The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    Felt exactly the same way (barring Gollum, as I thought Riddles in the Dark was the highlight of The Hobbit).

None of the heart, depth, or poignancy of the Lord of the Rings films.

I fully understand that The Hobbit is a children's novel and this is playing to that, and there can never be the emotional depth or poignancy as LotR, but though the Hobbit novel is light and has some humour, it's not juvenile, which is how I found the film. Chips, farts, rabbit-sleighs, silly quips from goblins. And a mini-goblin on a swing? Yeah. Not my kind of thing, a shame as The Lord of the Rings trilogy form some of my favourite films ever.

I loved the rabbit-sleigh. And the mini-goblin. You can't please everyone!
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the rabbit-sleigh. And the mini-goblin. You can't please everyone!

Yep, I can see that they would appeal to others. I really hope the films do well (and I can't see them not!), have nothing but good-will towards PJ and the team. Just didn't work for me.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    ...and Sylvester McCoy, what's that all about.

Jackson understands that 1988-89 Doctor Who was awesome* and cast him as a result. :p

* Apart from the shite bits. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I personally don't see the problem with the "do they do chips?" line, it's only like the scene in The Two Towers where Gollum and Sam are arguing over the "taters". It added humour to the scene, when i saw it last week it got a big laugh from the audience too.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Just back from seeing this tonight and I loved every minute of it.

I meant to see it in its nice shiny 48fps but I got a bit excited when I was booking it online a few days ago and booked the first one I saw, which was regular old 2D. But thats fine. It meant I could watch the film and judge it on what it was without any new technologies in my way.

Anyway, I loved it. Wasn't too worried about all the bad critic reviews it was getting. I like to make up my own mind on films, and I genuinely didn't think Peter Jackson would make a balls of this, after what he did to the LOTR films. And it in no way disappointed.

I never thought it would be better than LOTR, and its not, but it was still damn well amazing. I'll point out that I haven't read the books so I went in there with a clean slate on what the film was going to be like. I had nothing built up in my head as to what things should look like or what things should have sounded like.

The casting was excellent. Freeman was brilliant in his role. He played a few different parts in the film, the funny guy, the unadventurous hobbit, the serious guy, the hero etc. and he did them all really well. The cast from the previous films were great, even if they were only in it for a few minutes. I still wanted to punch Frodo in the puss for been such an arse to Sam. He's not been forgiven for that, even if we saw him before any of that happened.

The scene with Bilbo and Gollum stole the show. The riddles were good but the scene just before Bilbo left the cave were heart wrenching. As I mentioned I haven't read the books so I dont know if their paths cross again but I really hope they do. They're excellent together.

Just one or two minor gripes:
    Why the fudge did the eagles drop them so far away at the end? Why oh why oh why. Bring them closer god dammit.

Do not tell me I have to wait a year for the next one. This pish all over again.

Nota gripe as such, but I would've thought when Bilbo put the ring on, there would have been some sort of Sauron thing going on. I know this is 60 years in the past so maybe Mordor isn't quite what at the stage of been built or whatever but I thought there might be some reprecussion for putting the ring on.

Anyway, it felt amazing to be back in Middle Earth on the big screen and nothing will compare to seeing these films in the cinema. No amount of massive tvs and fancy blu rays compares to sitting in a cinema with a numb arse just engrossing yourself in the magical tales of the one ring.

Its a 5 out of 5 from me, and I will be returning to Middle Earth at least 2 more times before it leaves the cinema. It was just amazing.
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, why didn't they use the eagles from the start? Seems like if I was one of the dwarves i'd be a bit pissed the option wasn't offered to me earlier.

And I'm sure I missed this rather than it not being explained, why does a dragon care about gold?
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Yuffie, to answer some of your points, hopefully without giving too much away:
    the hobbit was written quite a few years before Lord of the rings and so while they're in the same universe, Tolkien hadn't as yet linked up Sauron and the ring and such fully. The one ring was just a magic ring originally that made the wearer invisible. Sauron wasn't in his tower in Mordor at this point. He will have further involvement in the story though in some shape or form as you've possibly already seen ;)

The eagles just got the party out of trouble. They've dropped them all off at a place ready for the next part of the tale and in fact ready for them to meet my favorite character in all of the books. :D

You do have to wait a year for part two but I believe the final movie will be released fairly soon after the second one.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK release dates for 2 & 3 are 13th December 2013 and 18th July 2014
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    Boring as ****.

Nice :rolleyes:
  • MarakaerMarakaer Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've posted my review over on my site after getting to attend the London Premiere/Royal Film Performance on Wednesday and then see a standard 2D 24fps screening the very next day - it's the most detailed review I've produced so would be interested in people's comments and feedback:

http://wtfoosh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-film.html
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Too long. 3/5
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why anyone has an issue with the chips line I can't fathom, some people clearly have some sort of attention deficiency
    What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?

*Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Hi Yuffie, to answer some of your points, hopefully without giving too much away:
    the hobbit was written quite a few years before Lord of the rings and so while they're in the same universe, Tolkien hadn't as yet linked up Sauron and the ring and such fully. The one ring was just a magic ring originally that made the wearer invisible. Sauron wasn't in his tower in Mordor at this point. He will have further involvement in the story though in some shape or form as you've possibly already seen ;)

The eagles just got the party out of trouble. They've dropped them all off at a place ready for the next part of the tale and in fact ready for them to meet my favorite character in all of the books. :D

You do have to wait a year for part two but I believe the final movie will be released fairly soon after the second one.

Thanks for the reply. That does answer that little gripe I had.
    They have already mentioned the witch king and found his sword. Hmmm ... what could this all mean??

Ah its only cuz I'm so pumped from watching it last night that I can't wait the year for the next one, but as this is the case with all movies, I'm sure a bridge will be soon built and I shall get my whinging ass over it!
    Regarding the eagles, didn't a lot of people take the piss in LOTR that they should have brought them the whole journey. Wouldn't make for very exciting films if they did, but bringing them a few miles more towards their target wouldn't hurt.

A friend I was at the cinema with was wondering how fast can that butterfly fly. Say the eagles came about 5 minutes after Gandalf had called them, then they were only 2 and a half minutes away as the butterfly goes! They must have just been in a nearby field or something.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to see this but more than that I really want to like it. Im not a fan of M. Freeman but hope he proves me wrong as Bilbo. Will probably only watch it in 2D. Love, love, love LOTR so hope this fits in nicely with the whole Middle Earth saga.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is
    that the eagles cannot be commanded, they only come at will. In LOTR they would get taken out by the Nazgûl and they have other fights to fight. They are free creatures and only appear when they are needed. I don't really know for sure but that's what's in my mind!

Anyway, I loved the film! After all the negativity surrounding it I went in expecting it to not be as good as I had hoped, I was so glad I was wrong!

Like many others, I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy so for me it was just lovely to be back in Middle Earth! Seeing all the characters again like Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond was wonderful and as a big fan of Martin Freeman in Sherlock I was expecting him to be excellent and he was! Bilbo was perfect! As were the sets, it was great to see more of Rivendell and The Shire. The music was gorgeous, the Misty Mountain theme was just wonderful! Can't wait to own the soundtrack!

According to other people it would be best to watch it first in 24fps then if you really want to, watch it in 48fps. I saw it in 24fps 3D (which was the best 3D I've ever seen) and apparently that's the best to go for as 48fps kinda takes you out of it a little bit.

The only gripe I had is the (in my opinion) the use of CGI on the orcs and goblins, in LOTR they looked so real but here you can tell they've been touched up a bit. But that is seriously it. I loved the film so much.

