Options

Poldark

Comments

• Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    How can we - most of them are posting in this thread ;-)

Lol.

Adds nothing to the thread I know but it made me laugh.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With the emphasis on desperate. (Or perhaps that's just me ;-):D)
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen the original and haven't read the books but I am really enjoying this. There is plenty of chemistry between the leads, Ross and Demelza, unlike Ross and Elisabeth where there isn't any. Whatever did he see in her?
    Ross is a complex character and Aidan is doing a great job portraying him and I like Demelza's growth as a character.
    Looking forward to the rest of the season.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be sticking closer to the books (which I have read)
    than the original series with Robin Ellis did, but I am finding
    it all a bit bland somehow. Ross strutting about being 'manly'
    may do wonders for the ladies, but hardly brings across the
    complexity of the written character. Demelza is passable, but
    after Angharad Rees, a poor contender for my idea of her as
    written; and Elizabeth looks (and acts) like a petulant school
    girl. Cousin Francis seems fairly childish too, and as for the
    main villain (to be) George Warleggan, well Jack Farthing
    was funnier when he crashed his car every week in 'Blandings'.
    Glossy but souless would be my overall appreciation of this
    series. In the mould of previous beeb offerings like Atlantis
    and the Musketeers.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've downloaded the books and started reading them. As an adaptation it's pretty good IMO certainly far better than 'The Casual Vacancy'.

The casting of the women does appear to have pandered to modern tastes. In the books Elizabeth is a fragile, ethereal looking fair/blonde woman and Demelza is a lively coltish girl with dark hair and eyes.

The Elizabeth we have in this series is pretty but rather unremarkable apart from her large mouth and Demelza a striking red head who looks like she should be on a catwalk. I wonder why they made Demelza a red head (as in the previous series).
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a bit plodding tbh. There's something missing. But then I read the book over the weekend and found it pretty dull as well so there you go.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    They wanted Angharad Rees as Demelza because they felt she would fit the art and she's a red head. That's all.

Eleanor Tomlinson was called to read the part of Elizabeth, but asked if she could read for Demelza instead and got the part. Coincidence that she's also a red head.

There's a lot of description of the characters and scene setting in the books, which obviously have to be depicted in other ways. That means it seems to be rushed if you don't perceive what's behind what's happening.

There is also shortening of some situations such as Demelza getting together with Ross. In the books she's only 13 when she goes to Nampara so there are several years between her arrival and her marrying Ross. They decided to make Demelza older for TV for reasons which are understandable - many would be shocked at a young girl being taken home by a man of Ross's age even though marriages took place legally a lot younger in the 18th/19th centuries than they do today. Some wouldn't understand that.

The books are worth reading if you can't put yourself into what life was like then. And if you prefer action fantasy historical dramas to those which are accurate and true to the time and place they were set then this won't be for you.
  • Options
    lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is a bloke (like me) who is fed up with every woman they meet swooning over him. (Poldark that is not the poster)

Miaow!

Have to say that, although I was a big fan of the original, and have read all the books,I am also enjoying this. Nobody will ever fill Robin Ellis's shoes but Aidan is making a pretty decent fist of it. Angharad as Demelza was great and, as another poster pointed out. in the books and original series she was only 13 when Ross first took her in - she has been 'aged up' in this series , for pretty obvious reasons. Angharad was quite tiny and could carry off being 13, and quite a while passed before she and Ross married.

Original George Warleggan played by Ralph Bates, who could do brooding and sinister very well (and, sadly died of pancreatic cancer, like Angharad did.)

I was afar the new series would be a disappointment but it isn't. It's different, but in its way just as well cast and we should just enjoy it - I intend to!
  • Options
    jj-minjj-min Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I'm getting bored of this i might consider giving up on it.

Oh don't do that. Give it another few weeks to really get immersed in the story.

Yes it maybe a little slow at the start (some say plodding) by today's fast pace standards, but the original was over several series and covered many books.

I watched avidly as a teenager and read the books afterwards. As I interpreted it, the love was for a long while all on Demelza's side. Ross whilst attracted to her sexually that night was still (misguidedly) in love with Elizabeth for many years. He'd only married Demelza to save her from gossip and as a man of honour believed it was the right thing to do. The love on his side came later, gradual, Demelza eventually realised this but always felt threatened in Elizabeth's presence. It really was a wonderful love story and cornish saga. Aidan's doing a grand job filling Robin Ellis's boots. ( I too was a big Being Human, fan).

Yes, only niggle as others have said is locals not calling him Cap'n, or Cap'n Poldark
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Don't forget Desperate Romantics.

Good heavens, I had forgotten that! Thanks for reminding me! He was only about 25 when he made that gem!
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    It may be sticking closer to the books (which I have read)
    than the original series with Robin Ellis did, but I am finding
    it all a bit bland somehow. Ross strutting about being 'manly'
    may do wonders for the ladies, but hardly brings across the
    complexity of the written character. Demelza is passable, but
    after Angharad Rees, a poor contender for my idea of her as
    written; and Elizabeth looks (and acts) like a petulant school
    girl. Cousin Francis seems fairly childish too, and as for the
    main villain (to be) George Warleggan, well Jack Farthing
    was funnier when he crashed his car every week in 'Blandings'.
    Glossy but souless would be my overall appreciation of this
    series. In the mould of previous beeb offerings like Atlantis
    and the Musketeers.

Spot on, esp. BIB
  • Options
    Kim PKim P Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Genuine laugh out loud moment reading that, thank you!

I'm enjoying this series, as others have mentioned the marriage seemed rather hasty but other than that it is all good harmless Sunday evening entertainment.

I'm the opposite to Leicester Hunk, I'm surrounded by men at work so have no one to chat to about Captain Ross :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I do remember Graham being outraged with the BBC because in the original series, Ross got Demelza pregnant and that was the reason for his marrying her.

In the book he just married her no explanation given.

That would make it a rather strange book :o

I don't fancy Ross Poldark but I have to admire him. He is certainly the type of chap who you would like to have as a chum.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    The locals calling Ross by his first name instead of "Captain Poldark" is really annoying me!!

I am entirely unconvinced by Demelza and see no real chemistry between her and Ross, which is a real shame. The wedding did seem rushed, but they followed the book so I can't complain.

Was I right in thinking that Jinny Martin was shown to be pregnant before she married Jim Carter? That's not right!! I thought their story was too rushed and Jinny was almost overlooked in it, if you know what I mean. She was more of a standout character in the books and I loved her portrayal in the original series.

I'm with the poster that thought the scene of Ross in the field was weird. Yes, it showed off what a fine specimen of manhood he is but it just felt out of place. They would have done better to shown more of him (:blush:) in the love scene imo.

I'm quite liking Demelza actually. It is hard as Rees was so ingrained in my psyche as her (even when reading the books i 'saw' her if that makes sense) but she is growing on me. I'm pleasantly surprised by Turner who i've never rated that highly despite having loved Being Human. Also very much missing Ralph Bates as George but other than that.

Francis is coming across as a pain in the ++++ and the foreshadowing as to his fate is clunky in the extreme. Elisabeth, however is nowhere near as aggravating as in the original. I could never understand what they all saw in her besides obvious beauty.

In general I'm pleased they are sticking more closely to the books (which by chance i stumbled across when clearing a cupboard the other day so will reread) but they are getting through the story but i didn't expect any different in this day and age.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I've downloaded the books and started reading them. As an adaptation it's pretty good IMO certainly far better than 'The Casual Vacancy'.

The casting of the women does appear to have pandered to modern tastes. In the books Elizabeth is a fragile, ethereal looking fair/blonde woman and Demelza is a lively coltish girl with dark hair and eyes.

The Elizabeth we have in this series is pretty but rather unremarkable apart from her large mouth and Demelza a striking red head who looks like she should be on a catwalk. I wonder why they made Demelza a red head (as in the previous series).

I think they probably made Demelza a redhead again simply because Rees is so well remembered and most people's 'image' of Demelza.

ETA: just seen the explanation that the actress just also happens to be a redhead. I actually think she did quite a good job of appearing 'young' and then blossoming, which will obviously continue as she ages and gets better clothes.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »

I'm not picking you out in particular but there hav been a 100 or more posts in a similar vein, and I don't understand.

