Foul Smelling Tonsil Stones

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone experienced these? if you don't know what they are they are like this sorry if your eating :blush:

I often get these sometimes and it feels like i have got small piece of a nut stuck in my throat and cough it up, if you put it near your nose it smells foul and even worse when you crush it as the smell is like shit from your ass or really bad breath smell (Calcified Pus) :o

Tonsil stones, also known as tonsilloliths, are caused by an accumulation of sulfur-producing bacteria and debris that become lodged in the tonsils. The debris, which can include food particles and mucus from post nasal drip, putrefies in the back of your throat and collects in the tonsil crypts which are small pockets on the surface of your tonsils.

The biggest problem with tonsil stones is that when they combine with the volatile sulfur compounds produced by bacteria beneath the surface of your tongue, they can also cause chronic and severe bad breath.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/09/what-those-nasty-white-chunks-that-come-from-your-throat-are/

Comments

• funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I went out with a guy who got these. Any time he noticed anything forming he'd pick it put with a toothpick

Do you get them?

I've had my tonsils removed..
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out with a guy who got these. Any time he noticed anything forming he'd pick it put with a toothpick

Do you get them?

I've had my tonsils removed..

I get them occasionally and it's like just one small tiny chunky piece that comes up but it's very foul if you crush it with your fingers, felt like once or twice nearly choking on them when it happens. I've not had my tonsils out.

This is another reason why i think people that have bad foul breath suffer this and not only keeping their teeth cleaned.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, horrible little blighters they are.
    Only occasionally but they are like concentrated pure evil.
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    The guy I was with also had a 'geographic tongue', have you heard of that? It still worked though ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I get them, I never noticed how they smelled. I get rid of them I don't add them to an effing casserole

What's up with people who have to smell or examine their bodily things, looking at the contents of your hankie after a nose blow , inspect ing your poo after a dump........are you 10 or something ?
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I get them, I never noticed how they smelled. I get rid of them I don't add them to an effing casserole

What's up with people who have to smell or examine their bodily things, looking at the contents of your hankie after a nose blow , inspect ing your poo after a dump........are you 10 or something ?

Surely everyone has a look down the crapper after they've unloaded......
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit, I get some sort of sick kick out of bringing up a tonsil stone, squishing it and having a sniff. I also enjoy popping spots. Maybe I'm a ten year old trapped in a 32 year olds body.

PS there's some cracking tonsil stone extraction videos on YouTube
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Ewwww. Why did I click on this thread?

OP get your tonsils removed and stop posting about the various foul smells your body emits :D
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had these a few times :blush: Just reading this has actually made me dry heave. Last time I had it I was sick all day and night because the thought of them makes me so squeamish. Why am I even posting in this thread?? I need something nice to focus on now!
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I used to get them before my tonsils finally met in the middle and the hospital agreed to remove them. Horrid things.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful things! I have suffered with these for years. They are easily managed but if you know how to deal with them but a lot of people don't know what they are.

I regularly inspect my mouth and get any tiny ones out before they start forming. Any stone sufferer will know the routine with the torch and poking about! I gargle daily and also gargle with mouthwash and mostly this seems to stop them forming. The problem with these things is a lot of doctors / dentists don't seem to have a clue what they are or take any complaints about them seriously. This is a shame as if they aren't managed the bad breath can be embarrassing. I think they are fairly common in people who have tonsils intact. Awful.

If you all want to feel sick I advise entering "tonsil stones" into a YouTube search. I would like to point out that most of them on there are whoppers!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    I have to admit, I get some sort of sick kick out of bringing up a tonsil stone, squishing it and having a sniff. I also enjoy popping spots. Maybe I'm a ten year old trapped in a 32 year olds body.

PS there's some cracking tonsil stone extraction videos on YouTube

This ^^^

Yep, I get them.

The worst ones are the ones you know are 'there' but cannot see or get to because they are hidden in a pouch at the back of the throat. You can feel them brewing and have this vile taste at the back of your throat for aaaages. Finally, it rears its vile-smelling, stinky yellow head and 'erupts'. Poking the little beggar out can sometimes be a job (retch!!!) but very satisfying when victory is sealed.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thankfully never had them as had tonsils out when I was 6
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    and even worse when you crush it as the smell is like shit from your ass
    Very delicately put my dear....... :cool:
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely everyone has a look, just to make sure everything is normal mainly. I once had an infection in my nostril that was giving me slight headaches. The only reason I knew I had this was because of a little bit of blood when I blew my nose in the morning. Had I not looked at the tissue I'd have never known.

Strange colours, textures, blood etc in bodily things is usually a sign that something is wrong. Surely that's why people look.
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have them, my tonsils are full of holes from having tonsillitis so many times so have to make sure to clean them out.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why i find videos like this and spot squeezing or botfly removing fascinating instead of disgusting. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am mistaken, it's these little monkeys I get ocassionally.
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/salivary-gland-stones-salivary-calculi

They pop out at the back of the throat and are as hard as diamond, tiny wee things but they make you gag when you swallow.

Much fun can be had howking them out with a lolly stick without making yourself .
    dry heave.

I feel better having shared that with you.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    Yep, I get these too. I seem to recall looking into why some people get them and some don't - post nasal drip is the likely culprit most of the time.

And post nasal drip from dodgy sinuses is often an indicator of a mild allergy or intolerance to something. So it's possible there is a route to preventing them occuring naturally without needing to get tonsils removed.

I'm in a period of my life where tbh the freshness of my breath is of little consequence, and I can live with having mildly blocked sinuses/post nasal drip. So I've never properly investigated allergies and things.

But I'm convinced they are the cause of 99% of *foul* bad breath that you pick up from people sometimes. I mean, there's stale bad breath due to a mixture of things, which we all know and can live with - but tonsil stones basically turn your mouth into what smells like a ripe skidmark. It's pretty horrific.

If you do get them regularly make sure not to get within about 2 or 3 feet of someone's face when you're talking to them. Even if you think you're removed the visible ones they'll be others back there still giving off the poo-stench I'm afraid.

Mouthwash does nothing in my experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    eurgh..i had that in the past..bit of food lodged right in back of your throat like you stated..trying to get it out or cough it up, was a nightmare :(
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you always get stones with tonsillitis then? I got it a few times last year, and didn't notice stones or anything. They just had the white streaks which I assumed were pus. (Nice, I know.)

One of my friends got it so many times, and kept getting refused surgery, that eventually his tonsils just rotted away by themselves. Horrific.