Now TV Entertainment Launched

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    passingbat wrote: »
    It is sadly lacking in my view at the moment.

Many Sky Atlantic shows are missing and the ones that are there, only have current seasons. Who wants to start a show at season two, or in the case of Boardwalk Empire, season four?

And where are shows like Game of Thrones, The Following and The Borgias etc.?

Maybe they intend to add them later? But I so, why launch as service with half cocked content, when we've been waiting so long or it to launch anyway?

During the trial, all the Boardwalk Empires were on there.

I would have subscribed if i could have caught up on them seeing as i've never seen it but not worth it from S4.

The trick they're also missing is making BBC1 - Channel 5 available. Sure it might need some negotiation but many people probably have spare tvs with strongs wifi signals than Freeview ones.

Add value to a chargeable deal and people will snap it up.
  • Options
    ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    passingbat wrote: »
    The shows currently on offer that I am interested in Veep, The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire are of little use without the previous seasons being available. Netflix, who Sky obliquely referenced in their press release, at least have previous seasons of shows they have on offer.

As said above, during the trial they had previous seasons. I managed to get up to Season 1 Ep 7 of Boardwalk Empire before the trial ended, so I'm quite annoyed that the rest of the season is not there at the moment!

The other thing that annoyed me was that the catch-up service was a 'rolling' one, in that only the last few episodes were available rather than right back to the start of the season.

In saying all that, The Walking Dead will have 16 episodes this season. That's 4 months at £4.99 = £20. Blinkbox has full series selling for £18-£28 (depending on number of eps or SD/HD). It's a comparable price (just now) without having to wait the 6 months for the streaming rights to appear.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said above, during the trial they had previous seasons. I managed to get up to Season 1 Ep 7 of Boardwalk Empire before the trial ended, so I'm quite annoyed that the rest of the season is not there at the moment!

The other thing that annoyed me was that the catch-up service was a 'rolling' one, in that only the last few episodes were available rather than right back to the start of the season.

In saying all that, The Walking Dead will have 16 episodes this season. That's 4 months at £4.99 = £20. Blinkbox has full series selling for £18-£28 (depending on number of eps or SD/HD). It's a comparable price (just now) without having to wait the 6 months for the streaming rights to appear.
    Annoying isn't it , however this is down to content rights which need changing and changing quickly to allow more flexibility to us the viewers.
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoying isn't it , however this is down to content rights which need changing and changing quickly to allow more flexibility to us the viewers.

Jesus you are only paying £4.99 per month what do you really expect? The same service as me? Who is paying £70 per month ?? Come on
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a Sky subscriber,but also have a Now TV,box,got it mainly because it was cheap,and for the free content,like the iPlayer,and the TWIT network,among other things.
    Is the Sky content on the Now TV box,streamed in HD,even if it is 720p,or is it just SD?.
    No point in me paying to find out as I am with Sky anyway.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus you are only paying £4.99 per month what do you really expect? The same service as me? Who is paying £70 per month ?? Come on

The catch up service is basically the same as that on the Sky satellite service just with fewer channels , the expiration of earlier episodes as new ones are added happens via Sky On Demand also , content rights need to be updated allowing the paying viewer more flexibility and that counts for all services. For the record my services are with Sky satellite. ;)
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are getting more channels, HD, the ability to record and other functionality.

But yeh; I think with the increasing number of on line options, at very good prices, we will all start to look at whether the traditional 'box' from a a pay TV provider, be it Sky or Virgin Media, is the best option.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, hopefully the competition from BT, TalkTalk and others will help to keep the price of the Now TV Entertainment pass down.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well if you want to pay £70 a month for trash then that is up to you.
  • Options
    mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom558 wrote: »
    I am a Sky subscriber,but also have a Now TV,box,got it mainly because it was cheap,and for the free content,like the iPlayer,and the TWIT network,among other things.
    Is the Sky content on the Now TV box,streamed in HD,even if it is 720p,or is it just SD?.
    No point in me paying to find out as I am with Sky anyway.

I also subscribe to sky entertainment + and bought the NOWTV box to try out. I was so impressed with it that I upgraded to a Roku XS and subscribe to Now Tv films which are probably 720 but definatley better than SD, this works out cheaper than having the film channel on sky although obviously you cannot record and I am impressed with the picture quality, I have my device set for 1080p and an ethernet connection, as I watch Netflix also.

marina
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mastanlem wrote: »
    I also subscribe to sky entertainment + and bought the NOWTV box to try out. I was so impressed with it that I upgraded to a Roku XS and subscribe to Now Tv films which are probably 720 but definatley better than SD, this works out cheaper than having the film channel on sky although obviously you cannot record and I am impressed with the picture quality, I have my device set for 1080p and an ethernet connection, as I watch Netflix also.

marina

OK thanks for that,I have to say the 720p HD,'other content' via the Now box, looks good to me,so if the Sky content matches that,great. :)
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Still some issues / delays with the On Demand offering. The Walking Dead is still showing only Episode 1 of Series 4 despite Fox being on at least Episode 3. Dracula is on demand on Sky Go, but not on Now TV.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Still some issues / delays with the On Demand offering. The Walking Dead is still showing only Episode 1 of Series 4 despite Fox being on at least Episode 3. Dracula is on demand on Sky Go, but not on Now TV.

Only two episodes of The Walking Dead have been on Fox.
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

Plex presents your downloaded programmes in a very pleasant 'Box Set' manner if you name your downloads correclty and know where to find them.....
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

Ah ok, I misread the listings. As it is, Now TV have announced there was a technical fault which has prevented on demand being updated. They're now catching up with past episodes.
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well if you want to pay £70 a month for trash then that is up to you.

Well I can afford it, so why not. I don't smoke or gamble. I disagree that's it trash as you call it. HD Sky sports, movies and HBO programming is hardly that?

By the way netfliks as spelt in your bio is actually spelt Netflix.
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

marina

When you have the content available on demand, why would you ever want to record?

I can honestly say I don't need to own music, television shows or movies. This has only been necessary from a technological point of view in the past.

I look forward to the day I can access all my content from any device in any location. It isn't far away. We have the core hardware, software and infrastructure now - we're just waiting for the market to mature and legal agreements to be brought into the 21st Century.
  • Options
    mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    When you have the content available on demand, why would you ever want to record?

I can honestly say I don't need to own music, television shows or movies. This has only been necessary from a technological point of view in the past.

I look forward to the day I can access all my content from any device in any location. It isn't far away. We have the core hardware, software and infrastructure now - we're just waiting for the market to mature and legal agreements to be brought into the 21st Century.

Not all of the programmes on the entertainment live section would be available as catchup so I would imagine a lot of people would appreciate a recording feature.

Marina
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all of the programmes on the entertainment live section would be available as catchup so I would imagine a lot of people would appreciate a recording feature.

Marina

Then you need a PVR. This is a different type of device and service.

As i've said, I'm hopeful we can get high quality unified devices soon.

I'm tempted to get a Raspberry PI and set it up to make the following available on our bedroom TV:

Virgin Media TV Anywhere (Live and On Demand Content).
    TV Catchup
    Now TV
    Netflix
    Local media files (video and music content)
    BBC iPlayer
    4oD
    5 On Demand
    (not fussed about ITV Player)

We have access to all these things but over different devices. If someone won't sell me something which does all of these in one, I'll have to create my own.

Still won't need to record though, that is plenty of content!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

Its all very well but what if the content provider decides to take away its content,from the streaming provider,even stuff your paid to 'own' and watch anytime?
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/24/apple-pulls-some-disney-and-pixar-titles-from-itunes-store-and-itunes-in-the-cloud/