The Heath Ledger Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
Forum Member
I thought it would be nice to start a thread in Heath's memory. A place where fans could come and chat, talk about Heath's films and anything else Ledger related without having to fend off negative comments .:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    That's a really nice idea :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi fff:)

i thought heath had so much potential. the film world has lost an amazing talent.
    i cried when i read the statements his family wrote.
    rip heath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    LoubyLou57 wrote: »
    That's a really nice idea :)

Thanks .I was getting sick of all the nasty posts whenever i wrote about him.
    Does anyone have any fave bits in any of Heaths films?
    I love the bit in "A knights Tale" where he dances to David Bowie "Golden years". Fantastic.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I hadn't really watched many of his films at all, and on Monday I watched Brokeback Mountain, an amazing film, what a loss.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the stripey socks and gloves brigade! :D

Many thanks Fancyfirefoot. Let's hope we can chat in here and appreciate Heath without morbid and sordid speculation about Heath's passing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks .I was getting sick of all the nasty posts whenever i wrote about him.
    Does anyone have any fave bits in any of Heaths films?
    I love the bit in "A knights Tale" where he dances to David Bowie "Golden years". Fantastic.:D

I absolutely love that bit. Everytime I've heard Golden Years since I smile thinking of Heath dancing. Haven't listened to it since though, I can't...yet.

Hmmmm favourite bit in a film...that's one of them. The other is the legendary 'You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off you...", awwwww.

I'll get back to you with more. :D
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    It's the stripey socks and gloves brigade! :D

Many thanks Fancyfirefoot. Let's hope we can chat in here and appreciate Heath without morbid and sordid speculation about Heath's passing.

Thanks Rose:) stripey socks and gloves brigade indeed:D.
  • hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whle he (& Jake) were outstanding in Brokeback Mountain..I have a soft spot for Ten Things I Hate About You (first Heath film I ever saw) and Casanova. More lighter maybe but enjoyable films.

The scene where he pays the band to play and is singing in Ten Things and then starts running along the stands to escape the security guards is still funny many viewings later.

I wish I'd seen more of his films while he was here, but I appreciate that he avoided being typecast and went for roles he felt would challenge him.

Looking forward to Batman this summer.
  • LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    I had huge admiration and respect for Heath as a person and as an actor....it still seems so surreal that he has gone and that the industry has lost such a great talent :( But I'm sure his spirit will live on and his films will be enjoyed time and time again in the future :)

I'm so looking forward to seeing The Dark Knight, although it will be tinged with sadness too. The trailer looks fantastic though and I think it's going to be a phenomenal performance from Heath.

I own most of his films on DVD, although I think it will be a while before I am able to watch any of them again.

Like a lot of people, my first Heath film that I saw was Ten Things I Hate About You - such a great movie and Heath is fab in it :D But I still remember him from before then, when he had a small part in Home & Away....even back then, I thought he was destined for big things so I was made up when I saw that he was in Ten Things!

It's really hard to pinpoint which of Heath's movies would be my favourite as I have enjoyed them all in very different ways...although I guess that Brokeback Mountain will always have a more special place in my heart than the others :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would be nice to start a thread in Heath's memory. A place where fans could come and chat, talk about Heath's films and anything else Ledger related without having to fend off negative comments .:)

This is a really lovely idea; well done to you.

I wasn;t a fan of Heath's but I did enjoy his films and his acting and it's so sad that his death was accidental. He had so much more potential. I feel very, very sorry for the family he's left behind.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a fantastic actor, at least he has left us with his movies to enjoy. I saw 10 things on Sky Movies the other day. I had actually forgotton how good it was. I feel for his family and loved ones. I haven't been on the other thread but I hope people aren't being too negative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been an avid reader of the other thread but haven't posted until now. I feel the same as others about his death and I too don't understand why.

When I first read the title I had to read it a few times and still thought no way, I didn't believe it. Heath Ledger to me was 'that guy out of BBM' although I had never watched it I had Sky+'ed it but never got around to watching it. It was only after reading that thread that I realised who he was and what else he had been in. :( I loved him in The Patriot and A Knights Tale, thought he was a brilliant actor and gorgeous too but I never looked up who he was after I watched those films. I took time out last week and sat and watched BBM, what a fantastic film, and he was great in that too, he drew you in and made the role believable

There's a photo gallery with some really nice pics of him here..

http://showbiz.sky.com/showbiz/picture_gallery/0,,50001-1301921-57,00.html
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    I will never forget Heath's wonderful performance in Brokeback Mountain. The one good thing in this whole very sad saga is that Heath had a great body of work. His whole family can rightly feel very proud of him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlueEyes wrote: »
    I have been an avid reader of the other thread but haven't posted until now. I feel the same as others about his death and I too don't understand why.