The character 'Demelza' is on an enormous journey from either childhood or adolescence to maturity/adulthood and being a wife. How on earth are people reducing that - either in this series or the 1970s version - to a single triat like "coltish".

Are you saying she's a coltish child or adult, are you comparing the 1970s child with the 2015 adult - the (over) simplificaton isn't making sense to me? Fwiw, I don't see 'coltish' anywhere but if you do that's fine, but where?
    jj-min wrote: »
    I watched avidly as a teenager and read the books afterwards. As I interpreted it, the love was for a long while all on Demelza's side. Ross whilst attracted to her sexually that night was still (misguidedly) in love with Elizabeth for many years. He'd only married Demelza to save her from gossip and as a man of honour believed it was the right thing to do. The love on his side came later, gradual, Demelza eventually realised this but always felt threatened in Elizabeth's presence. It really was a wonderful love story and cornish saga. Aidan's doing a grand job filling Robin Ellis's boots. ( I too was a big Being Human, fan).
    This is really helpful, thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately nowadays most programmes with actors (dramas, sitcoms, etc) are full of action with very little background to plots. It all has to be established in the first five minutes. It could be that, because this is an unfolding story involving several threads - the artistocrats, the class system, the working classes, the judicial system at the time, the financial system, medicine at the time, e.t.c. - that viewers need to work at watching it rather than sit back and have it all presented in neat package and not expect it to be action packed.

It could have concentrated on just the relationships between the Poldark families and ignored the lives of the working class families, but because Ross chooses to involve himself in the lives of his workers, there's a lot of ground to cover in a relatively short series. It needs viewers to stop and think what life would have been like then; the poverty and how you depended on others in your village - totally different from what it is now where you can switch on a light, buy what you need from shops which are a few minutes drive by car, communicate instantly and where most people have a job with sufficient money to live on and you can live in a street for years and not even know the names of your next door neighbours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Unfortunately nowadays most programmes with actors (dramas, sitcoms, etc) are full of action with very little background to plots. It all has to be established in the first five minutes. It could be that, because this is an unfolding story involving several threads - the artistocrats, the class system, the working classes, the judicial system at the time, the financial system, medicine at the time, e.t.c. - that viewers need to work at watching it rather than sit back and have it all presented in neat package and not expect it to be action packed.

It could have concentrated on just the relationships between the Poldark families and ignored the lives of the working class families, but because Ross chooses to involve himself in the lives of his workers, there's a lot of ground to cover in a relatively short series. It needs viewers to stop and think what life would have been like then; the poverty and how you depended on others in your village - totally different from what it is now where you can switch on a light, buy what you need from shops which are a few minutes drive by car, communicate instantly and where most people have a job with sufficient money to live on and you can live in a street for years and not even know the names of your next door neighbours.

That is true. We really got into life before the Welfare State this week and, at one point, when they were talking in the court about transportation, I thought the new father was going to end up in Banished with Russel Tovey.

The sentences then ... make even the sentences on the back of the riots here a couple of years ago seem lenient.

We even got a hint of the role of religion through Demelza's father. At this rate, we're due a steam engine soon :)
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched avidly as a teenager and read the books afterwards. As I interpreted it, the love was for a long while all on Demelza's side. Ross whilst attracted to her sexually that night was still (misguidedly) in love with Elizabeth for many years. He'd only married Demelza to save her from gossip and as a man of honour believed it was the right thing to do. The love on his side came later, gradual, Demelza eventually realised this but always felt threatened in Elizabeth's presence. It really was a wonderful love story and cornish saga. Aidan's doing a grand job filling Robin Ellis's boots.

I agree with this, although I read the books avidly and watched the seventies series much later than original broadcast. I'm about to re-read the books for the first time in years.
    Yes, only niggle as others have said is locals not calling him Cap'n, or Cap'n Poldark
    Me too. Also I didn't like the field working with shirt removed. Farmers would have 'farmers tan' with only face/neck/collarbone/forearms tanned, because the shirt remained on, for modesty and protection. Naked swimming, not anachronistic: tanned gym torso in the field, anachronistic.

Andy-B wrote: »
    I'm not picking you out in particular but there hav been a 100 or more posts in a similar vein, and I don't understand.

