Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2010 Season: The Verdict (Merged) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »

I was wondering when someone would post one of these.

Rather curious difference in colours.

Would be interested to compare an on-track and on-board shot.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ripples on the guy in the background with the grey shirt show the limitations of the upscaling process.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    The ripples on the guy in the background with the grey shirt show the limitations of the upscaling process.

...but the graphics and the grey hairs on Patrick Head's head show the benefits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea to have the final round of GP2 2 MONTHS after the main part of the season finished outside europe, and with the title already decided. If they desperately needed a support race, shouldn't they have started the Asia series in Abu dhabi? I bet only half the teams bother to turn up.

And to keep this remotely on topic, it doesn't look like the second race will be live.:p

The reason is that GP2 have a contract forcing them to have a race there. Normally as was the case last year they would start GP2 Asia there, but the new 2011 cars won't be ready in time. So they are pretty much forced to just extend the GP2 season.
  • Options
    hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably being a right Dave here, but I ask:

1) Is the Intercontinental Le Mans Series from Zhuhai (Motors TV) the same as the Asian Le Mans Series from Zhuhai (Eurosport)? :confused:
    2) Why is Motors TV's "live, green lights to chequers" coverage of the Intercontinental Le Mans Series being shown delayed? Or have they just put up the wrong caption? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea to have the final round of GP2 2 MONTHS after the main part of the season finished outside europe, and with the title already decided. If they desperately needed a support race, shouldn't they have started the Asia series in Abu dhabi? I bet only half the teams bother to turn up.

And to keep this remotely on topic, it doesn't look like the second race will be live.:p

2 months out of the car... should be carnage then! :D Bring it on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Its the dreaded relentless and highly irritating commentary out of synch issue with the 5 live audio. Its beyond a joke enough is enough, will someone please sort this out?

jb you are an insider at the bbc - have you any idea why after 2 YEARS this is still continuing????

Here is a pre race question.

If you could only change one would it be changing around the BBC commentators like swapping Crofty and Legard and sorting out various techical issues like your sound delay or getting FOM to provide HD and surround sound coverage including onboards and 3D coverage as well. :p The one you don't pick stays the same for next year. :p
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Dare I say this, that was probably one of Legard's best ever commentaries. And I actually felt the excitement from both was genuine rather than the forced excitement we tend to see.

Great commentary, and a fantastic outcome to Qualifying for F1.

It was a really good commentary. The start of the race should be interesting. It would be good if neither does a repeat of Crofty in 2008 at Brazil.
    uk_xtreme wrote: »
    MPEG4 is a far more advanced and efficient codec than MPEG2 so theoretically the picture will be far better than your TV upscaling standard BBC1. Things like panning will be smoother, wide shots will be less grainy, text easier to read etc. Ok so its not native HD but flick between the two on a decent TV and you can see the difference

The comparison shows the MPEG4 upscale does make the SD picture look better but it will never be as good as HD itself.
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a misleading sample. Both are interlaced shots, and it looks like the decoder isn't deinterlacing the 576i shot, whereas it is deinterlacing the 1080i shot. Additionally the SD decoder isn't mapping colour levels correctly, whereas the HD one is. On your TV screens the difference is far closer than those two shots demonstrate.

BBC1 HD with upscaled F1 could look better or worse on your screens, it's entirely dependent on how your TV setup works.

People with Sky HD setups will probably see an improvement watching BBC1 HD. The video processing gear in the Sky boxes is quite weak so letting the BBC do the upscaling will help produce a better picture.

However, if you've got an expensive 1080P TV with Freesat, you will probably find that BBC1 SD looks sharper. This is because there will be fewer conversions in the chain to get it upscaled on your TV:
    BBC1 SD: 576i -Your TV processes-> 1080p
    BBC1 HD: 576i -BBC processes-> 1080i -Your TV processes-> 1080p

My advice is that people try out both, but generally:
    1. If you have an HD set top box from Sky or Virgin, use BBC1 HD
    2. If you have no box and your TV is directly receiving the feed, use BBC1 SD
    3. If you are watching on a PC use BBC1 SD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyk22 wrote: »
    Here is a pre race question.

