Options

I'm here, i'm queer I had nothing to fear

spolierspolier Posts: 410
Forum Member
So came out in January wish I had done it sooner.

I am 29 m was hiding for way too long scared of what people would think but it has honestly been the best thing I ever did.

My situation before was slightly bad as was engaged to a girl who I now miss terribly but I did the right thing for us both. She even said it was the bravest thing I ever did.

For anyone who is worried or scared about coming out try talking to people you trust and who love you. The rest falls into place

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Most people don't care. If they do, it is their problem also.

It's important you don't define yourself by your sexuality too. I see a lot of people who feel the need to constantly remind people of it for some reason. They seem insecure.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Well, congratulations.:D

Hopefully you haven't had any negative reactions from people. Sounds like your ex-fiancee has been supportive, at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most people don't care. If they do, it is their problem also.

It's important you don't define yourself by your sexuality too. I see a lot of people who feel the need to constantly remind people of it for some reason. They seem insecure.

Very true. i hate the labels that come with it. I am me now finally and am going to remain me. It doesnt matter what sexuality anyone is, for me it's the person.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hopefully you haven't had any negative reactions from people. Sounds like your ex-fiancee has been supportive, at least.

At first she was. Not spoken since Jan now. it's for the best though we both need to move on.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the word "Queer " now one of those words,, like the "N" Word , that is only offensive when the word is used by people the word DOESN'T describe ?

Sigh, I can't keep up with these things.

Gay man admits to being gay, so what ? it's not been illegal for quite some time now.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

For what?

Never understand the "congratulations" when someone "comes out".

It's 2014, not 1964. No one cares (or very few do, but that's their problem) about what sexuality anyone is.

Why this "coming out" nonsense still exists, I don't know.

I also don't like OP's choice of words in the title.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you, sweetie.....
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldnt this be in the gay section?
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In similar news, I just ate a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done , a hug from me .just be yourself . I have had friends that came out late , your age , and they have tended to suddenly become a bit too gay ( Rylan type ) , so I hope you are just in the middle some where : )
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    spolier wrote: »
    So came out in January wish I had done it sooner.

I am 29 m was hiding for way too long scared of what people would think but it has honestly been the best thing I ever did.

My situation before was slightly bad as was engaged to a girl who I now miss terribly but I did the right thing for us both. She even said it was the bravest thing I ever did.

For anyone who is worried or scared about coming out try talking to people you trust and who love you. The rest falls into place

congratulations, it is good that your friends and family have been supportive :)
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anything changed for you? How are people taking it? If it's badly, then remember, you're exactly the same person. It's just their prejudices that are visible now. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone please explain (preferrably Trsvis, Howard and Tardis) why someone needs "congratulating" when they say what sexuality they are?

The OP came out in January. December he was still gay and his family and friends loved him and supported him, so why wouldn't they when he mentioned his sexuality. Nothing's changed, he's still the same person.

Why the need to say "well done" and "congratulations" when you say you're gay, but not when you're heterosexual?

It really annoys me when people treat someone differently when they've "come out". All of a sudden their popularity goes up and they are put on a pedestal. To me, it's as bad as disliking someone and giving someone abuse for their sexuality. In both you are liking/disliking that person based on their sexuality. You should like/dislike someone based upon their personality, sexuality shouldn't come into it.

No one cares about sexuality, you are who you are. The sooner the whole "coming out" thing is phased out, the better.
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Can someone please explain (preferrably Trsvis, Howard and Tardis) why someone needs "congratulating" when they say what sexuality they are?

The OP came out in January. December he was still gay and his family and friends loved him and supported him, so why wouldn't they when he mentioned his sexuality. Nothing's changed, he's still the same person.

Why the need to say "well done" and "congratulations" when you say you're gay, but not when you're heterosexual?

It really annoys me when people treat someone differently when they've "come out". All of a sudden their popularity goes up and they are put on a pedestal. To me, it's as bad as disliking someone ad giving someone abuse for their sexuality. In both you are liking/disliking that person based on their sexuality.

No one cares about sexuality, you are who you are. The sooner the whole "coming out" thing is phased out, the better.

Here here.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I know things are better now but there is still a risk of rejection when someone comes out, that must weigh heavy. Even now some people still never take the step so it takes some courage and I applaud that courage.

Congrats O.P. I hope you have a super big gay life.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what?

Never understand the "congratulations" when someone "comes out".

It's 2014, not 1964. No one cares (or very few do, but that's their problem) about what sexuality anyone is.

Why this "coming out" nonsense still exists, I don't know.

