Anthony Hall new DG

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good choice.

Toff? He's from Merseyside.

He's not a toff, he's a life peer like Prescott and you'd hardly call Two Jags a toff would you??
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harriet Harman thinks he is the "Left" man for the job - says it all:eek:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's have more opera on the BBC then.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Toff? He's from Merseyside.

Isn't Birkenhead on the posh side of the Mersey?
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,377
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    He's not a toff, he's a life peer like Prescott and you'd hardly call Two Jags a toff would you??

Not within striking distance.;)
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I've heard of him (well, I could, but I'd be lying), but he sounds like a sensible choice. Knows the BBC very well, but also has plenty of external experience. Was a candidate for the DG role back in 1999, apparently.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Can't say I've heard of him (well, I could, but I'd be lying), but he sounds like a sensible choice. Knows the BBC very well, but also has plenty of external experience. Was a candidate for the DG role back in 1999, apparently.

Good luck to him.

Experience is a bit news heavy over everything else heavy, but it was always likely to be so given the events of his replacement.

Seems as good as they were going to get given the pay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done BBC someone who was born in Birkenhead Wirral,thats what i call entertainment.Lots of changes on the way for good
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd that only one candidate was considered, I hope but rather doubt it will make much difference with regard to the BBC but time will tell.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

That's what I said?
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Odd that only one candidate was considered, I hope but rather doubt it will make much difference with regard to the BBC but time will tell.

Yes, but they KNOW they have a/the right one, this time:rolleyes:

If not, plenty more in the house of lords:eek:
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Hell, that was a quick process.

Hope that they have got the right man this time.

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/tony-hall

I wonder if the post was offered at the Job Centres.:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I said?

True,

Funnily enought there is an actual Earldom of Liverpool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Liverpool
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a matter of what you own,its a matter of what you can give.The BBC will benefit a lot,there will be changes the public will like/dislike but i`am sure its for the better/the greater good
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltronics wrote: »
    Its not a matter of what you own,its a matter of what you can give.The BBC will benefit a lot,there will be changes the public will like/dislike but i`am sure its for the better/the greater good

[Hot Fuzz] "The greater good!"[/Hot Fuzz]
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Whether the new DG is success or not remains to be seen.

Entwhistle would have been a good DG i think but got caught up in something that nobody could come out of looking good.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Whether the new DG is success or not remains to be seen.

Entwhistle would have been a good DG i think but got caught up in something that nobody could come out of looking good.

What about Entwhistle's involvement in the Jubilee coverage disaster?
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a short term DG this makes sense. Given his age that is all he is ever going to be realistically. Trust needs to get its succession planning in place now. BBC cannot exist as it does now in the digital age & the next DG will need to be someone with take them through radical change.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    What about Entwhistle's involvement in the Jubilee coverage disaster?

Tried something new, it didn't work. although it scored well in the Appreciation index.

Also, more "traditional" coverage was available on the red button.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not starting for four months? A lot could happen in four months...

Maybe this is so the BBC can deal with the Savile crisis before he takes the job. If he started today he'd be asked nothing but Savile questions all day, just like GE.

Hopefully the BBC can deal with the matter and get all and any bad news out of the way and Hall can then start the job of rebuilding morale.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

He was approached directly by Patten and as such was not a ''candidate'' because no-one else was considered.I wonder if the head-hunters who ''found'' Entwistle were involved ?
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Not starting for four months? A lot could happen in four months...

Maybe this is so the BBC can deal with the Savile crisis before he takes the job. If he started today he'd be asked nothing but Savile questions all day, just like GE.

Hopefully the BBC can deal with the matter and get all and any bad news out of the way and Hall can then start the job of rebuilding morale.

He may also have a notice period in his contract with the Royal Opera House. If so, it's not unreasonable for them to require him to stay on for 4 months while they look for his replacement.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Good decision.

Outsider - much wider experience than the likes of Entwhistle yet at the same time he also does have massive experience of the BBC.

I agree, mlt11. He's got news, BBC, C4 (brief) and external managerial experience.

I hope that he can reform and simplify the lines of communications and management (so that there's upward warning of impending disaster), improve news fact checking and improve the crisis management preparedness of the BBC by, for example, changes and additions to the BBC Executive Board.

I wish Anthony Hall well in his new job.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought he did well at the mini Press Conference (no questions) with Patten.

Compared to Entwhistle, Hall just looks and sounds more authoritative, more confident, more in charge, more decisive, more likely to get a firm grip of anything that needs it etc etc.

Entwhistle, in comparison, looks and sounds more like a hard working, conscientious number 2.

Very good appointment in my view.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Thought he did well at the mini Press Conference (no questions) with Patten.

Compared to Entwhistle, Hall just looks and sounds more authoritative, more confident, more in charge, more decisive, more likely to get a firm grip of anything that needs it etc etc.

Entwhistle, in comparison, looks and sounds more like a hard working, conscientious number 2.

Very good appointment in my view.

Yes I totally agree. Lets hope they go in the right direction now. He seems a strong choice on paper.

Lest see how he does.

Ken