Researching Family Tree

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello everyone.
I think ive posted in the right place, Sorry if i haven't.

Is/ Has anyone researching/researched their family tree ? Is there a thread anywhere for that type of topic ? I have so far traced back to 1810.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biskit wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Is/ Has anyone researching/researched their family tree ? Is there a thread anywhere for that type of topic ? I have so far traced back to 1810.

I am; no idea if there's a thread for it anywhere, though.

I'm doing both mine and my husband's, and have got back to around 1800 with most branches, with a couple of others going back further (one to 1500 but that was mostly a relative's research).
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just started doing this too and wondered if you could recommend any of the websites. There seem to be loads of pay ones but I don't know which to choose.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollybe wrote: »
    I have just started doing this too and wondered if you could recommend any of the websites. There seem to be loads of pay ones but I don't know which to choose.

I have tried a few but the most success I have had, especially in contacting living relatives of my family tree, is Genes Reunited. Once you start putting your own tree up links are formed with others having the same relatives.

I would recommend it.

To the OP. There used to be a genealogy thread in General Discussion but I haven't seen it in a while. Do a search to see if it is still there.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biskit wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Here it is:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=786261&highlight=family+history+genealogy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good overall site to get you started: Cyndi's List

This is good for census returns and other stuff. It's a pay site and I usually buy a month, then spend a lot of time downloading returns so I get my money's worth: Ancestry

A friendly forum here:B G Forums

:)
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    My mum has managed to go back to my 6th great grandfather born in 1636 by looking at headstones and visiting Register House in Edinburgh (useful if you have Scottish ancestry). Also helps if your surname is not quite so common.

Think the thread nethwen has linked to will offer some useful advice. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much everyone for your help.:D Its lovely that you took the time to reply. I must admit i get a bit despondent on the threads here at times.
    I have managed to find out that some of my ancestors lived in the same road as Jack the Rippers murders & at the same time. oooh how nice :rolleyes: