Downton Abbey Series Four Thread.

Comments

• ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree. It was extremely well done and opens up a huge range of dramatic possibilities.

I see you got a mention in the show tonight!!

I thought tonight's episode was terrific. It certainly has set out a number of future storylines.

Bates will find out at some point but when and his reaction.

Whether Anna becomes pregnant and who might the father be. No DNA then.

Edna and Tom. I believe her last appearance is next episode but she maybe back in the CS. Maybe she's the one who could be pregnant.

Isobel was excellent. It will be interesting to see how her story goes forward.

Edith and Gregson. From next week's trailer it sounds as though she may be moving in with him.

Mary and Anthony. I don't see him as the one but I do see him as a friend re-opening life for her.

Finally while I was right about the gramophone I was wrong about the music. Didn't think the gramophone would be the sole reason for upset.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you make a good point. It did always used to be the case that the lower classes were more intolerant and narrow minded than the upper classes

And more snobbish in their own way.

Re next week. I think Thomas will send Edna on her way. If Tom decided to leave (and he seemed to be packing in a scene from the series trailer), that would mean Sybbie leaving and I don't think Thomas would want that. Tom and Thomas (!) had a fairly companionable moment of interaction tonight that was there for a reason.

I also think that if Thomas is blackmailing the next lady's maid, he may find out that something is amiss with Anna. But will he find a backstreet abortionist contact to help - or tell Bates out of malice? :confused:
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Mary and Anthony. I don't see him as the one but I do see him as a friend re-opening life for her.

I agree. There was a nice familiarity between them, but not necessarily romantic. However, I'm not a Matthew fan, so I think anyone would be better. I never found Dan Stevens interesting or convincing in the role. At least Tom Cullen is a solid actor.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People critiquing GOT as nerdy and this is a downton thread perhaps should not bring up then.

Different courses for different horses.

GOT is very well written.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Violence happens in real life, though. Downton can't be realistic if it never makes us feel sad, or angry, or scared. People die, crimes happen - there's only so much escapism you can cram into a program and in Downton Abbey there is plenty of that already.

I couldn't agree more. Something like this was needed I think to put a bit of nasty grit in there. There was a warning at the beginning, and it was after 9. I can understand people being disturbed and upset by it (I certainly was) but I can't understand the outrage, and the threats not to watch it again. I apologise if that seems insensitive, it isn't meant to, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It was very well written and acted by all concerned, and I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds. Plus, Joanne Froggatt and Brendan Coyle finally have something to get their acting chops around which doesn't involve passing in corridors stealing kisses, and smiles across rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I bet Joanne Froggat was thrilled to see a really beefy script for her character. She was brilliant. It's the first time something truly shattering has happened to Anna personally.

Yes. Anna finally came into her own for the first time since the 2011 Christmas special. She was superb.
    I see you got a mention in the show tonight!!
    Yes!! I was far too modest to mention it....;)
    I thought tonight's episode was terrific. It certainly has set out a number of future storylines.

Bates will find out at some point but when and his reaction.

Whether Anna becomes pregnant and who might the father be. No DNA then.

Edna and Tom. I believe her last appearance is next episode but she maybe back in the CS. Maybe she's the one who could be pregnant.

Isobel was excellent. It will be interesting to see how her story goes forward.

Edith and Gregson. From next week's trailer it sounds as though she may be moving in with him.

Finally while I was right about the gramophone I was wrong about the music. Didn't think the gramophone would be the sole reason for upset.
    I did think the upset was quite weak. I could imagine her being upset at dancing with a man who wasn't her husband but just because it was Matthew's gramophone?

I loved the little scene between Isobel and Tom at dinner, with Violet watching them.

And I reckon the Duchess of Yeovil has her eye on Tom as a toyboy.....:D
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Dame Kiri was singing 'O mio babbino caro'..(Oh my dear baby') during the rape could be taken as a sign that a pregnancy is inevitable ...or am I crediting Fellowes with more cleverness than he's shown so far in his scripts?.

For those who feel 'outraged' that this isn't what they watch Downtown in their pyjamas for ... May I suggest if you just want to see fabulous wall paper and a nicely turned terrine, there's always Antiques Roadshow on the BBC.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Brilliant episode tonight, across a range of situations and people. Tom I feel for, Lord Grantham was a fool over the cards, etc etc. And Isobel Crawley was fantastic.

But the main event - the rape - was I thought, brilliantly done. We didn't see anything really, but that made it worse in some ways, fearing for poor Anna while the others listened to the music. And the opera, well, that was just great I thought, the emotion of the music heightening the terror of what was happening to Anna :(

Absolutely brilliant. Not pleasant, but brilliant.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    And more snobbish in their own way.

Re next week. I think Thomas will send Edna on her way. If Tom decided to leave (and he seemed to be packing in a scene from the series trailer), that would mean Sybbie leaving and I don't think Thomas would want that. Tom and Thomas (!) had a fairly companionable moment of interaction tonight that was there for a reason.

