Options

EE: How Long are the current Carters gonna last?

Dr Dr WhoDr Dr Who Posts: 118
Forum Member
With the announcement of Sylvie, there'll be twelve Carters on the Square and how long do you reckon the current ones will last? I only see Mick, Tina and Shirley in it for the long run.

LEE - Gone by the end of 2015, it's evident Danny-Boy is using EE to launch his acting career he'll do a Patsy on it and swan off to Hollywood.

JOHNNY - I'll give him 2-4 years at the most

NANCY - Out of her, Johnny and Lee I'm presuming she will stay the longest

AUNT BABE - Not sure about her, she'll either leave after the Sylvie, Mick/Shirley reveal or she'll stay for yonks.

STAN - Hope he's in it for the long run, but I'll give Tim West about 4/5 years, he'll probably stay till his 70!!!

LINDA - Kellie Bright's married now settled so I'd day 10-15 years, although if she decides to go down the route of having a baby then I wouldn't see her sticking around.

TOSH - People will be asking Who the bloody hell was Tosh by this time next year, she'll be forgotten by then hopefully! :D:D

SHIRLEY - Linda Henry ain't going anywhere, 20 years.

MICK - Danny's settled at EE for now and I see him doing a long stretch, not as long as Ian Beale though, but he'll inevitably flit in and out and take all these 6 months breaks etc as Charlie (Janine) and Patsy (Bianca) did.

TINA - Personally, I think out of all of them Tina will be the most regular character and will easily do a 15-20 year stretch.

SYLVIE - Recurring guest character, a bit like how Glenda was.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Linda Henry leaving in 2 years time..

Danny Dyer will probably leave before the end of 2015...

Timothy West is 79 so I think he won't be in EE for a long time.

Can't see Aunt Babe sticking around after the Shirley and Mick reveal..
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,306
    Forum Member
    Who knows really, out of all the Carters I can see Stan going first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Carters will as a family, will be on the show for ages now. There's so many Carter's and many generations of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Tbh the ones I can't see sticking around are Tosh, Tina, Stan, Aunt Babe and probably Lee and some of them aren't really needed long term IMO.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I can't see Danny Dyer staying in the show for the long haul.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I can't see Danny Dyer staying in the show for the long haul.

When Danny Dyer started on EE he made noises about staying 20 yrs etc. I didnt believe it then & I dont now. If hes allowed to do films every now & again I can see him staying. longer. We dont know how he'll react under a new EP. we dont know how he'll react a few years down the line once the Carters arent the foremost family in EE anymore.

I think theres a chance Kelly Bright will have children in the not too distant future & this'll mean some kind of split for Mick & Linda and that may have a significant impact on the Carter family.

So his place is far from secure.

As far as the first to go is concerned- it's blatantly gonna be Tosh. ONly staying for the domestic violence storyline, then she'll be forgotten,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aunt babe will be like the mitchels aunt who popped up for wedding, funerals, and other random 1/2 episodes.

mick & linda i give 5 years and then maybe some long breaks but in & out (think max & tanya) the 'kids'? I reckon in lee does do an off it will be written in & he'll just return with a new head. Nancy I can see going in & out maybe for a few years a a time. Johny? I'm not so sure he wont go off with the love of his life in a year only to be mentioned in passing.

Stan ...I believe Tim Wests wife is poorly...part of me thinks that when she dies stan will be killed off so he has time to grieve...but another part thinks he'll be back at work after a week....
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Dyer will quit within the next 12 months, and most of the current Carters will follow him.

For DD, EastEnders is about raising his own profile - showing producers he can play the 'family man' as well as the gangster. He will be getting plenty of offers off the back of EastEnders so he won't want to stick around, and who can blame him?

Mick Carter's exit will be Xmas 2015, mark my words.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Dr Who wrote: »
    With the announcement of Sylvie, there'll be twelve Carters on the Square and how long do you reckon the current ones will last? I only see Mick, Tina and Shirley in it for the long run.

LEE - Gone by the end of 2015, it's evident Danny-Boy is using EE to launch his acting career he'll do a Patsy on it and swan off to Hollywood.

JOHNNY - I'll give him 2-4 years at the most

NANCY - Out of her, Johnny and Lee I'm presuming she will stay the longest

AUNT BABE - Not sure about her, she'll either leave after the Sylvie, Mick/Shirley reveal or she'll stay for yonks.

STAN - Hope he's in it for the long run, but I'll give Tim West about 4/5 years, he'll probably stay till his 70!!!

LINDA - Kellie Bright's married now settled so I'd day 10-15 years, although if she decides to go down the route of having a baby then I wouldn't see her sticking around.

TOSH - People will be asking Who the bloody hell was Tosh by this time next year, she'll be forgotten by then hopefully! :D:D

SHIRLEY - Linda Henry ain't going anywhere, 20 years.

MICK - Danny's settled at EE for now and I see him doing a long stretch, not as long as Ian Beale though, but he'll inevitably flit in and out and take all these 6 months breaks etc as Charlie (Janine) and Patsy (Bianca) did.

TINA - Personally, I think out of all of them Tina will be the most regular character and will easily do a 15-20 year stretch.

SYLVIE - Recurring guest character, a bit like how Glenda was.

What do you think?

That would be bloody difficult unless he is a Time Lord - as the great man is already almost 80. :D
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Luisa B was talking about becoming like Dot, so I think she will be staying for the foreseeable.

Linda H was considering leaving but stayed because of DTC so I don't know if she would stay if he left.

Danny D will come and go I think, but will ultimately leave when DTC does, same with Kellie Bright.

Annette Badland and Tim West, I hope will stick around for quite some time but they are high profile and I can see them having other commitments.

Maddy, Sam and Danny-Boy will probably do a few years.

I can see most of them leaving with DTC, when he leaves.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much of a vanilla character as Mick is (I never thought I'd say that about a Danny Dyer character) I think when he leaves the family will fall apart. He really does hold them all together. I can't see Dyer still being there in 2-3 years so it will be interesting to see how his departure effects the Carters as a whole. Tina, Tosh, Aunt Babe, Lee, Dean and perhaps Johnny are easy lifts from the family at any time. I fear Shirley is becoming too entrenced to be removed easily which is good news for her fans but not for her haters which includes me. I still don't see her carrying the Carters when Dyer leaves. She's just too venomous.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I can see the Carters being around for some time. All the children are old enough for relationships and the two older ones could easily bring their partners into the business (Johnny's a bit young to settle down).
    I'd love Tim and Annette to stay around , Linda Henry too, but a lot will depend on the next EP...they probably don't need the work enough to stay if they're unhappy.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much of a vanilla character as Mick is (I never thought I'd say that about a Danny Dyer character) I think when he leaves the family will fall apart. He really does hold them all together. I can't see Dyer still being there in 2-3 years so it will be interesting to see how his departure effects the Carters as a whole. Tina, Tosh, Aunt Babe, Lee, Dean and perhaps Johnny are easy lifts from the family at any time. I fear Shirley is becoming too entrenced to be removed easily which is good news for her fans but not for her haters which includes me. I still don't see her carrying the Carters when Dyer leaves. She's just too venomous.

Sorry but how in any way is Johnny an 'easy lift at any time'? He's by far one of the most popular members of the family if social media and media interest is anything to go by, and has had arguably the most successful ongoing storyline out of the Carters so far. If he was to leave at any point soon it would be a huge deal for the family. To say that he's an easy lift but not include Nancy or Stan is a bit bizarre, IMO, as Johnny is just as equal to those two in terms of character prominence and impact.

I would say that the only ones who could leave relatively soon and not make any real impact are Tina, Aunt Babe, Lee and possibly Dean (and I say that as someone who likes Lee a lot and is interested to see where Aunt Babe and Dean are going.) Stan, also, as brilliant as he is won't last more than a year or so more IMO.

