dvd recorder/player issues

emailsemails Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
why is it when i try to record somthing onto a vertibam dvd from an lg dvd recorder i get this bloody error message cannot play back due to disc error , then unknown disc please try again. most of the time thank fully its ok ,but then you get one that just don't want to play ball . whats the hell is going on? just been trying to put totps on to disc ,& blow me it does just that , which means i have to go back & do it all again . is there any magic formula out there i can use to stop this? thanks

Comments

• webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try a different disk manufacturer - Taiyo Yuden are probably the best - JVC disks are Taiyo Yuden disks if you are buying from a shop otherwise buy online at somewhere like svp.co.uk. Just get 10 or 25 at first to make sure that you're happy with them before buying a load though!
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if using DVD+R try DVD-R - if DVD-R try DVD+R. Try with rewriteables if currenty using write once - if using rewriteables try using a write once. If recording in VR mode, try in Video mode. If recording in Video mode, try in VR mode. Try different recording qualities too - usually archiving to disc in the same method you archived to hard drive (so Fast Write) works better than having the DVDR recode the recording from hard drive to get it to disc.

And see what happens if you don't completely fill the disc. I used to be able to fit 2 hours 10 minutes of material in SP mode onto a blank disc - now I try to limit it to no more than 2 hours 2 minutes - that final 8 minutes (which is being written to either the very inner or very outer edge, I forget which) seems to tip it over the edge and render the disc unusable.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice thought on all this but i have very little paitence with all this . however i do not mind if it helps stop the problem.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing. The laser in the recorder could be dirty. It doesn't take much to disrupt the laser output in a DVD burner. I've opened up optical devices (CD, DVD players) that have been having trouble playing disks and the lasers have appeared pristine. But a gentle wipe with a lightly dampened cotton bud and they spring back into life again. So doesn't have to have great gobs of gunge stuck to the laser to start playing silly b's.

Ideally you would take the machine apart to get up close and personal with the laser but a cleaning disk could well do the job just as well. Laser output will degrade over time as well, especially if you use it a lot so any gunge on the lens will have more effect as the laser ages.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Another thing. The laser in the recorder could be dirty. It doesn't take much to disrupt the laser output in a DVD burner. I've opened up optical devices (CD, DVD players) that have been having trouble playing disks and the lasers have appeared pristine. But a gentle wipe with a lightly dampened cotton bud and they spring back into life again. So doesn't have to have great gobs of gunge stuck to the laser to start playing silly b's.

Ideally you would take the machine apart to get up close and personal with the laser but a cleaning disk could well do the job just as well. Laser output will degrade over time as well, especially if you use it a lot so any gunge on the lens will have more effect as the laser ages.

yer i'll buy that though not too comfortable with the idea of pulling the machine apart for fear of doing more damage. i do have a disc cleaner which can be used & has been in the past . will give it a go. but any more good ideas will be great:)