If you could only change one would it be changing around the BBC commentators like swapping Crofty and Legard and sorting out various techical issues like your sound delay or getting FOM to provide HD and surround sound coverage including onboards and 3D coverage as well. :p The one you don't pick stays the same for next year. :p
    If it was getting Ben in instead of Legard, then I'd pick Ben over HD every time (I used to watch Eurosport to get Ben instead of Murray-Is that heresy?).

However if it's only Crofty in I'd take the HD. I like Crofty during practice and I'd probably prefer him to Legard during the race but given the either/or question... :p
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neken wrote: »
    If it was getting Ben in instead of Legard, then I'd pick Ben over HD every time (I used to watch Eurosport to get Ben instead of Murray-Is that heresy?).

:eek: Ben is awesome, but better than Murray?!

Sorry, we're going to have to burn you now and test if you're a witch. :D
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incast wrote: »
    However, if you've got an expensive 1080P TV with Freesat, you will probably find that BBC1 SD looks sharper. This is because there will be fewer conversions in the chain to get it upscaled on your TV:
    BBC1 SD: 576i -Your TV processes-> 1080p
    BBC1 HD: 576i -BBC processes-> 1080i -Your TV processes-> 1080p

You're missing out the massive loss of quality that happens when the picture is transmitted - generally if the processing happens before this, then the resulting image will be better than afterwards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incast wrote: »
    :eek: Ben is awesome, but better than Murray?!
    I thought so to be honest. All the enthusiasm but much less error prone.

Don't get me wrong, Murray was ace and obviously both he and Ben are leagues ahead of anyone who has followed them.
  • Options
    gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching the MotoGP on HD? I'm watching on SD and can see the difference between Pedrosa's onboard (apparently HD) and the other onboards, what's the difference like on HD?
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    :)Hi
    Can anyone summarise F1 on Virgin ?
    ie pic quality, IPlayer (spose Practice 3 is missing.... why is that BBC?) on board, driver tracker? Are they all there for every race? I'm comparing to Freeview and considering Virgin's upcoming TIVO box. What's the upscaled coverage like compared to Freeview. Sorry if these q's been asked before - Im usualy to be found amongst the TV forums... Thanks
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Virgin they don't have anything on the iPlayer apart from the BBC3 Highlights, annoyingly. I believe they have the onboards and the driver tracker (personally I never use them though so I may be wrong), they certainly have the 5Live commentary option.
  • Options
    aseidelaseidel Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Race of Champions this year on german Sky.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Interesting we loose a bit of the picture. I noticed this on the onboard where the car wasn't moving in frame, on BBC1 we saw more of the car than the HD channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was going to post a compare of the MotoGP (BBC TWO SD vs BBC HD) but I cannot get a screenshot of the HD file for some odd reason. Sorry.

Is the football overrunning? I though the coverage started 15:00 ?

Alt Comms placemarker on Stream 0
    Highlights placemarker on Stream 4
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davepusey wrote: »
    I was going to post a compare of the MotoGP (BBC TWO SD vs BBC HD) but I cannot get a screenshot of the HD file for some odd reason. Sorry.

Is the football overrunning? I though the coverage started 15:00 ?

Alt Comms placemarker on Stream 0
    Highlights placemarker on Stream 4

Coverage starts at 15:10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coverage starts at 15:10.

Ah yes thanks.

I was looked at Saturday for some reason. D'oh!
  • Options
    Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHat is the diffrence between the main coverage on BBC1 and the same 'feed' on BBC Red Button? Is there less bitrate on the 'button or lower resolution?

Just wondering
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Something I noticed yesterday & again today is that BBC One HD is about 2-3 seconds behind the SD channel & I guess also the interactive feeds.

BTW other than Button's attempted carjacking, some Sauber mechanics were succesfully mugged as were some FOM staff earlier in the week.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie's boycotted the poppy for the 2nd year running... didn't he wear one yesterday though?
  • Options
    GarstyGarsty Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Eddie's boycotted the poppy for the 2nd year running... didn't he wear one yesterday though?
    Yes he did, it was just under his jacket collar.

Also, a new graphic for the top 5 in the championship just then
This discussion has been closed.