Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 3)

1858687888991»

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Bonny M look like Vulcans from Star Trek on my telly due to stretched out picture.

I'm sure they were total fashion disasters then as well :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agnetha's roots!! Crikey!!
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Love ABBA. The best pop group of all times.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes!! The mighty ABBA. :):):)

Frida's hair-do in this one is awful though. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Agnetha's roots!! Crikey!!

The woman's a goddess!! She can wear her hair however she likes in my opinion! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely :)
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Yes!! The mighty ABBA. :):):)

Frida's hair-do in this one is awful though. :o

Do you think Benny got her crimpers for Christmas 1977? :)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    the full version of the 1978 christmas totp with the grease promo clips was also rerun on bbc four a good few years ago in the christmas totp reruns,we got 1967,1978,1982 (and 1994 allthough i missed that show)

Slightly off topic, but I do hope the Beeb are keeping track of all these alternative edits of the various Totps, as we're sure dont want a repeat of what happpened with the archive in the past!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman's a goddess!! She can wear her hair however she likes in my opinion! ;-)

There was talk about Agnetha and hair in the 1979 thread. I never realised she was bleached :) It was very noticeable in that video!!

Love Anni-Frid's naughty little winks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely :)

Do you think Benny got her crimpers for Christmas 1977
    ? :)

:D Quite possibly. And the poor girl never tested out the results of using them properly before filming their then latest promo it seems. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was talk about Agnetha and hair in the 1979 thread. I never realised she was bleached :) It was very noticeable in that video!!

Love Anni-Frid's naughty little winks :)

I know, I saw it. I'll get back to that in due course. She was 'mildly enhanced' on occasion IMO! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they missed out Althea & Donna? Or is this some edit? I remember thinking the same thing last year.

Noel's final show as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they missed out Althea & Donna? Or is this some edit? I remember thinking the same thing last year.

Noel's final show as well.

Oh, true. Must have been an edited one. :confused:

Decent show. But, where's the 79 thread, its up again next and I'm favouring that edition over this one still.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1979 - same Vt that just played out...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

Bizarre wasn't it. I thought I was watching a repeat for a minute!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

12 months foward, just like that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, true. Must have been an edited one. :confused:

Decent show. But, where's the 79 thread, its up again next and I'm favouring that edition over this one still.

I wonder if they just forgot about Uptown Top Ranking? ;-)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like in the next few days we are going to have 3 years worth of TOTP threads all being discussed simultaneously for at least a short while, with TOTP 1978 here, the current TOTP 1979 and the already up, running and ready TOTP 1980. Better be careful that we all end up posting in the correct year at this rate!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is my mind getting muddled from too much TOTP, but didn't they repeat the 1978 Christmas special sometime during this year. I think it was discussed in the 1979 thread. Thank goodness they showed a proper version of it a good few years back - although I remember when they showed 1982 they had problems with the aspect ratio and cut out Renee and Renato for some unknown reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Is my mind getting muddled from too much TOTP, but didn't they repeat the 1978 Christmas special sometime during this year. I think it was discussed in the 1979 thread. Thank goodness they showed a proper version of it a good few years back - although I remember when they showed 1982 they had problems with the aspect ratio and cut out Renee and Renato for some unknown reason.

I wonder then if what they showed last night and on Christmas Eve 2013 was an edit then? Obviously we know about Saturday Night Fever songs. I mentioned Althea & Donna were missed out, thinking about it now The Boomtown Rats were as well. Any more #1s missed out? It must be a good edit, as the show does flow as it is shown. If you didn't know Rat Trap and Uptown Top Ranking existed, you wouldn't miss them!

Edit: Dreadlock Holiday is also missing!!
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder then if what they showed last night and on Christmas Eve 2013 was an edit then? Obviously we know about Saturday Night Fever songs. I mentioned Althea & Donna were missed out, thinking about it now The Boomtown Rats were as well. Any more #1s missed out? It must be a good edit, as the show does flow as it is shown. If you didn't know Rat Trap and Uptown Top Ranking existed, you wouldn't miss them!

Edit: Dreadlock Holiday is also missing!!
    No songs were edited out, Althea and Donna etc were never on the 1978 Christmas show in the first place :confused: It's likely the acts you mention were meant to be on the 'other' 1978 review of the year (planned for 21/12/78) that never got made due to a strike.

All broadcast dates for the 25/12/78 show, apart from the original, are shown here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008ptfg . It was first repeated on BBC Four on 17th January 2008, in its original form with Saturday Night Fever and Grease clips intact (only Noel's link between Brian and Michael and The Floral Dance appears to have possibly been removed for some inexplicable reason). The version shown last Christmas was the same, only with Legs and Co in the place of the film clips, and that version was shown again on BBC2 as part of their 70s night on 31st May this year. I assume it was that version that was shown once again last night, although I didn't check on this occasion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No songs were edited out, Althea and Donna etc were never on the 1978 Christmas show in the first place :confused: It's likely the acts you mention were meant to be on the 'other' 1978 review of the year (planned for 21/12/78) that never got made due to a strike.

All broadcast dates for the 25/12/78 show, apart from the original, are shown here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008ptfg . It was first repeated on BBC Four on 17th January 2008, in its original form with Saturday Night Fever and Grease clips intact (only Noel's link between Brian and Michael and The Floral Dance appears to have possibly been removed for some inexplicable reason). The version shown last Christmas was the same, only with Legs and Co in the place of the film clips, and that version was shown again on BBC2 as part of their 70s night on 31st May this year. I assume it was that version that was shown once again last night, although I didn't check on this occasion.

Thanks for this Robert. It looks like as the show was put together at the last minute with the strikes and stuff, there wasn't time to include everyone. If just seems strange a few of the number ones got overlooked, even though footage was available.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems like the BBC editing department is quite fond of never ending tinkering about with edits of original broadcasts. Just a shame they can't get a fondness for doing it when it really matters with shows they need to expunge certain people out of in order to be able to broadcast them. But hey, I'm treading over well trodden ground with an old argument on what I thought was a long discarded TOTP 1978 thread, so I'll check in at 1979 and gaze at 1980 in anticipation for next Friday's official start to the 80's. Late 1978 and early 1980 seem years apart when you look at them, not merely the 12 months separated by '79. It whipped by so fast.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three Times a Lady played off a scratchy vinyl copy. Love Rose Royce....boo, boo boo boo, boo boo boo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Seems like the BBC editing department is quite fond of never ending tinkering about with edits of original broadcasts. Just a shame they can't get a fondness for doing it when it really matters with shows they need to expunge certain people out of in order to be able to broadcast them. But hey, I'm treading over well trodden ground with an old argument on what I thought was a long discarded TOTP 1978 thread, so I'll check in at 1979 and gaze at 1980 in anticipation for next Friday's official start to the 80's. Late 1978 and early 1980 seem years apart when you look at them, not merely the 12 months separated by '79. It whipped by so fast.

You are very right there. The change in fashions and music seem much greater than 12 or so months. I don't remember the same things happening as fast and being as noticeable if you compare the end of 1988 with the start of 1990!