Options

An accounting question!

alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi - any accountants out there?
I live in a flat - we own the freehold - all having one share in the ltd company.
In our accounts at the end of the year the freehold is shown as a tangible asset which I totally understand - but also as a loan? Thats the bit I don't understand - non of the flat owners have taken a loan out against the freehold.
Not sure any of us understand why this is - can phone the accountants tomorrow but thought someone out there would know?

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these the accounts for the limited company? Did the company buy the freehold outright with cash or did it borrow money to do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello - yes ltd company - and yes the freehold was bought outright some time ago I believe.
    Thanks for replying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And sorry - yes with cash - no loan or mortgage taken.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the freehold asset is a debit, and the 'loan' is a credit of exactly the same value?

When you acquired the freehold was it through the company, or did the residents acquire it individually?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello - yes shown as an asset and a loan - same value so effectively cancel each other out.
    Not too sure of how it was bought - before my time - but think it was by the ltd company that was set up by the residents to run the building - who are the five flat owners who all own one share in the company - if someone sells up then the share has to be transferred to the new flat owner.
    Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the numbers and accounts it is hard to say.
    For example, you say you bought after the company was formed, and you are not sure how it was purchased originally.
    Perhaps the 'loan' is just the indebtness to each shareholder.
    There may also be some information in the legal paperwork you have from when you purchased the flat and freehold share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think it has to be shown as its something that all the shareholders own and the shares have no value.
    Have spent ages googling but can't find anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this helpful? Its noted as 'shareholder loan account'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Perhaps the 'loan' is just the indebtness to each shareholder.
    i would imagine that is almost certainly the answer, the leaseholders bought the freehold and transferred it to the company without consideration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to ask - but can you just explain - without consideration? I presume it means its just to make the balance sheet add up? Is that right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assets have to equal liabilities, profit and loss and equities.
    From what you describe it sounds like the asset is the freehold and the equity is the indebtedness the company has to each shareholder. I'm guessing the purchase price reflected the fact the freehold is owned by the flat owners.
    A call to the accountant should clear it up, so hopefully the replies so far will assist in understanding their answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to ask - but can you just explain - without consideration? I presume it means its just to make the balance sheet add up? Is that right?
    They weren't inconsiderate just a term to say no money changed hands, and yes for every debit there needs to be a credit!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that each share is in effect a loan to the company which has to be paid back from the company to the householder when they sell their flat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Could it be that each share is in effect a loan to the company which has to be paid back from the company to the householder when they sell their flat
    That appears to be the case.
    The company gets the money from the new owner and passes it to the old owner, as the company itself has no cash.
    At least that makes sense to me, although only the company accountant can confirm this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both so much - my A Level Accounts is very rusty - but that makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    That appears to be the case.
    The company gets the money from the new owner and passes it to the old owner, as the company itself has no cash.
    At least that makes sense to me, although only the company accountant can confirm this.
    It's usual that any sum paid for this kind of thing is a token £1. The leasehold will be sold with the mandatory transfer of the seller's share or shares in the management company to the new leaseholder, the value of the freehold share through the share in the management company will simply be reflected in the price paid for the leasehold interest.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Thank you both so much - my A Level Accounts is very rusty - but that makes perfect sense.

Is there any 'equity' in the accounts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is called up share capital - which is 5 shares at £1.
    And actually the shareholder loan account is 116,825 not 11630 which makes sense as the shares are £5 which when added to the credit sum of 116,825 makes the sum of 116,830 which is the tangible asset.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    There is called up share capital - which is 5 shares at £1.
    And actually the shareholder loan account is 116,825 not 11630 which makes sense as the shares are £5 which when added to the credit sum of 116,825 makes the sum of 116,830 which is the tangible asset.

As an accountant and a previous freehold/leasehold owner, I would not have done the accounts for the freehold in that way.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest. If the flat owners (freehold owners, or just long lease) together own the freehold, then who arranged for the preparation of these accounts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to send all our accounts to an accountant to verify - as far as I can see the freehold has always been shown this way.
    We have a company secretary who runs the bank account and sends off all the figures.