Highlights that might spoil for some people:
    1. Thranduil showing up! Even if it's only for a second he looked perfect! I cannot wait until the next film when they get to Mirkwood!
    2. The last shot. Makes me so excited to see Smaug , I adore Benedict Cumberbatch and he will be spectacular!
    3. The Bilbo/Gollum scene was perfection!

Ahhh I cannot wait until the next one! Will be watching this one again at least twice in the cinema!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary, I'd say the 48fps draws you right in.

And Re the first point of an avian nature, that's exactly as I understand it.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to go back and see it again - neither can my 10 year old son. He has grown up with LOTR as we watch them constantly, and he is not all that keen on them (more a Star Wars fan) - but he loved The Hobbit. Absolutely loved it.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is
    that the eagles cannot be commanded, they only come at will. In LOTR they would get taken out by the Nazgûl and they have other fights to fight. They are free creatures and only appear when they are needed. I don't really know for sure but that's what's in my mind!

Anyway, I loved the film! After all the negativity surrounding it I went in expecting it to not be as good as I had hoped, I was so glad I was wrong!

Like many others, I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy so for me it was just lovely to be back in Middle Earth! Seeing all the characters again like Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond was wonderful and as a big fan of Martin Freeman in Sherlock I was expecting him to be excellent and he was! Bilbo was perfect! As were the sets, it was great to see more of Rivendell and The Shire. The music was gorgeous, the Misty Mountain theme was just wonderful! Can't wait to own the soundtrack!

According to other people it would be best to watch it first in 24fps then if you really want to, watch it in 48fps. I saw it in 24fps 3D (which was the best 3D I've ever seen) and apparently that's the best to go for as 48fps kinda takes you out of it a little bit.

The only gripe I had is the (in my opinion) the use of CGI on the orcs and goblins, in LOTR they looked so real but here you can tell they've been touched up a bit. But that is seriously it. I loved the film so much.

Highlights that might spoil for some people:
    1. Thranduil showing up! Even if it's only for a second he looked perfect! I cannot wait until the next film when they get to Mirkwood!
    2. The last shot. Makes me so excited to see Smaug , I adore Benedict Cumberbatch and he will be spectacular!
    3. The Bilbo/Gollum scene was perfection!

Ahhh I cannot wait until the next one! Will be watching this one again at least twice in the cinema!

Not true,for many people on here it did the exact opposite
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true,for many people on here it did the exact opposite

Yes, definitely more immersive in 48 fps here. The opening battle was a vivid tour de force, and the swooping camera through the mine (or whatever it was--sorry!) near the end had a gripping, soaring quality I've never seen before. (No wonder Cameron is going with HFR for Avatar.) And lots in between was great as well! :)

And I understand one of the reasons for HFR is to make 3D more comfortable. (I'd have preferred 2D HFR myself, but maybe next time...)
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brief review;

Good film and worth catching on the big screen. Have only part read The Hobbit (but LOTR books many times over), so interested to see how Jackson is tying this into the other trilogy. Visually very splendid, welcomed the LOTR stars reprising their roles and fair quota of (bloodless action). The first 45 mins of scene setting in Bilbo's house wasn't a chore as some have made out. Once they all set off on the adventure, then the pace quickens and so does the story and combat. There's a bit of gravitas with Thorin Oakenshield's story and he's definitely the Aragorn of the movie. Highlight as many have pointed out is Bilbo's confrontation with Gollum; just lovely to see the wicked slimey toad back up there. McKellen has slipped back into the robes of Gandalf sweetly and says more with a crafty look and twinkle in his eye, than with a dozen words. Really enjoyed being in his company again and just revisiting Middle Earth.

Saw this in standard format, (I think) so can't comment on the HFR debate. Still can't abide horrendous 3D and given the amount of dark scenes in the film, glad I persuaded the gf to catch 2D showing with me.

