Why do British people sing with American accents?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does it just happen?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Because it's easier to imitate than be innovative or creative.

Some UK accents lend themselves easier to US accents, in the way certain words are pronounced. But, when you see southern folk, particularly Londoners, whether or not it's a genuine London accent or the put-on 'urban youth' nonsense, people pronounce the word 'laugh' like "laaarf" and 'last' like "laaarst". The amount of times I cringe when At Last is covered, by Etta James. Awful. Too many of these kids attempt to sound like they've been in Gospel choirs, yet if you sat 'em down with a Bible and stuck a doolally preacher infront of them, they'd run a mile.

It's just tarted-up Karaoke. The producers don't want these kids to sound TOO unique, if unique at all. They want a marker they can link the acts to, to market similarly, to appeal to existing fans of the alleged influence.

I just watch it and laugh/cringe/despair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lead singer in GMD3(?) is terrible for this. Sounds like he should be singing in a Disney musical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    Because it is normal to sing in American accents wherever you come from.

It sounds truly dreadful when people sing in English accents as it is too harsh on the words....and sounds fake!:)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,789
    Forum Member
    Judo wrote: »
    Only if you're a puppet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Only if you're a puppet.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean 'Muppet' such as Kermit & Co they sing with wonderful American accents.

I sing with an American accent and don't think anything of it...it fact I don't notice it...I only notice when people sing with English accents because it sounds so silly!!! :eek:
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,789
    Forum Member
    Did you mean 'Muppet' such as Kermit & Co they sing with wonderful American accents.

I sing with an American accent and don't think anything of it...it fact I don't notice it...I only notice when people sing with English accents because it sounds so silly!!! :eek:

No, puppet. With no originality as they've just decided to copy.

Adele and Emile Sande sound silly? Yeah.. ok.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just watch it and laugh/cringe/despair.

That about covers it for me. There's something bloodless and detached when anyone sings in an accent that isn't the one with which they live their lives. In a word, fake. Downright laughable when Carolynne, for instance, switches from speaking to singing, but there's a palpable hollowness to the singing voice whether or not I've any foreknowledge of where someone's from or how they sound when they speak.

Plainly, though, it doesn't affect everyone that way.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofialady wrote: »
    Does it just happen?

i think it does...!!

most people are bombarded with american pop culture from a young age it's close to being second nature as their own speaking accents...

so when they get into the zone when singing, strange as it may sound, it might just be as natural for them... coz that's how their "musical heroes and influences" sounded like...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofialady wrote: »
    Does it just happen?

If all you're doing is trying to imitate something you've heard, yes. So long as it's American :)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they don't
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness, it's rare that a person sings with their real accent, talent show or not. It even goes beyond pop music; a lot of trained singers use an RP accent when they sing irrespective of whether or not they use it when they speak. There's always some sort of affectation there.

My issue is when the affectation sounds far to self-conscious and forced. Like Janet Devlin for example. With other people I just take it that they've been singing the way they do for years so it's second nature to them, but with Janet and others it sounded like every syllable was calculated.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the American vowel sounds are easier on the ear in my view, British singing accents only suit a certain type of singer, but for most singers the 'American' singing voice sounds less forced...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    It's not an American accent.

When people sing with an American accent it sounds like one of those horrible UK pop punk bands.

You're just referring to people not singing with a fake over-exaggerated British accent arent you? Lucy Spraggan fan on the offence.

Newsflash: that's not singing it's talking.

Singing involved drawing out your words in a melodic fashion.
  • TeekyPieTeekyPie Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It sounds truly dreadful when people sing in English accents as it is too harsh on the words....and sounds fake!:)

I don't think this is strictly true. Think of Sophie Ellis Bexter, The Cure, White Lies (relatively new band you might not know) that kind of 80's english sound... quite soft and lovely... but I understand it would be impossible to sing At Last with an english accent, then again that's because it was written with an american singer in mind
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of times I cringe when At Last is covered, by Etta James. Awful. Too many of these kids attempt to sound like they've been in Gospel choirs, yet if you sat 'em down with a Bible and stuck a doolally preacher infront of them, they'd run a mile.

"ehhhhhhht lehhhhhst" is quite a good example.

In Jahmene's case, he probably has been in Gospel choirs.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you rather have 12 Lucy Spraggans in the final? Ha ha! I know next to nothing about the technicalities of singing but I think it might be easier on the lungs etc to produce the American-sounding accent.
    WoahOh wrote: »
    In Jahmene's case, he probably has been in Gospel choirs.

Yes, something like that. No one can just sing like that without regular practice. I'm not saying that I don't believe he really is nervous and shy but I can't imagine that he is just some supermarket worker who sings around the house and has never performed before.
  • kaceyykaceyy Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was thinking about this, generally speaking i can see why most singers naturally sing with the american accent aside from just being easier to emulate than be innovative, its also easier to sell in the states if the accent is one they understand, iv'e heard it said before for some of the best uk rappers in this country, that the uk accent is what puts americans off. I did however just remember Maverick Sabre, now theres a real mystery.
  • darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    cultural colonisation ...just saying..
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because it's a lot easier to sing in an American and sometimes you get a bit lost in it. A lot of singers don't always have the best pronounciation so it begins to sound like it is in another accent. Alot of them, If they have a musical theatre background can fall into this sometimes.
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Johnny Rotten didn't :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they don't

Carolynn does, she sounds like an American country singer.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because it's a lot easier to sing in an American. A lot of singers don't always have the best pronounciation so it begins to sound like it is in another accent. Alot of them, If they have a musical theatre background can fall into this sometimes.

I tend to think it's pronounciation related too .The British pronounctation seems to seperate words more quickly, whereas the American accent seems to hang on more (I know am explaining this horribly I know).

I think the holding on of words in the American accent translates more easily to singing because singing itself, unless rappining which is talking, tends to be a string of word holds (again explainingg this horribly I know).

I have standard English accent (not posh, not noteably regional) but find it much easier to sing in an Americaan accent because then I don't have to pronoucne the individual words properly (like when speaking in normal accent). I don't think the English accent flows well with music on the whole so can see why singing in the slurred way (that prob isn't the right description I know) is easier.

I understand there is an element of imitation too, especially when Europeans in the Eurovision song contest can sound weirdly American even when their language is as staccato as something Danish or Swedish.

Maybe there is the scientific argument that the tongue and mouth work more simiilalry in general shared experience when singing than when speaking, hence maybe why speaking accents are more different becuase the tongue and mouth are more different but singing accents more similar (maybe by coincidence American sounding even if not being american in definite). This could be so off though, it's just pointless speculation, lol.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cm1992 wrote: »
    The lead singer in GMD3(?) is terrible for this. Sounds like he should be singing in a Disney musical.

It's terrible isn't it. He's got such a punchable face too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeekyPie wrote: »
    I don't think this is strictly true. Think of Sophie Ellis Bexter, The Cure, White Lies (relatively new band you might not know) that kind of 80's english sound... quite soft and lovely... but I understand it would be impossible to sing At Last with an english accent, then again that's because it was written with an american singer in mind

I doubt there's any song that's unsingable without adopting an accent not one's own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgPgEurtoo