Options

North England Government for the North England People. Freedom for the North of Eng

Antony_EdgeAntony_Edge Posts: 95
Forum Member
Life for Northern people will never improve when the country is run by a London Government who are interested in the south east England.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    A London Based Government is only interested in south east of England. North England will never be improve or be any use to South England is only interested in the South England.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The only London MP in the cabinet is Vince Cable plus the NI secretary. Hardly much clout there! By contrast two of the three most senior members of the government represent Cheshire and South Yorkshire.

If northerners think they can do without the south's tax revenues fine.

Enjoy your massive tax rises and the service cuts that would follow. Cos in reality that is what would flow from your independence..
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would think that those labour MP's who in northern constituencies, get voted in decade after decade would have have done something by now to attract investment and jobs into their areas, rather than just taking their constituents votes for granted.

then perhaps any talk of England 'breaking up' would be consigned to the comedy bin.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live as far south east in england as you can, Our area isn't favoured by the government and has been left to rot, Poverty is high here too, I wish some northerners would stop blaming the south east for a london centric problem.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I live as far south east in england as you can, Our area isn't favoured by the government and has been left to rot, Poverty is high here too, I wish some northerners would stop blaming the south east for a london centric problem.

The further away from London you go -- in any direction -- the more neglected the area.

Scotland and Wales benefit from having a degree of autonomy.

If the North, and other areas would be worse off without London, then surely London should be in favour of getting rid of the regions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    The further away from London you go -- in any direction -- the more neglected the

Have you been to Tottenham or Peckham or Harlesden? London has some of the worst poverty and poorest housing in the UK. The streets are not all paved with gold!
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The only London MP in the cabinet is Vince Cable plus the NI secretary. Hardly much clout there! By contrast two of the three most senior members of the government represent Cheshire and South Yorkshire.

Enjoy your massive tax rises and the service cuts that would follow. Cos in reality that is what would flow from your independence..

Not if they had the opportunity to tackle the regional inequality that has become such an issue in the UK. It's not a problem we see in other countries on the same scale that is has become in the UK. It's a fairly recent issue and it ought to be tackled. A federal England might be a solution. At the same time it would help if people in the South realised there really is nothing special about them other than they live in an area that has an economic policy which is designed to maximise it's potential at the expense of other regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you been to Tottenham or Peckham or Harlesden? London has some of the worst poverty and poorest housing in the UK. The streets are not all paved with gold!

Who said anything about poverty?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Who said anything about poverty?

Well neglect was mentioned and that is often correlated with poverty,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Not if they had the opportunity to tackle the regional inequality that has become such an issue in the UK. It's not a problem we see in other countries on the same scale that is has become in the UK. It's a fairly recent issue and it ought to be tackled. A federal England might be a solution. At the same time it would help if people in the South realised there really is nothing special about them other than they live in an area that has an economic policy which is designed to maximise it's potential at the expense of other regions.

Yet again it's apparently all down to the government to sort out all the problems. And that of course is the problem with the north ie far too much government and not enough enterprise.

Maybe it's not the fault of us southerners who suffered under a Durham and Scottish PM for 13 years but possibly northerners who think the world owes them a living. Go independent then - as a Londoner we would be a lot better off financially.
  • Options
    PpuncherPpuncher Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Yep clear off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    North England could be better run by Scotland, if Scotland votes yes.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Yet again it's apparently all down to the government to sort out all the problems.

It's down to government to do all it can to create the necessary conditions to encourage enterprise. Westminster governments tend to be good at representing the interests of big business but they are no good at supporting small to medium sized business.
    And that of course is the problem with the north ie far too much government and not enough enterprise.

This is so ignorant. There are countries with far more government than here in the UK, at all levels, and they have more successful regional economies. Look at the success of countries like Norway and Germany. Britain is a great place for big businesses that pay low wages and little taxes but it's not good at encouraging enterprise in order to attract the kind of business that would provide decent work, wages and revenue.
    Maybe it's not the fault of us southerners who suffered under a Durham and Scottish PM for 13 years but possibly northerners who think the world owes them a living. Go independent then - as a Londoner we would be a lot better off financially.