I also think that if Thomas is blackmailing the next lady's maid, he may find out that something is amiss with Anna. But will he find a backstreet abortionist contact to help - or tell Bates out of malice? :confused:

BIB. Very good point.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may sound insensitive given what happened in tonight's episode but I hope they don't drag it out to long I am not a fan of either Bates or Anna and I can see this being dragged out. So more time with Edith and Gregson please.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So mixed feelings about this episode :( I really am so gutted for Anna.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Just stopped by to say how utterly phenomenal Joanne Frogatt was. It was simply heartbreaking to see such a stable and much loved character fall to pieces like that. Absolutely haunting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Brilliant episode tonight, across a range of situations and people. Tom I feel for, Lord Grantham was a fool over the cards, etc etc. And Isobel Crawley was fantastic.

But the main event - the rape - was I thought, brilliantly done. We didn't see anything really, but that made it worse in some ways, fearing for poor Anna while the others listened to the music. And the opera, well, that was just great I thought, the emotion of the music heightening the terror of what was happening to Anna :(

Absolutely brilliant. Not pleasant, but brilliant.

I agree with all you say and the part in bold is a really interesting point. I think the juxtaposition of storylines in Downton is usually very good but this was exceptional. Not only did the music heighten the emotion, the performance was the reason Green was able to attack Anna - everyone was permitted to go upstairs for once. In a house where one is never alone, there was actually a moment when there was no-one around.
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    Just stopped by to say how utterly phenomenal Joanne Frogatt was. It was simply heartbreaking to see such a stable and much loved character fall to pieces like that. Absolutely haunting.

Couldn't agree more. She was just fabulous.

It was as though Mrs Hughes felt that as well, so had no option but to do as she so desperately requested :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That little moment with Tom and Thomas indicates that Thomas will help get rid of Edna after all he liked Sybil and obviously shows that affection towards baby Sybbie. So he may come to Tom's rescue.;)
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

She really was phenomenal. I've never felt she's properly had a chance to shine on Downton before now. Stunning performance.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really never saw that coming with Anna. I thought Green liked her i never thought he'd do that to her!! She really needs to tell her husband but she is wise to not as we all know what would happen. And my theory she'd cheat with him green has gone. But i reckon hes got her pregnant so she will have to tell bates eventually or will she lie about the father?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That little moment with Tom and Thomas indicates that Thomas will help get rid of Edna after all he liked Sybil and obviously shows that affection towards baby Sybbie. So he may come to Tom's rescue.;)

Yep, I thought that too. Thomas was lurking when Tom spoke to Edna in the preview. Thomas only ever lurks with a purpose...;)

What did you think of Edith and Gregson tonight, Tangled? I thought Robert's attempts to avoid him were very funny. It looks as if things get more serious next week with Edith going all the way, as we used to say..... :eek:
    Forum Member
    I agree with all you say and the part in bold is a really interesting point. I think the juxtaposition of storylines in Downton is usually very good but this was exceptional. Not only did the music heighten the emotion, the performance was the reason Green was able to attack Anna - everyone was permitted to go upstairs for once. In a house where one is never alone, there was actually a moment when there was no-one around.

I agree ^^^^

The fact that she was never alone in the house meant that Anna was just a little off guard as well, as she was in an environment where she was usually absolutely secure and safe. To be raped at all, but more especially in what is effectively both your home and place of work :eek: How dreadful would that be. She has as it were, no place to hide.

As an aside, a further plot juxtaposition was of course the Edna / Tom situation, where she is trying, in a different way, to take advantage of him sexually.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeh Tom - what happened there? :(
  • washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Dame Kiri was singing 'O mio babbino caro'..(Oh my dear baby') .

The character is actually singing to her father ("Oh my dear daddy"), and threatening to chuck herself in the river if daddy doesn't let her marry the man she loves.

Probably a better soundtrack for the Edith storyline...

In all seriousness, however, I thought the juxtaposition of the scenes where the audience was quietly listening to La Melba, and the harrowing scenes downstairs, had great impact.

Joanne Froggatt was superb.

As for the subject matter, rape happens, sadly. And it can happen to anyone. Even in Downton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I thought that too. Thomas was lurking when Tom spoke to Edna in the preview. Thomas only ever lurks with a purpose...;)

What did you think of Edith and Gregson tonight, Tangled? I thought Robert's attempts to avoid him were very funny. It looks as if things get more serious next week with Edith going all the way, as we used to say..... :eek:

Go Edith;) It was good to see Gregson at the house and out smarting Sampson who it was pretty obvious he was up to no good.
    Can't wait for next week with my favourite couple looks good:)
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Dame Kiri was singing 'O mio babbino caro'..(Oh my dear baby') during the rape could be taken as a sign that a pregnancy is inevitable ...or am I crediting Fellowes with more cleverness than he's shown so far in his scripts?.

For those who feel 'outraged' that this isn't what they watch Downtown in their pyjamas for ... May I suggest if you just want to see fabulous wall paper and a nicely turned terrine, there's always Antiques Roadshow on the BBC.

Yes bambino on the way.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're spot on, there. She gave a completely fantastic performance tonight. What an actress.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky7 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Something like this was needed I think to put a bit of nasty grit in there. There was a warning at the beginning, and it was after 9.
    I missed the warning at the beginning but saw it on the EPG and just assumed it was a mistake. I'm thankful they didn't put a warning at the beginning of the final part too as is often the case nowadays - it would have spoiled the storyline completely be effectively pointing it out minutes before it happened, and I hope common sense prevails when OFCOM handles any inevitable complaints.