Options

BOSE Sound Dock and other sound systems compatible with iPod

I'm interested in the BOSE Sound Dock for playing the tunes on my new Ipod through a speaker system as I don't really want to use it with headphones/earphones.

I've read some good reviews about the SoundDock but it does seem very expensive.

I'm looking for portability - to be able to move it from one room to another as and when I wish without any hassle - which the SoundDock offers.

I'm sure the SoundDock offers very good sound, but I don't know if I really need that much quality. I just want something that sounds like a middle of the range midi stereo system and better than PC speakers.

So can anyone offer any good quality suggestions or recommendations for a reasonable price?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a listen to the iBass unit from Koda - looks good and sounds excellent imo. I've heard the Sound Dock and yes it is better - but the iBass costs almost 1/3rd of the price of the Bose system and for VFM really wins.

It comes with a small remote too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    I've been looking at ipods recently and have been into both dixons (Currys.digital) and John Lewis; they both had a number of docks which you could play with so you may be worth popping along to somewhere like that and have a listen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Bose you will be pay a lot for the badge and also to get their "sound". Personally I dont like the distinctive Bose sound (which I assume you get with this product) and so think the money can be spent a lot better on other brands but if you do like the sound then there basically is no substitute
  • Options
    risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried some iPod speakers Logitech MM50's one to be precise and the sound quality was not there for me. I found that the sound distorted when they was turned up and this was not what I was looking for. A relative of mine also knows somebody who also has the Apple hi-fi and they informed her that the sound on that also distorted when it was turned up to a higher volume.
    I have also read some reviews online that stated that the Apple hi-fi was superior in sound to the Bose sound dock system.

I decided not persue iPod speakers because i felt that the sound quality maybe inferior and i started to look at book shelf speakers instead. There are many portable book shelf speakers out there. Maybe you could consider looking at portable book shelf speakers also?

I have the ipal which is made by Tivoli on order right now and i have read very good things about this model. It can also act as a radio also and it is meant to be pretty powerful with also good sound quality as well. I ordered mine from the Apple website for £99 which is the cheapest that i could find it but the wait time is quite long 2-3wks but i do not mind that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    If portability is a must to you then this probably won't be all that good for you, but you may want to have a look at a thread i started a week or so ago.

As you will see, there are links to a couple of devices there which could be of interest to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Maybe these reviews the Bose and other speakers will help.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2668
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Maybe these reviews the Bose and other speakers will help.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2668

Thanks very much for this. Just the sort of thing I was looking for. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I have the Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 which I'm very happy with. Good bass, maybe a little lacking in treble at times, but having auditioned a number of units this one had the best sound/price combo for the music we listen to.
  • Options
    pwwpww Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife bought me the Bose for my Nano a couple of weeks ago, the review on the link above isn't too complimentary but I find it awesome, the sound really is fantastic, it has so much depth and clarity. We have a couple of smaller units for the kids' ipods that really don't compare.