As a Londoner you are more reliant than anyone else in the UK on public spending and receive higher spending accordingly. I'm not a northerner and I'm not English. I'm from Scotland and we're one of the most economically prosperous parts of the UK alongside London and the South East, however that doesn't mean I'm so ignorant and arrogant that I can't see the obvious; that the North of England, once an economically prosperous part of the UK, has suffered as a consequence of an economic policy that has favoured one part of the UK over the rest. Are you really so consumed with arrogance you truly believe that Southerners are somehow superior than the rest of your countrymen in the North of England? I'm an outsider on this issue but the reality is that the UK has become, over the past few decades, regionally highly economically unequal. This was not always the case and it didn't happen by accident, it's the result of poor a failing economic model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet again it's apparently all down to the government to sort out all the problems. And that of course is the problem with the north ie far too much government and not enough enterprise.

The problem the North faces is precisely excess government -- spending and spending and spending on projects that benefit London to the exclusion of everywhere else.

Surrey is as badly affected as Northumberland -- but the former has merely turned into a commuter-belt wasteland.

Federal governance would indeed negatively impact remote parts of England in the short term, but within a generation those parts with the desire to succeed would be given the opportunity to prosper in their own right. As it stands, the centralised system is creating the dependence culture we see around us.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life for Northern people will never improve when the country is run by a London Government who are interested in the south east England.

Why would northern England want independence?

It doesn't have any oil.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A London Based Government is only interested in south east of England. North England will never be improve or be any use to South England is only interested in the South England.

The problem is that too many people from the North want to live in the South and very few people from the South want to live in the North.

How would you change that?
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the return of the Heptarchy,as i feel my region(the old kingdom of East Anglia) would be ok

i say independance!
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would northern England want independence?

It doesn't have any oil.

We have water which is being stolen from us by the effin southerners.
    About time the North gets a vote as to what happens to our water?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would really suggest building a new administration capital, somewhere near Bradord maybes, but MP and Lords being based in London does create conflict of interest.

This so called 'freedom' is as much a myth.

South Sudan got theirs and now they are wanting freedoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New year could be new start for a North England Debate. You got to question why southern People don't like the idea? Maybe they enjoy telling the rest of the contry what to do?
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    The problem is that too many people from the North want to live in the South and very few people from the South want to live in the North.

How would you change that?
    New year could be new start for a North England Debate. You got to question why southern People don't like the idea? Maybe they enjoy telling the rest of the contry what to do?

I can't see any southern person on here who doesn't like the idea, just a question you ignored.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an inevitable outcome of Scotland going its own way.
    Disintegration is a chain thing. Might even happen to Scotland post independence.

Repeating myself, we really do need a new governance capital. It would even help calm 'overheated London's' housing situation.
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its irrelevant where politicians live, because the people who own the politicians mostly live in London, as the City of London controls most politicians in the UK. They will not risk those cushy directorships and board jobs so meekly bend over for the financial sector which is based in the South.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    What evidence is there that southerners like telling the northerners what to do? Just because London is the capital doesn't mean you're ruled exclusively by southerners. As a southerner I'm in favour of the north having devolution with similar powers to what Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. In fact I think the whole of England should have devolution.
    I was in favour of one parliament for the whole of England but I realise now its too big for devolved government purposes so maybe we should start thinking of regional devolution.

The question is what sort of regional devolution do we want in England? As this thread is about the north of England I'll ask people up there what would you prefer? One devolved government for the whole north of England or devolution for different regions within the north? If its the latter, what regions would you have? Would you have devolution along the official government region lines? This would mean a devolved government each for the north west (Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Cumbria), Yorkshire & Humberside(the name pretty much covers it)and the north east (Durham, Tyne & Wear and Northumberland.
    If that doesn't appeal then where would you draw the boundaries?

There is another option. You could devolved power down to each individual county? I'd like to know what people throughout England think of that idea as it would definitely bring power closer to the people wherever you live as counties tend to cover quite small areas unless you live in Yorkshire or Lancashire though both counties could devolved power to each county and metropolitan county within each of those ceremonial counties if they preferred.
  • Options
    Forum Member

As a Londoner I would not object to the north going independent - we wouldn't have to subsidise you anymore!

As an example local government services in England are funded by business rates - redistributed from rich areas to poorer one. Just one London borough (out of 33) generates more business rates income for the government than Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield and Liverpool city councils combined!

So basically all those lovely council services in the north - are actually funded by businesses in London.

London is an international city - a world city. Sorry but the north needs London a lot more than London needs the north.

Sorry if you don't like the hard cold facts - but enjoy your independence, service cuts and tax rises. And you can keep George Osbourne too!:D