This sentence doesn't make sense to me

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/19/one-10-students-lost-virginity-aged-14-younger_n_5350606.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
...more women admitted to having had an STI than men - one in 10 respondents compared to four in five of males.

Am I going nuts or does that not make sense?

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One in ten is more than eight in ten is it?
    Not when I went to school. :D
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm prepared to be corrected, but I think you're right. Firstly, "one in 10 respondents" surely means "all respondents", so the "four in five of males" doesn't fit anyway. Secondly, assuming the "all respondents" is a proofing error and actually means "one in 10 of females", then 1 in 10 is 10%, whilst 4 in 5 is 80%. What the actual? I can't fit my head around it.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    I'm prepared to be corrected, but I think you're right. Firstly, "one in 10 respondents" surely means "all respondents", so the "four in five of males" doesn't fit anyway. Secondly, assuming the "all respondents" is a proofing error and actually means "one in 10 of females", then 1 in 10 is 10%, whilst 4 in 5 is 80%. What the actual? I can't fit my head around it.

It's not just me then. Good to know.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The 'more' is relative. It's calling the women slags
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's a lot of STIs still going. I thought the turbo units always packed up.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member

It absolutely doesn't make sense, someone didn't do their proof reading. According to the Student Beans website 8% of guys admitted to an std compared to 10% of girls. Where they got four out of five from I don't know unless they meant four out of fifty.