Options

Rear Brake Pads?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
Forum Member
Hi, just after opinions/advice really. My car (Rio Kio 1.1) went for its first year service today (had it from brand new April 13), and it came back as needing new rear brake pads as they were over 80% worn ... this seems a little odd to me - with my (very basic!) knowledge i wouldve assumed that the fronts would have gone first, but even still, any to go after one year and 14500 miles seems a bit odd?? I asked the garage what could cause this and they just said, "yeah we thought it was strange too" with no offer of any reasonable explanation .... any ideas?

should add ... the car had it service by the main kia dealer, not a dodgy backstreet garage so i dont think they are scamming me... im just confused as to why theyve worn so quickly ...

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you been driving with the hand brake not fully off?
    14500 is slightly over the yearly average for a car (12000 is the stock average).
    also depends on your style of driving, so you tend to slam on the brakes a lot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not that i am aware of ...

i dont slam the brakes on really, every so often if necessary but generally not. I do do alot of miles as I commute 40/50 miles each way to work so could understood more wear and tear than average (e.g. i have to pump my tyres up often etc)

as for the rest of my driving style... well i have been known to drive a bit faster than i should on the motorway, but less so recently as I'm trying to improve my fuel consumption, i don't rev the engine or speed away from lights/junctions etc. i like to think I'm a sensible driver (theres not a lot of option in a 1.1 kia lol) and i can't really think of anything that would make rear brakes wear so badly (even if i did brake suddenly often, surely the fronts would wear first, or am i wrong in that assumption??)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sound fishy, as you say the fronts do more work and the rear brakes don't do anywhere near as much graft. I'd be surprised if they were pads at the back anyway on a 1.1 - they're usually shoes and drums, discs being reserved for diseasels and higher powered stuff.

It's not unknown for a main stealer to be talking through their backside to make money... you're sort of stuck with using them with such a new car though. (I know in theory you can get it serviced anywhere as long as they use OEM parts and they *should* still honour any warranty but I can imagine them being awkward should you need to claim).
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely has brake pads on the rear with the Kia.

It isn't that unusual for these Kia models to wear out brake pads early on the rear.

What happens is that the pads stick in their mounting bracket and don't release properly causing the pads to wear early...the problem is the cars are often stuck in a compound for ages until they sell and rust builds up in the pad mounting bracket...I see this all too often.
    I had a driving school Kia that had been to the dealer under warranty for a squeak on the rear brakes which the dealer said was fine, didn't have a fault...I was asked to look at the problem and found the pads were seized in their brackets causing the squeak.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a minor thing, going back to post before the one above this one, rear disc brakes r not always reserved for diesels, my diesel car has drums on the back, but then again the only thing vw give u extra is the air inside the car, lol.

modern, larger cars do usually have discs at the back tho.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The mighty Hyundai i10 has rear discs y'know. 1200cc of petrol powered grunt.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you've been driving around with the handbrake half on.

Apart from a simple con or a major manufacturers fault I can't think of any other reason this would happen :confused:

Rear brake pads need changing far less frequently than front brake pads.. and front pads don't even need changing every 2-3 years usually.

For a car that's only a year old this just doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read what Waj_100 has written. He is a garage owner and knows what he is talking about.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It sounds as if you've been driving around with the handbrake half on.

Apart from a simple con or a major manufacturers fault I can't think of any other reason this would happen :confused:

Rear brake pads need changing far less frequently than front brake pads.. and front pads don't even need changing every 2-3 years usually.

For a car that's only a year old this just doesn't make any sense.

Didn't you read post 5?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Didn't you read post 5?

It seems not. For some reason my brain overlooked it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It seems not. For some reason my brain overlooked it.

That's OK. Waj_100 is the best man on here:)
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    The mighty Hyundai i10 has rear discs y'know. 1200cc of petrol powered grunt.

the 2014 i10 is what i looked at the other day. quite nice and you get a lot of spec for the money. we have a hyundai main dealer just a few miles down the road. 1.2 petrol is the one i would go for, with automatic transmission (i spend a lot of my time in traffic these days). i might b tempted to get one.....

the ix35 is a lovely car inside, but a bit too expensive for me.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fronts pads should wear faster than the rear so something else is wrong.

Get the brake calipers checked. Seized or sticking pistons can cause this type of abnormal wear - and as mentioned in post #5 it is a Common fault with Kias,
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I'm not well up on mechanicals so just musing here;
    accepting that Waj_100 has already given the most likely answer for the OP;

Disc brakes are preferred for stopping, these became common fitment at the front from the early 1960s in place of drum brakes.
    However they were not satisfactory as a parking brake so drum brakes continue to be used at the rear.
    Modern four-wheel anti-lock requires the use of disc brakes all round. Hence the more common fitment of rear discs on "performance" variants.
    Some of these have a supplemental small drum within the disc, just for the parkbrake. This is obviously an added cost, so presumably some manufacturers just fit rear disc brakes and try to make them work for both stopping and parking brakes, with limited success.
    I also wondered whether those with supplemental drums had smaller discs and smaller pads than the front, which if the brakes were functioning normally and loading the front brakes more, would lead to even wear front to back (although it's more likely that the front discs and pads on those cars are made the same size as those fitted around the rear drum!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Definitely has brake pads on the rear with the Kia.

It isn't that unusual for these Kia models to wear out brake pads early on the rear.

What happens is that the pads stick in their mounting bracket and don't release properly causing the pads to wear early...the problem is the cars are often stuck in a compound for ages until they sell and rust builds up in the pad mounting bracket...I see this all too often.
    I had a driving school Kia that had been to the dealer under warranty for a squeak on the rear brakes which the dealer said was fine, didn't have a fault...I was asked to look at the problem and found the pads were seized in their brackets causing the squeak.
    michael37 wrote: »
    The fronts pads should wear faster than the rear so something else is wrong.

Get the brake calipers checked. Seized or sticking pistons can cause this type of abnormal wear - and as mentioned in post #5 it is a Common fault with Kias,

thank you for this information (and to everyone else that replied) For those that mentioned it, my car is a diesel and the mechanic definitely said worn brake pads.

I have emailed Kia direct to see what they say about the couple of "mysterious" issues the car has had in the last 12 months (this, and then a few months back there was a leak in the clutch cylinder, which again the dealer had NO idea what caused it but they did fix it under the warranty) to see if theres something dodgy going on with the car

. In the meantime I will also go and get my car independently checked to get the brake calipers checked (not that I know what they are - im a total thicko when it comes to cars lol)

Really appreciate the help :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    I'm not well up on mechanicals so just musing here;
    accepting that Waj_100 has already given the most likely answer for the OP;

Disc brakes are preferred for stopping, these became common fitment at the front from the early 1960s in place of drum brakes.
    However they were not satisfactory as a parking brake so drum brakes continue to be used at the rear.
    Modern four-wheel anti-lock requires the use of disc brakes all round. Hence the more common fitment of rear discs on "performance" variants.
    Some of these have a supplemental small drum within the disc, just for the parkbrake. This is obviously an added cost, so presumably some manufacturers just fit rear disc brakes and try to make them work for both stopping and parking brakes, with limited success.
    I also wondered whether those with supplemental drums had smaller discs and smaller pads than the front, which if the brakes were functioning normally and loading the front brakes more, would lead to even wear front to back (although it's more likely that the front discs and pads on those cars are made the same size as those fitted around the rear drum!).

No the discs are pretty large and do work VERY well.

I have had 5 cars with that system, 3 with drums and 1 with a transmission brake rather than rear brakes