake if i could copy my home made videos across the Network ...Is this likely please?
    Ta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can play your recording from your PC but you can't record them to the Pana , you sound like your are enjoying your new machine -- its a fantastic piece of kit .
  • volvofanvolvofan Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    :).Hi,I dont know if it helps any but there are Panasonic 735's and 635's refurbished by Panasonic themselves on Ebay.£289.99 for 735 and £209.99 for the 635.Except for recording Blu ray on the 735 I dont know of any other difference between the two.A friend has recently bought a DMP 330 from them virtually perfect condition,worth a look perhaps.Link for 735:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=pansonic+735&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1.Link for 635:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMR-PWT635-Smart-3D-Blu-ray-Player-with-Freeview-HD-1TB-HDD-Recorder-/191124865176?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item2c7fee0098.
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife has been in hospital all week and i have been recording for her all her Soaps..
    they are classified as 'Drama'..however..
    I was surprised to find that without doing anything ..other than plug in a cable ..she will be able to watch her Soaps in HD on the TV and I will be able to at the same time watch my Science HD ones etc on my cheap Lappy on the couch ..in the Lounge with her... in the evenings..earphones obviously..
    The Lappy picture seems very good..poss not HD..How can I tell how good it is?
    I cannot find any information in the Manual.
  • volvofanvolvofan Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    volvofan wrote: »
    :).Hi,I dont know if it helps any but there are Panasonic 735's and 635's refurbished by Panasonic themselves on Ebay.£289.99 for 735 and £209.99 for the 635.Except for recording Blu ray on the 735 I dont know of any other difference between the two.A friend has recently bought a DMP 330 from them virtually perfect condition,worth a look perhaps.Link for 735:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=pansonic+735&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1.Link for 635:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMR-PWT635-Smart-3D-Blu-ray-Player-with-Freeview-HD-1TB-HDD-Recorder-/191124865176?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item2c7fee0098.
    635 now 189.99 if any help,follow the link above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richer Sounds now ending their stock. £329.99 is their price now. What is the successor machine - anyone know?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    I am glad i got my 735.. as although still no clue as to why they provide s-video on the Scart input..the emerging features still amaze me after a month of use..
    It will delete a whole folder of files with one button press and about 30 times faster than any Humax..
    The Multiple Delete in Editing is silky smooth and we now have 5 minutes of the Crufts Dog Show out of hours recorded..
    The are NINE Conversion Formats within the device and a bonus for me is that..
    it reads Unfinalised DVDs and RWs made on other Pan recorders..
    Reads and writes Dvd RAM too..and for a real treat,,
    Only at the weekend.. I switched on an old laptop and was astonished to see the Full Folders for all the recorded progs on the machine. and they play a treat.. alos all Channels are available..
    Icing on cake if i could copy my home made videos across the Network ...Is this likely please?
    Ta.

Hi stanandjan

I've recently purchased a 735 and haven't even discovered all the features you mentioned.

I'm still trying to get to grips with trying to record my old videos/LG DVD recorder recordings to the new hard drive.

I've managed to connect the old DVD recorder to the 735 via the scart lead (and my old video recorder is connected to the LG so I can view my old video tapes via the LG) and it WILL record to the 735 hard drive. The only spanner in the works is that it is in black and white!

The problem lies with the 735, as I scarted (new word!) it to my sky box and that still comes through black and white. I've read the manual and it says to use a 21 pin scart lead, whereas mine are 20. I'm going to try this and see if it works.

So it possible to transfer your old videos/recordings etc onto the 735, if you don't mind no colour!

Any other suggestions from other members would be appreciated!

Thanks

NL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoorah, good news!!

I've just been playing around with the 735 settings.

No 21 scart pin lead needed, as I went into the AV settings and changed the S-video option to just Video. Now it's coming through in colour!

I can now record all my old videos onto the 1TB capacity on the 735, edit them and stick them on a USB or DVD.

NL
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoorah, good news!!

I've just been playing around with the 735 settings.

No 21 scart pin lead needed, as I went into the AV settings and changed the S-video option to just Video. Now it's coming through in colour!

I can now record all my old videos onto the 1TB capacity on the 735, edit them and stick them on a USB or DVD.

NL

If I'd seen your first post early enough that is exactly what I would have suggested doing. S-Video over SCART is a bodge. S-Video uses two signals, black & white and colour. The black and white component is fed via the Composite Video pin on SCART. The colour component is fed via one of the RGB pins.

If the device at one end is set to Composite Video and the other end to S-Video then you will get a black and white image.

What I would investigate is if the two devices at either end of the SCART can use RGB. That will give you better quality than the Composite Video you are currently using.