My cat has changed colour

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a black and white cat - well I used to have a black and white cat but now his black fur has changed colour to a browny red.

He is 15 years old and now spends ALL of his time outside
so I am hoping its either his age or change of enviroment.

Has this happened to any one elses cat.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They say it is either due to the sun or a vitamin deficiency or getting old.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could be age, our 14 year old border collie (dog, but still) had gone bronish red where she's black
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun can affect their coat. Also they often shed at this time of year - if you don't normally groom him try combing him, if some of the change is old fur not come out he will look better afterwards.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's age. Years ago our black dog Patch turned a kind of deep reddish/brown as he got old. Our cat Bully did the same.
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our black cat is sixteen, and her black coat has gradually become a dark browny-red with flecks of grey, bless her. I think it's an age thing, like humans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a combination of age and sun but it doesn't do them any harm, so long as he doesn't have white on his ears, which could be prone to skin cancer if he is in the sun too much.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little princess is a 'black' tortie - she's a bit of a patchwork actually, but dark. Anyway, when the summer comes around, after a few brushes to help her get rid of her winter coat, she turns a nice shade of reddy/orange/dark brown/silver/cream :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Mine goes a bit rusty looking in the summer from sunbathing too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's very common in cats with black in their coats - I actually had a feeling what your post was going to say before even clicking on it. My black and white little man is the same. He eats well so I don't think it's a deficiency, but more his age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat always changes colour according to the seasons. She's about 8 now, but has always done this. She is a tricolour, and her dark red/caramel patches turn much lighter in Summer, changing to an orange ginger.

She does go outdoors, but spends most of her time inside, in a wardrobe, asleep!

I have always thought of it as being similar to human hair changing shades in sunlight, and think it's just natural!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little princess is a 'black' tortie - she's a bit of a patchwork actually, but dark. Anyway, when the summer comes around, after a few brushes to help her get rid of her winter coat, she turns a nice shade of reddy/orange/dark brown/silver/cream :)

Are you sure she isn't Joseph, or Dolly Parton? :eek:;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I THINK it MAY be slightly bleached from the sun, however, in very hot countries, you still get very dark black cats. Make sure the cat is eating properly, getting its vitamins and minerals and consider a trip to the vet.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aesa wrote: »
    Our black cat is sixteen, and her black coat has gradually become a dark browny-red with flecks of grey, bless her. I think it's an age thing, like humans.

Our "black" cat is now a reddy brown/gingery colour too. it's more noticeable with his summer coat and he is 12 year old as well so looks a little bit thread bare too.

Our B&W cat is about 2 and he is still very black, but our old B&W puss went brown in the summer.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I remember an old undoctored stray tom cat my family took in 25 years ago. He used brazen cheek to walk in and make himself at home, the downside was he didn't wash and stank.

Somebody suggested rubbing sawdust into his fur, he didn't like it and walked off in a huff. He came back beautifully clean and stayed that way until he died three years later. He changed from dirty grey to black and white. He was vey old but had 3 good years with us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have a 15 year old B&W his coat has went a browny red colour, I would agree with the other posters who said it is an age thing, my boy is healthy and happy apart from a wee bit more white on his face!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat changes colour and appearance with the seasons. She's a chameleon cat. A cateleon.