Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Not just a good day for India but a great recovery by South Africa. Odd looking Windies team, no idea of the selection, no sign of Chris Gayle, is he out of it as far as Tests are concerned

Quite extraordinary that Shiv Chanderpaul is still playing 20 years after his debut. must be some sort of record. I know Wilfred Rhodes had a 32 year span , but there cannot have been a recent player with such a record
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,683
    Forum Member
    Cooke seems to be offering the selectors the easy way out to replace him. Lets hope they take it.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    South Africa are the best team in the world by a mile.
    The two test matches were so similar today, Rumers of a very green deck which didn't really exist. Only difference one side batted and one bowled and the temperature.
    If the people on twitter were the doing the toss India would have done the nasser 90 times out of 100.

Can india do the double and be the only subcontinent side to win at the Gabba and perth.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Not just a good day for India but a great recovery by South Africa. Odd looking Windies team, no idea of the selection, no sign of Chris Gayle, is he out of it as far as Tests are concerned

Quite extraordinary that Shiv Chanderpaul is still playing 20 years after his debut. must be some sort of record. I know Wilfred Rhodes had a 32 year span , but there cannot have been a recent player with such a record

Tendulkar debuted in 1989 and only retired in 2013.

IIRC, Chanderpaul made his debut in the same match when Lara scored the 375* against England.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 17,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exciting finish in the NZ/Pakistan ODI

Boom Boom just hit 49 off 25 balls and Younus is 100*

Pakistan need 60 off 40 deliveries at 240/6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AZ fan wrote: »

IIRC, Chanderpaul made his debut in the same match when Lara scored the 375* against England.

Indeed , how could I forget about Tendulkar. I suppose some of the pre war England players like Hutton and Compton had very long careers, and Derek Underwood must have been going on 20 years when he reired
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hutton and Compton along with others of their era lost many of their prime playing years to the war.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decisions on venues for upcoming series/matches announced

Scary to think how near to 2019 we are:o

Warwickshire and Lancashire are the big winners from the latest allocation of major matches with both counties allocated an Ashes Test in 2019. Both grounds have also been recommended to host a World Cup semi-final.

Edgbaston and Old Trafford have improved significantly in recent seasons following major investment, with Warwickshire's work recognised at the Business of Cricket Awards recently.

They and Lancashire and will now host Australia in five years' time. The Oval and Headingley were already guaranteed Ashes Tests for 2019 under a long-term staging agreement.

Of the six traditional Test grounds, Trent Bridge is the venue to miss out on an Ashes Test but will host Tests against South Africa in 2017 and India in 2018 and five World Cup matches. Twenty20 Finals Day will also return to Nottinghamshire in 2019.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/811315.html
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,309
    Forum Member
    I was going to say that "Marnus Labuschagne" sounds South African. Lo and behold...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Hutton and Compton along with others of their era lost many of their prime playing years to the war.

They were both outstanding even after losing all those years to the war, Alec Bedser lost out big time as well. Didn't Pat Pocock have a huge gap in his England career, starting in 67 and then being recalled years later when he was 40.
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Decisions on venues for upcoming series/matches announced

Scary to think how near to 2019 we are:o

Warwickshire and Lancashire are the big winners from the latest allocation of major matches with both counties allocated an Ashes Test in 2019. Both grounds have also been recommended to host a World Cup semi-final.

Edgbaston and Old Trafford have improved significantly in recent seasons following major investment, with Warwickshire's work recognised at the Business of Cricket Awards recently.

They and Lancashire and will now host Australia in five years' time. The Oval and Headingley were already guaranteed Ashes Tests for 2019 under a long-term staging agreement.

Of the six traditional Test grounds, Trent Bridge is the venue to miss out on an Ashes Test but will host Tests against South Africa in 2017 and India in 2018 and five World Cup matches. Twenty20 Finals Day will also return to Nottinghamshire in 2019.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/811315.html

Notts were due to miss out at some stage but they have got some good games there
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

I think Afridi has been a round quite a while as well. Just checked cricinfo, he made his debut in 96.
  • Options
    VillaVilla Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chanderpaul debuted in Guyana and both of Lara's WR's were at St Johns in Antigua.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He did, however. start when he was 17.

Wilfred Rhodes test career was 32 years long
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I think Afridi has been a round quite a while as well. Just checked cricinfo, he made his debut in 96.

He was picked as a leg spinner. I remember watching the video of his 37-ball ton and his age was given as 21 but his official D.O.B is from 1980. OT but I heard the other day he has now conceded more runs in ODIs than any other bowler.

Steve Smith is on course for another big score. I am delighted for him. He came over here last summer with the A team and made an superb ton in difficult conditions with the ball moving around appreciably and with the top order in trouble. I hope he kicks on tomorrow.

Another question: who are your favourite cricket writers? I like George Dobell and though I used to dismiss him as a joker, Jarrod Kimber has really come into his own. Mike Selvey and Vic Marks tend to go down well too with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What time do they play to announce the result of the selectors meeting tomorrow? If there is a delay can we assume Cook's role is really in the balance?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What time do they play to announce the result of the selectors meeting tomorrow? If there is a delay can we assume Cook's role is really in the balance?

sunday or Monday
  • Options
    Forum Member

Another question: who are your favourite cricket writers? I like George Dobell and though I used to dismiss him as a joker, Jarrod Kimber has really come into his own. Mike Selvey and Vic Marks tend to go down well too with me.

For me George Dobell and David hopp although mainly because they follow me on twitter and one of them went to the same uni as me and they write some good stuff.

Saying that Scyld berry isn't a bad writer he writes some very good articles especially on outside ECB/England things but can writes some bad articles when concerning England or ECB, although he does write some good articles on grass root cricket/under 19 cricket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has his knockers but it's nice to hear the voice of Henry Blofeld on Fairfax Radio Network's cricket commentary of the Australia v India series. Speaking of which, is Mitchell Starc really among the very best fast bowlers in the country? His test record is nothing special and he looked ordinary yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on India don't blow this test match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For F Sake india gonna get thrash here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How the **** did india lose that session.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnson out for 88. 7th Wicket partnership record broken.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smith gone for 133.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unusual stat from the Aus/India game

Both side batted for 109.4 overs in their first innings:o

India made 408 and Australia 505 ( which are both terrific scoring rates)
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed Freddie commentating on the Big Bash this morning

Looks a lot of fun in the comms box
This discussion has been closed.