As with prequels, no real tension over certain characters fates so just happy to go along with the ride. 7/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I am a huge fan of the LOTR films and I was super super excited to see the Hobbit. I wasn't disappointed!! I absolutely loved it!!! Can not wait to see it again and for the next instalment.

I actually really enjoyed the scenes at Bag end, setting the scene and introducing the characters, made me more interested in them and there quest.

I watched the film in 3D, which was just amazing, the special effects were brill, I'm not sure what frame setting I watched it in, but it didn't bother me.

Martin Freeman is just amazing as Bilbo, I loved all the dwarves especially Thorin!! The Bilbo and Gollum scene was a particular highlight and so well done. And Gandalf is my favourite character and just shone in this film :)

I have know problem with the chips line, made me and the rest of the cinema laugh.

5/5 from me cant wait for the next one!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why anyone has an issue with the chips line I can't fathom, some people clearly have some sort of attention deficiency

Some people clearly take things too seriously. There is no need to insult someone because they offer a slight criticism that you disagree with.

I can imagine chips being part of Hobbit culture - I don't somehow see them as being part of Dwarf culture. Just my little idiosyncrasy which made me think the line a bit jarring - not, as I said, a big deal.

Actually Tolkien himself, (in his letters I think), remarks on how Sam shouldn't really have mentioned "taters" in the book - potatoes are from the new world, of course, and wouldn't be available in Middle Earth, situated in "The north west of the old world, east of the sea".
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visually very splendid, welcomed the LOTR stars reprising their roles and fair quota of (bloodless action).

Including a teensy tiny Sam Gamgee....did you see him??? ;)

Which brings me onto the 24 fps vs 48 fps debate :p

As of today, I've seen both the 2D and 3D versions; apart from it being an excellent film - I'm a lifelong Tolkien fan - seeing it twice in the two different formats allowed me to pick up on a lot of extra detail - like Sam's miniaturised appearance mentioned above!

1/ the 48 fps used for the 3D version seemed to impart a "warm" video camera-like overlay to the film....unlike the "D version, which retained it...."filmic"...appearance ;) This worked brilliantly....in places; because this (unintentional?) effect wasn't even, it was far more pronounced in some places than others....for example, it was almost entirely absent during the Riddle scenes....but in the earlier sections, particularly the chase by the orcs and wargs that immediately oprceeded the party entering Rivendell, I thought I was looking a a television version!!! :eek: This would have been fine IF it had occured evenly across the whole film to the same intensity....

2/ the 3D both worked...and didn't work :eek:Having seen the 2D version first I could see where 3D was going to work great....but some of the scenes I expected to be great were slightly underwhelming - the Eagles at the end, for example....

3/ Where 3D won it however was the crowded, busy scenes - the historical battle outside Moria, the fight when the Dwarves attack the three trolls, and in the Goblin mines. Watching the 2D version, these scenes were TOO busy...there was just too much happening in your face, the whole thing was too jumbled...but in the 3D version, 3D worked to sort these jumbled images out into foreground, middle-, and background and you could NOW see the distinct actions that everyone was doing. You could see that what was going on was directed to make the best use of 3D ;)

In regards to the longer version when it comes out next year on DVD and Bluray - I can't see where the extra 20 mins are going to be slotted in. I can't offhand think of anything that's been left out of the Hobbit portions that appeared onscreen...so unless there's far more LOTR backstory???
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw it again, how much I love this movie has not diminished since the first viewing.

I am looking forward to part II, but still kind of disappointed about it being split up into 3 parts.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Just got back from a HFR 3d viewing. It was the most epic thing I have ever seen on a big screen.

I feel sorry for those critics who simply cant get past the framerate, I just allowed myself to be utterly immersed and it completely won me over. I read somewhere that the prosthetics are jarring in their rubberyness, that the CGi would be too smooth. Utter poppycock.

I have again reached that point whereby anything else done by any other director, in the interim, will be wildly anticlimactic.

My feelings on the "chips" line? What an utterly British thing to say, in an utterly British story.