I also don't like OP's choice of words in the title.
    Rightly or wrongly it is still a big issue to a lot of people and there's nothing wrong with congratulating someone on plucking up the courage to face a long-held fear.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

You're wrong. People do still care about sexuality and take offence at those who come out. Even families. People who professed love of children and siblings still to this day disown them if they are gay.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

The OP came out in January. December he was still gay and his family and friends loved him and supported him, so why wouldn't they when he mentioned his sexuality. Nothing's changed, he's still the same person

It really annoys me when people treat someone differently when they've "come out". All of a sudden their popularity goes up and they are put on a pedestal. To me, it's as bad as disliking someone and giving someone abuse for their sexuality. In both you are liking/disliking that person based on their sexuality. You should like/dislike someone based upon their personality, sexuality shouldn't come into it.

Congratulations in my opinion are in order as it's clearly been a struggle from his side reflecting in how long it has actually taken to come out, which isn't easy for anyone to do, that feeling of anxiety and anticipation as to how people will react if something straight people would not understand

Btw I wish you all the best
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly it is still a big issue to a lot of people and there's nothing wrong with congratulating someone on plucking up the courage to face a long-held fear.

Is it really still a big issue or is it people making it still an issue.

The only people in this thread making sexuality an issue are those that are "congratulating" the OP.

It's not a fear someone should have. If someone doesn't like someone based upon their sexuality, that person is an idiot.
    You're wrong. People do still care about sexuality and take offence at those who come out. Even families. People who professed love of children and siblings still to this day disown them if they are gay.

Controversially, I think it's a generational thing. I'm under 25, I don't know anyone that cares about sexuality and all my friends, past and present, are completely open minded and don't care about what sexuality someone is.

There's people of say, 40, 50 60+ that say they're not bothered whether someone is gay or not, but make an issue out of it, by saying "well done", "hope you have no issue" "glad you're family/friends are supportive" (supportive of what, exactly?). Whereas, if someone told me their sexuality, I don't say anything. Inside I'm thinking, 'yeah, and?'

As I said, controversial view, but that's how I see it.

If someone disowns someone because of their sexuality that is their problem and they're not worth bothering about anyone. I don't get it either. Yesterday, that friend or family member liked them, today they don't because they've said they're gay. Yesterday they were gay, today they are gay. Yesterday you liked them, today, you don't. It makes no sense.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It still takes a lot for one to come out, especially when there's a chance that some of their families, friends and locals may reject them. That's what congratulations are for. It's not "well done on being gay", it's "well done on deciding to be openly gay".

We still have a long way to go in terms of accepting LGBT people as the norm. We might as well to give a shout of support to those who choose to work towards making that happen.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done , a hug from me .just be yourself . I have had friends that came out late , your age , and they have tended to suddenly become a bit too gay ( Rylan type ) , so I hope you are just in the middle some where : )

Could you define, 'too gay' for me please?? :confused::blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    So much ignorance. Some kids get disowned for being gay. There's a reason LGBT charities are set up for kids who become homeless just for being gay. So sexuality might not matter much to you, but try telling that to a kid who has probably had abuse about his/her sexuality their entire lives, and then finds the courage to come out, only for their entire family to shun them for it. Those who think sexuality doesn't matter at all are deluding themselves because it does. Casual homophobia goes on on a daily basis in schools and workplaces. Is there any wonder some gay people choose to stay in the closet with this much negativity around the subject?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversially, I think it's a generational thing. I'm under 25, I don't know anyone that cares about sexuality and all my friends, past and present are completely open minded, accepting and don't care about what sexuality someone is.

There's people of say, 40, 50 60+ that say they're not bothered whether someone is gay or not, but make an issue out of it, by saying "well done", "hope you have no issue" "glad you're family/friends are supportive" (supportive of what, exactly?). Whereas, if someone told me their sexuality, I don't say anything. Inside I'm thinking, 'yeah, and?'

As I said, controversial view, but that's how I see it.

It's not a controversial thing to say. If anything, it shows lack of understanding or awareness towards history. You forget that there are LGBT people among older generations. Many still remember those days when it was an offence. It was decriminalised in England and Wales only forty+ years ago and in Scotland thirty+ years ago. So saying something to the effect of "we got your back" is a recognition that those difficult days are over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It still takes a lot for one to come out, especially when there's a chance that some of their families, friends and locals may reject them. That's what congratulations are for. It's not "well done on being gay", it's "well done on deciding to be openly gay".

We still have a long way to go in terms of accepting LGBT people as the norm. We might as well to give a shout of support to those who choose to work towards making that happen.

The only people making an issue and a big deal of someone being gay are those saying "congrats/well done".

There's a lot of people in this thread that are overestimating the amount of people that actually care about sexuality.

Defining LGBT as a group is another thing that annoys me. Why the need for segregation or a different group for people? It's like gay bars/clubs, why the need?
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    The only people making an issue and a big deal of someone being gay are those saying "congrats/well done".

There's a lot of people in this thread that are overestimating the amount of people that actually care about sexuality.

Defining LGBT as a group is another thing that annoys me. Why the need for segregation or a different group for people? It's like gay bars/clubs, why the need?

No one is congratulating him on his sexuality. It not an achievement in itself. It's about having the courage to be honest about it to his nearest and dearest.