The character 'Demelza' is on an enormous journey from either childhood or adolescence to maturity/adulthood and being a wife. How on earth are people reducing that - either in this series or the 1970s version - to a single triat like "coltish".

Are you saying she's a coltish child or adult, are you comparing the 1970s child with the 2015 adult - the (over) simplificaton isn't making sense to me? Fwiw, I don't see 'coltish' anywhere but if you do that's fine, but where?

I can't speak as to other posters' precise meanings, but I don't think "coltish" is a trait but a physical characteristic. To me, Eleanor Tomlinson exemplifies a coltish build (long-limbed, a bit gangly) and is therefore closer to the book's physical description of Demelza, despite not being dark, than Angharad Rees. I also think she has gone from quite surly in her first scenes in the first episode, to lively by the second - which reflects her growing up in a secure and safe home for the first time in her life. I'm not certain, but I would say at least a year has passed between episodes one and three.

As far as her age goes, I think she is reasonably playing a girl who, in this adaptation, is introduced as about sixteen years old, but will have to age. Tall girls are usually full height by that age. I would find the alternative of having two actresses (or maybe a younger actress for the first series and change for the second) less satisfactory.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Excellent post. It's OK as a bit of light fluff for Sunday night. It's done in the vein of Downton. Period drama for soap audience but that is how they pull in bigger viewing nos. It is formulaic but deliberately so. You know what is going to happen as it is all so sign posted. It may make those after more substance to their drama turn off but they want mass appeal and to be able to flog it internationally. Keep it simple.

I've only just returned to this thread to see what people were saying about the latest episode as I've got it recorded but don't find I'm anxious to watch it.

In my original post I nearly said I found it soap-y but didn't know if people would understand what I mean. I see you feel the same as me.:) The likes of Call The Midwife, Downton, Holby City, Waterloo Road et al obviously have mass appeal, but they're not for me. timebug described it as "glossy but soulless" and that about sums it up.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »

In the book he just married her no explanation given.

As I interpreted it, the love was for a long while all on Demelza's side. Ross whilst attracted to her sexually that night was still (misguidedly) in love with Elizabeth for many years. He'd only married Demelza to save her from gossip and as a man of honour believed it was the right thing to do. The love on his side came later, gradual, Demelza eventually realised this but always felt threatened in Elizabeth's presence. It really was a wonderful love story and cornish saga. Aidan's doing a grand job filling Robin Ellis's boots.
    SULLA wrote: »
    That would make it a rather strange book :o

Winston Graham doesn't spoon-feed his readers. The reasons behind the marriage are not given, but when it happens you know Ross well enough to know what they are - jj-min's analysis is just right, imo.

I actually think the TV programme has shown the protagonists' feelings very well. Ross becoming aware of the urchin child having become an attractive woman. Demelza always felt more for Ross than ordinary love - she saw him as her saviour and mentor as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I've only just returned to this thread to see what people were saying about the latest episode as I've got it recorded but don't find I'm anxious to watch it.

In my original post I nearly said I found it soap-y but didn't know if people would understand what I mean. I see you feel the same as me.:) The likes of Call The Midwife, Downton, Holby City, Waterloo Road et al obviously have mass appeal, but they're not for me. timebug described it as "glossy but soulless" and that about sums it up.
    Well us masses are obviously thoroughly enjoying it. When all viewing figues have been consolidated the second episode achieved over 8 million viewers, being beaten only by Comic Relief and The Voice.

It isn't a sit-back and watch drama - it needs thinking about, unlike soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to point out to people who are fed up with matey riding like the clappers along coastline or up to his house; look at the end of the scene before and also the start of the following scene - one example: he exits the pub, he enters a room in his house.

Without the horsey bit in between it jolts because it could look like his study is joined to the pub.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Just to point out to people who are fed up with matey riding like the clappers along coastline or up to his house; look at the end of the scene before and also the start of the following scene - one example: he exits the pub, he enters a room in his house.

Without the horsey bit in between it jolts because it could look like his study is joined to the pub.

I think we should start a drinking game. A glass of wine, or whatever yer 'avin', for every cliff gallop. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a promising idea!

It's just a devise, though - usually to insert between two interiors or two exteriors ...

I'm sure most people know that ...