Farewell, Ashley Cole - no more international football

posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have slightly mixed feelings about this one. I certainly wouldn't marry the man but he's been decent enough in an England shirt. I wouldn't have started him but probably would have taken him to Rio.

On the plus side, his lack of selection suggests that Roy may be a bit more open to the youngsters than previous interviews have implied.

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised to hear that Ashley Cole has been left out. I think he would have been a good choice based on experience. His performance for Chelsea away to Atletico Madrid was assured and demonstrated that he can put in solid performances at the highest level.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baines isn't exactly a spring chicken either so his comments are alittle odd. He can easily still do a job at the highest level.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley cole has never a bad tournament for england even when they are absolute crap. Surprised hes not going, hes fit, reliable and highly experienced.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported that Hodgsen had asked Cole would he be on stand by? Cole did not want to and has therefore retired. I think asking a player of that experience to be on stand by is an insult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Although in midfield and attack I think Hodgson should go with quite a number of young progressive players, I would have personally picked Baines and Cole as the left backs.

But asking Ashley to go on standby is no insult, and not a huge surprise in respect of a player left out by his own club manager for most of the season.

Although I would have picked him for the squad, I do think it pretty poor not to be prepared to go on standby for his country if this has indeed been the case.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I think it's the right decision. The older England players need to make way for the next generation. They've had their time and delivered absolutely nothing in either the World Cup or the euros.

We haven't got a cat in hell's chance of winning the World Cup and we'll do well to even get out of the group, so why not give the youngsters a taste of international tournament football?

We've got a few decent young players coming through and I'd rather they pulled on the shirt than the same old big names who have been a massive let down over the years.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy has got this one wrong. You take your best players to the World Cup and Cole is still the best English LB at this point in time, despite his age.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough decision as he's been the best and most reliable England player of his generation

Doubt we'll see /hear him as a pundit either
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Take the young un's to the World Cup now, when they are hungry. England have already given the so-called Golden Generation enough chances. They've failed.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take the young un's to the World Cup now, when they are hungry. England have already given the so-called Golden Generation enough chances. They've failed.

Ironically cole is the one player who has never failed.

Get Rooney and gerrard out of the squad, both international chokers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I think it's the right decision. The older England players need to make way for the next generation. They've had their time and delivered absolutely nothing in either the World Cup or the euros.

We haven't got a cat in hell's chance of winning the World Cup and we'll do well to even get out of the group, so why not give the youngsters a taste of international tournament football?

We've got a few decent young players coming through and I'd rather they pulled on the shirt than the same old big names who have been a massive let down over the years.

In a World Cup, you play for the here and now !

As it happens, I think the here and now should include some of the younger, exciting players that have emerged.

But there is a strong argument for including Cole and that it is too soon for Shaw.

Gamble further forward, not in defence.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Ironically cole is the one player who has never failed.

Get Rooney and gerrard out of the squad, both international chokers.

Really codeblue, your comments do surprise me.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a bit surprised with this, I know Cole hasn't played much for Chelsea this season, but he has always been decent for England.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    In a World Cup, you play for the here and now !

As it happens, I think the here and now should include some of the younger, exciting players that have emerged.

But there is a strong argument for including Cole and that it is too soon for Shaw.

Gamble further forward, not in defence.

Well said. You take your best and most experienced players to a tournament like the World Cup, Shaw gains nothing from sitting around hotel rooms and sitting on the bench. If we take players just because we think we don't have a chance of winning it what message does that send to them? If we could win we would not take you?

If Ash had not been playing well and that was the reason for him not playing much this season then I could see some logic but that was not the case same if when he did play his form had slipped again that was not the case.

The answer to England's international problems is not due to the age of the players
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds about time and it seems even he realises that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really codeblue, your comments do surprise me.