When I first read the title I had to read it a few times and still thought no way, I didn't believe it. Heath Ledger to me was 'that guy out of BBM' although I had never watched it I had Sky+'ed it but never got around to watching it. It was only after reading that thread that I realised who he was and what else he had been in. :( I loved him in The Patriot and A Knights Tale, thought he was a brilliant actor and gorgeous too but I never looked up who he was after I watched those films. I took time out last week and sat and watched BBM, what a fantastic film, and he was great in that too, he drew you in and made the role believable

beautiful piccys hun ! i loved heath the first time i saw him in 10 things i hate about you! knights tale is my fave though, i could watch it over and over and not get bored of seeing it! have only caught half of brokeback mountain but it ertainly looks like a great film and i will try and catch the rest when i can! looking forward to batman!
    Forum Member
    BlueEyes wrote: »

Thank you for the pictures, they've made me feel very sad.

I loved A Knight's Tale too, it was the first film I saw Heath in and he stood out even then. I'm not at all surprised he went on to become such a big star, a true star with real talent, not some poxy celeb who was only infamous for being infamous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually first saw Heath in 10 Things I Hate About You, just turned the telly on half way through, not really taking much notice as you do and thought phwoar he's a bit tasty who's that? Who the hell is he? Why the hell haven't I heard about this bloke before? Noticed he was Australian and thought to myself 'he's going to be absolutely huge in Hollywood when he gets going'. Never did catch his name so he disappeared off my radar for ages. Then I saw A Knights Tale and I was completely bowled over, it's a great film and still my favourite. Took me ages to connect the dots and realise that Heath was the Australian Hunk I'd seen in 10 Things I Hate About You all those years ago. lol

What always amazed me and, it still does, is how he could change his look, voice, persona so dramatically from film to film...and we've not even seen The Dark Knight yet.

I suspect upon the release of The Dark Knight, this is what Heath will always be remembered for. From the clips I've seen, he's going to be absolutely awesome as the Joker and I suspect, from that point forward, he'll always be remembered as a legend.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/rainbowaura/darkknightformyspace.jpg
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Dark Knight. It sounds like Heath put his heart and soul into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I actually first saw Heath in 10 Things I Hate About You, just turned the telly on half way through, not really taking much notice as you do and thought phwoar he's a bit tasty who's that? Who the hell is he? Why the hell haven't I heard about this bloke before? Noticed he was Australian and thought to myself 'he's going to be absolutely huge in Hollywood when he gets going'. Never did catch his name so he disappeared off my radar for ages. Then I saw A Knights Tale and I was completely bowled over, it's a great film and still my favourite. Took me ages to connect the dots and realise that Heath was the Australian Hunk I'd seen in 10 Things I Hate About You all those years ago. lol

What always amazed me and, it still does, is how he could change his look, voice, persona so dramatically from film to film...and we've not even seen The Dark Knight yet.

I suspect upon the release of The Dark Knight, this is what Heath will always be remembered for. From the clips I've seen, he's going to be absolutely awesome as the Joker and I suspect, from that point forward, he'll always be remembered as a legend.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/rainbowaura/darkknightformyspace.jpg
    Yeah me too- I didn't remember him for ages either until Knights Tale and then not again til Brokeback. You know on a more upbeat note- you watch loads of films these days, real old classics, when most if not all the leads are no longer here, and it doesn't make it any worse watching them. I was watching 10 Things last week and for a split second I forgot about the sadness and thought, 'its ok cos we'll always have you there on te screen and nothing's really changed' because the actor's relationship with his fans is so completely one-sided and yet intimate at the same time, cos we project so much of ourselves onto them. Anyway, it was a really strangely reassuring moment- know what I mean anyone?
    Forum Member
    BTW, HMV is selling Two Hands for £2:95. Fantastic film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just had a look, all his DVDs except for Ned Kelly are a really good price, with free delivery too.

10 Things I Hate About You £3.99
    Knights Tale £4.99
    BBM £5.99
    Candy £5.49 - that's a really good price, it hasn't been out that long
    Casanova - £4.99

Nice to see they aren't milking Heath's passing.

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?simpleSearchString=heath+ledger&pGroupID=-1&searchUID=-4507830667616963988&adultFlag=false&primaryID=-1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I liked that Casanova film. It got slagged off but I enjoyed it alright.
    Forum Member
    And Woolies is selling Knights Tale for £3.99 (got it yesterday!) Candy seems to be hard to find though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    I liked that Casanova film. It got slagged off but I enjoyed it alright.

It was a bit pants to be fair, but if you like Heath it's a nice lighthearted bit of entertainment.
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everybody! Would like to join this thread! :)

EDIT: I watched Ned Kelly on ITV the other night and it was actually quite good. Bit depressing though... did anyone else like it?
    Forum Member
    Just had a look, all his DVDs except for Ned Kelly are a really good price, with free delivery too.

10 Things I Hate About You £3.99
    Knights Tale £4.99
    BBM £5.99
    Candy £5.49 - that's a really good price, it hasn't been out that long
    Casanova - £4.99

Nice to see they aren't milking Heath's passing.

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?simpleSearchString=heath+ledger&pGroupID=-1&searchUID=-4507830667616963988&adultFlag=false&primaryID=-1
    Btw just bought, Candy, The Sin Eater and Lords of Dogtown from that HMV site, all for £20!!! Thanks for putting it up there, that was brilliant!