Options

freemake question

emailsemails Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
is there any key reason for why could make freemake not work properly?
i have done a few burns off it til now but just recently its had problems with converting video files ,freezing & craching ,i wan't to try prevent this can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be anything.

Could be the source file - may be corrupt.
    Could be an invalid or outdated codec (pack).
    May be related to other installed software, drivers etc.
    Might be hardware related or a resource problem.

You'll need to give us a bit more info, if it's just 'freezing' (locking the computer) you should start at the bottom of the list and work up. Otherwise, more info on spec and specific error messages will be needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Could be anything.

Could be the source file - may be corrupt.
    Could be an invalid or outdated codec (pack).
    May be related to other installed software, drivers etc.
    Might be hardware related or a resource problem.

You'll need to give us a bit more info, if it's just 'freezing' (locking the computer) you should start at the bottom of the list and work up. Otherwise, more info on spec and specific error messages will be needed.

well its just crashed again i have tryed uninstalling freemake & reinstalling it ,but thats not worked. its tryed to convert upto around 6% total then crashed. i may look at the other alternatives you mentioned. but just to brush up what is a source file? ,codec i may reinstall this? other software/drivers i am not sure about ,but i will try anything that works
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    well its just crashed again i have tryed uninstalling freemake & reinstalling it ,but thats not worked. its tryed to convert upto around 6% total then crashed. i may look at the other alternatives you mentioned. but just to brush up what is a source file? ,codec i may reinstall this? other software/drivers i am not sure about ,but i will try anything that works

A source file is the file that you're encoding from. For example, a DVD file is a source file if you're encoding from it. Have you tried using HandBrake? Unless, of course, you're wanting to use XviD or use the avi extension.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    I had similar sounding issues with Freemake last year - here is my thread - it would randomly crash or shut down during the conversion process. I never did get to the cause of the problem.

However, I've built a new machine earlier this month but I've not yet got round to attempting to create any discs yet. If I get time, I'll come back to this thread to update on any findings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, how much RAM do you have?

I use Freemake, but never to actually burn discs. I have 8GB RAM. I also use it to reencode .m2ts to .mp4 and YouTube to iPod.

I may have used it for YouTube to DVD (a very short video clip) but the file was only minutes long. Even then I think I would have burned to an ISO and used ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP to actually burn a disc.

I've also used it to rip Audio from YouTube (to .mp3) and it's worked fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    So, how much RAM do you have?

I use Freemake, but never to actually burn discs. I have 8GB RAM. I also use it to reencode .m2ts to .mp4 and YouTube to iPod.

I may have used it for YouTube to DVD (a very short video clip) but the file was only minutes long. Even then I think I would have burned to an ISO and used ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP to actually burn a disc.

I've also used it to rip Audio from YouTube (to .mp3) and it's worked fine.

ok this is what i got using windows vista,with 2.00gb ram,on a 32bit OS. freemake has been generally ok till now ,the videos i am doing is top of the pops largly clips 2/3 mins longs & they have been largly ok,i am converting from youtube to dvd & burning ,but the current videos are causing a problems if it is them?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the source has not been encoded correctly.

Have you got the most up to date version of freemake ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I'm guessing the source has not been encoded correctly.

Have you got the most up to date version of freemake ?

i would hope so i took out the current freemaker & put a new one in ,no difference. my video files can be changed no problem, or i can changed the netframe its using
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could be youtube, they can change what they want so long as it plays in a web browser they won't care what troubles you have as you're depriving them of advertiser hits so it'll be up to freemake to work out whats changed and work around it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BSOD occured when friends PC was overclocked.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would hope so i took out the current freemaker & put a new one in ,no difference. my video files can be changed no problem, or i can changed the netframe its using

if your old videos are still converting fine then the problem is almost certainly youtube messing with the videos again. They do this quite often to mess up downloaders (as it effects their advertising income). Hopefully freemake may have a fix soon.

BTW, just did a download with video download and then converted it with video converter no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    if your old videos are still converting fine then the problem is almost certainly youtube messing with the videos again. They do this quite often to mess up downloaders (as it effects their advertising income). Hopefully freemake may have a fix soon.

BTW, just did a download with video download and then converted it with video converter no problem.

ok thanks for that
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cor blimey Stan that geezer's nickin' our 'On the Buses' video's orf YouTube again!
    Using Free sumfink or other!
    Bleedin' liberty ain't it!
    Look at that bird's knockers!
    Mum - what's for tea?
    Is it crumpet?
    etc
    etc
    etc
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BSOD occured when friends PC was overclocked.

Your friend's PC was probably overclocked too much. I've had this in the past when I've overclocked the processor just a little too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, new PC and latest version of Freemake (4.1.4.1) and still getting crashing issues.

Now running an i7 with 4GB RAM on an Asus motherboard under Win 8.1 and tried to create a music DVD as per my original thread linked to in post #5. And as per previous experience, it crashed during the burn process essentially locking the whole machine - DVD read/write light was flashing away but I couldn't eject the disk and had to reboot the PC in the end. I've now got another coaster as the disc was only partially written to.

However, as the conversion process had completed successfully, I started Freemake again and chose to create an ISO file instead of writing directly to disc and used ImgBurn to create the actual DVD. And that worked fine.

Shame really, I quite like Freemake for it's video editing and conversion features, it's just a pity it seems to be so unstable.
  • Options
    robert aldisrobert aldis Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I had same problem, went to filehippo.com and downloaded an old version (3.2.1.0). All is ok now. Hope this works for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the issues now is i have had difficulty downloading videos using the video downloader. i have now dicided to UN-install everything ,that is net frame & the 2 freemake downloader & video convter .i have re-installed a fresh net frame 4.5 but i cannot seem to be able to open up the freemake tools to install on pc. i have windows vista running on my system . is there anything i should be doing?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why uninstall .net frameworks? if you've reinstalled it make sure to check for updates and install them

by now you should know that places like youtube change stuff behind the scenes regularly and they don't send out warnings to these sort of companies to let them know to change their software as it impacts on their advertising revenue so if it suddenly doesn't work give the dev's chance to see whats been changed and do a fix
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't really have revived this old thread. It's a youtube ripper that's not working, nothing to do with Freemake.

The ones I use use Java - horrible really, but I know the risks.

Freemake works well, but once it is working, don't update it until it won't do something, newer ones are worse IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do i go about changing you tube ripper ? or anything to do with getting the freemake to open & install
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do i go about changing you tube ripper ? or anything to do with getting the freemake to open & install

can anyone help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is youtube ripper & how do i fix it?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could give Any Video Convertor a go http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ if you're having problems with Freemake, as also converts to Youtube, just untick the Linksy thing thats recommended during the install (by doing a custom).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Could give Any Video Convertor a go http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ if you're having problems with Freemake, as also converts to Youtube, just untick the Linksy thing thats recommended during the install (by doing a custom).

having the same issues here as with freemake i can download it but it wont open
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then maybe freemake isn't the problem. What format you downloading it to, how are you trying to play it back and what happens when you try and play it back?