Options

O2 Age Verification - What is this crap!?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Credit where credit's due; I emailed them and the block has been removed very quickly .They advised up to 2 working days but it was only hours. Luckily I didn't need to embarrass myself by going to a shop :p

However, the fact that Bango are seemingly collecting our browsing data - and storing it - this starts getting a little bit iffy. Not that I have anything to hide - I'm not really bothered if people know what websites I go on - but I still want my personal data protected. Passing through a third party's server is just an added risk.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I'm not on o2 anymore. It sounds like they're going from bad to worse if you ask me. It's good they're trying to protect the kids from adult sites but they could have handled it better by making customers aware of the adult filters and more importantly, how to daily remove the filters if needed. Orange allow you to remove the filter over the phone by giving them your password or by logging in to your online account and removing the safeguard by a simple mouse click.

As others have said, going in to a store and asking them to remove the adult filter could be embarrassing for some. Yes it's a good idea to have that option, but it should not be the only option for those of us who do not have a credit card. Although I have also heard T-Mobile have a similar process for removing their adult filter too.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit where credit's due; I emailed them and the block has been removed very quickly .They advised up to 2 working days but it was only hours. Luckily I didn't need to embarrass myself by going to a shop :p

As the verification website still thinks I have a business phone, I emailed O2 yesterday to ask for the block to be removed.

I received a reply today, telling me to go to a shop.

I've emailed back, saying I don't want the inconvenience of that, and can it please be removed...

I provided ID when I first took out a PM contract, & would not have been able to take out a PM contract if I was under 18. WTF should I have to prove my age? :rolleyes:
    However, the fact that Bango are seemingly collecting our browsing data - and storing it - this starts getting a little bit iffy. Not that I have anything to hide - I'm not really bothered if people know what websites I go on - but I still want my personal data protected. Passing through a third party's server is just an added risk.

Does removing the block remove the Bango filtering completely, or does traffic still pass through Bango but just get allowed through?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it took another email, but I've had it removed without having to give a credit card number to Bango & without having to visit an actual O2 shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I'm unsure if our traffic does actually route through Bango's servers. I done a tracert and it didn't bring anything up - there was a few "private" addresses and it timed out a few times so it could be that Bango isn't "pingable".

Anyone?
  • Options
    CyanidePillCyanidePill Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    phoned o2 up just now and they removed it (2 working days to complete and all that).

i could tell that the backlash had forced 'em into resolving these over the phone instantly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I was also more than annoyed at this, especially the fact I get enough o2 marketing texts but nothing about this.

And their FAQ is also pointless, and on their blog post, they ignore any questions which hit home, such as "if o2 is responsible for the content even if the parents buy the contract, then isn't it wrong that anyone can use anyone's credit card to do this?"

It's not really foolproof in that case either, so it's completely pointless. Which is frustrating.

I tried to do it this morning, and got the message "sorry you've tried too many times, please visit an o2 store". Eh what? I've never tried to age verify before and this was the first time, so it's clear their system is buggered beyond recognition.

I then went on the live chat and had a guy transfer the request for me. But it just goes to show the whole system is screwed up and I'd never have put my card details in there!!
  • Options
    john_hunterjohn_hunter Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phoned o2 up just now and they removed it (2 working days to complete and all that).

i could tell that the backlash had forced 'em into resolving these over the phone instantly

Thanks for the advice i rung them too, they said it wasn't an issue removing it for me- after taking my DOB 5 times :)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's cleared now and as I am with giffgaff, I don't have to worry about Bango using my details.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Passoa wrote: »
    And their FAQ is also pointless, and on their blog post, they ignore any questions which hit home

They didn't even print all the questions that hit home! ;-)
  • Options
    Dragons_HeartbeatDragons_Heartbeat Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally managed to get the stupid block removed today at my local o2 store but it's swayed my decision in leaving the network I've got a new sim coming and will be asking to port my number soon finally had enough of stupid network issues and o2 policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Received a txt off O2:

We've confirmed your age and you can now access 18 rated content. To change this setting call 61018 free.

Took less than 12 hours not too bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a disgrace. I don't own a credit card, so I'm forced to go into my local o2 store with a passport. When am i supposed to get time to do this when i work during the day? I've just rang them up, and they've informed me that it could take up to two days to remove the filter!

It's NOT o2's job to be policing the internet. This 'oh won't someone please think of the children' attitude pisses me off. Jokers.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Received a txt off O2:

We've confirmed your age and you can now access 18 rated content. To change this setting call 61018 free.

Took less than 12 hours not too bad.

why should it take 12 hours?

press the button and it should be done.

if you relied on that connectivity for your business then that would be a day's lost work.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting on giffgaff contacted an agent 6 days ago.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    kenjude wrote: »
    They didn't even print all the questions that hit home! ;-)

Indeed, they are censoring comments on that blog to the point where it's completely useless.

Phazer
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting on Carphone Warehouse...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    why should it take 12 hours?

press the button and it should be done.

if you relied on that connectivity for your business then that would be a day's lost work.

Just commenting as i was told 48hours.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Still waiting on giffgaff contacted an agent 6 days ago.
    You should chase it up if it is still outstanding as on the giffgaff forum Nigel (a giffgaff team member) said he was looking at 'specifics' http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Updates-Notice-board/18-content/td-p/477363
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    This is a disgrace. I don't own a credit card, so I'm forced to go into my local o2 store with a passport. When am i supposed to get time to do this when i work during the day? I've just rang them up, and they've informed me that it could take up to two days to remove the filter!

It's NOT o2's job to be policing the internet. This 'oh won't someone please think of the children' attitude pisses me off. Jokers.

If they won't do it over the phone, then email them. If you get no joy from their first reply, email again...Polite but forceful, remind them you're over 18 & have to be to have a contract, point out that you cannot make it to an O2 shop due to work, etc.

That's all I did & it worked.

Still a p***-take of course, but I got it sorted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Check this. I have o2 broadband, home phone, and mobile contracts. I have previously verified my age with them and have unrestricted access on my iphone. Now, after buying a PAYG dongle and linking its number to my mobile number, they won't grant me 18+ access. I phoned them and they say they do not have the facility to change this and that I must attend one of their stores with a passport. I will not give CC details to dodgy bango. Unbelievable. How to bypass?