Not normally one to agree with this poster but can see what is meant, Ash has been the most consist England player for years. His club form has always been constant with his international form, I don't think you can say the same for Rooney and Gerrard. They have played somewhere between ok and well but compared to how they have played for their teams I don't think you can compare them
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cole has been a great servant for the English game and the England squad. He has been the best left back ever to put on an England shirt and in my view the best left back in the premier league.

While his private life has been in question he is a gentlemen on the pitch and always conducted himself well on football matters. He has retired with respect and a 107 caps to his name. I don't think the world cup would have been the end of his career with England he might have been in the picture for future games.

I do however fully understand Hodgson's choice and I think it is a logical one. Cole has only played twice in the last 4 months in fact over the season only 15 times for his team. Clearly match fitness is going to be an issue and the thought of going over to play in a Hot and Steamy Brazil we are going to need players up to the task.

Had Cole played a full season or at least been in the side over the last 4 months he would have been my choice. If you cannot even get in your own first teams 11 in the league squad it makes the jump to international football quite difficult.

Baines is going to be the logical starting choice so Cole would have only been on the bench anyway. In this case it maybe makes more sense to take a young player to blood them into the experience of the world cup.

Finally I think players should be always judged on merit and how well they are playing at the current time. Baines and Shaw have been outstanding this season with ease the best 2 English left backs and should be on the plane.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll always remember Cole's incredible performance against Portugal in 2004, the best performance I've ever seen by any England player at any game in a major tournament (admittedly there's not that much competition given I wasn't old enough to watch Italia '90). He's the only one of the golden generation who actually put in world class performances in an England shirt.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    It has been reported that Hodgsen had asked Cole would he be on stand by? Cole did not want to and has therefore retired. I think asking a player of that experience to be on stand by is an insult.

Retiring from England is an insult.

If you are not picked and don't want to be on standby so be it but shut up and don't leak the standby thing.

When is the first international after the World Cup for his retirement to be relevant?

Beckham has never retired.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have mixed feelings about this too.

On the one had, Cole is one of the few genuine world class players England have had in the last decade & it seems crazy to jettison him when he clearly still has some fuel left in his tank; on the other hand, I have been banging on about England breaking up the so-called & criminally misnamed 'Golden Generation' for a while now & bringing in some fresh faces.

Whilst I think it is brave of Hodgson to leave Cole out, I can't help but thinking that it might come back to haunt him by leaving out a player of Cole's quality, even if he is just slightly over the hill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are not first choice for your club, you cannot be expected to go to the World Cup.

Mourinho put paid to Cole going unfortunately, which is a shame because for me he is still head and shoulders above Baines, who I think is very very weak in defence. He will be exposed all day long against a good winger.

Shaw going though is a good thing. Very exciting player, and why shouldn't he get his chance - he has performed all season and arguably should be starting.

I also agree that Cole has been our most consistent performer over the years, and should be regarded among the great left backs of this generation, in world football.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    If you are not first choice for your club, you cannot be expected to go to the World Cup.

Mourinho put paid to Cole going unfortunately, which is a shame because for me he is still head and shoulders above Baines, who I think is very very weak in defence. He will be exposed all day long against a good winger.

Shaw going though is a good thing. Very exciting player, and why shouldn't he get his chance - he has performed all season and arguably should be starting.

I also agree that Cole has been our most consistent performer over the years, and should be regarded among the great left backs of this generation, in world football.

WRONG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BossLid wrote: »
    WRONG

"for me".

We will see come June.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    "for me".

We will see come June.

I disagree. Baines hasn't exactly been shown up defensively this season. Just because he's great at attacking doesn't mean he can't defend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BossLid wrote: »
    I disagree. Baines hasn't exactly been shown up defensively this season. Just because he's great at attacking doesn't mean he can't defend.

He can defend but its not the strongest part of his game and I can see the type of players he will come across in the World Cup will show major flaws in his defensive game. He can get away with it in the premership where he rarely comes across great players but in the World Cup you need someone who has dealt with these type of players time after time