Losing any of the core four of Mick, Linda, Nancy and Johnny would be a real loss at this point, and Shirley, as much as you don't like her, is an established character who would also leave a noticeable space if she went.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just know that when the Carters leave they will make Shirley sole landlady of the Vic. It's going to happen :(
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Sorry but how in any way is Johnny an 'easy lift at any time'? He's by far one of the most popular members of the family if social media and media interest is anything to go by, and has had arguably the most successful ongoing storyline out of the Carters so far. If he was to leave at any point soon it would be a huge deal for the family. To say that he's an easy lift but not include Nancy or Stan is a bit bizarre, IMO, as Johnny is just as equal to those two in terms of character prominence and impact.

I agree with both these points. Once Danny Dyer leaves the Carters will be done. Linda probably could stay on a while though but I bet she is removed from the Vic.

As for the second point. I think out of all the new Carters. It will be Johnny who lasts the longest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with both these points. Once Danny Dyer leaves the Carters will be done. Linda probably could stay on a while though but I bet she is removed from the Vic.

As for the second point. I think out of all the new Carters. It will be Johnny who lasts the longest.

To be honest I can see both Nancy and Johnny having long term potential regardless of whether Mick and Linda stay, but I have a feeling Sam Strike won't stick around for very long if Danny goes; the two of them seem very close and I think Sam probably has film aspirations which he'll want to explore at some point. But in terms of potential, I think Johnny could easily be a long term character if Sam did want to stay. The very fact that Johnny is training to be a lawyer opens up all sorts of possibilities for the character (which is why I'm annoyed that they seem to forget he's doing this most of the time.)

Out of the current Carters, the ones I see most likely staying for a long period of time are the women; Linda, Tina and Shirley and possibly Nancy (though I think that depends on how ambitious Maddy is. Certainly, I could see Nancy eventually marrying into a big legacy family and becoming a key player if Maddy is committed enough.) Lee seems destined for some sort of traumatic ending, Stan will most likely be killed off at the height of a big Carter storyline, and Dean is going down the villain route which may well make him expendable in the long run. I can actually see Dean doing something awful to Stan at some point, just a vague feeling I have.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I can see both Nancy and Johnny having long term potential regardless of whether Mick and Linda stay, but I have a feeling Sam Strike won't stick around for very long if Danny goes; the two of them seem very close and I think Sam probably has film aspirations which he'll want to explore at some point. But in terms of potential, I think Johnny could easily be a long term character if Sam did want to stay. The very fact that Johnny is training to be a lawyer opens up all sorts of possibilities for the character (which is why I'm annoyed that they seem to forget he's doing this most of the time.)

Out of the current Carters, the ones I see most likely staying for a long period of time are the women; Linda, Tina and Shirley and possibly Nancy (though I think that depends on how ambitious Maddy is. Certainly, I could see Nancy eventually marrying into a big legacy family and becoming a key player if Maddy is committed enough.) Lee seems destined for some sort of traumatic ending, Stan will most likely be killed off at the height of a big Carter storyline, and Dean is going down the villain route which may well make him expendable in the long run. I can actually see Dean doing something awful to Stan at some point, just a vague feeling I have.

I think the opposite way. I think Sam would be content to stay while Maddie seems very ambitious. I actually think Maddie will quit before Danny does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would say that the only ones who could leave relatively soon and not make any real impact are Tina, Aunt Babe, Lee and possibly Dean (and I say that as someone who likes Lee a lot and is interested to see where Aunt Babe and Dean are going.) Stan, also, as brilliant as he is won't last more than a year or so more IMO.

Losing any of the core four of Mick, Linda, Nancy and Johnny would be a real loss at this point, and Shirley, as much as you don't like her, is an established character who would also leave a noticeable space if she went.

No need to be sorry. Did you miss the part where I wrote "perhaps Johnny"? This indicates I'm not completely sure if he would or wouldn't be an easy lift. Personally I think the character has stagnated already and the actor is quite limited. Those would be my reasons for thinking he could easily leave with little fuss. Nancy, on the other hand, has barely been developed and although she too could probably leave easily enough I think it would be premature and a waste of potential. I agree Stan won't last long so I didn't see the point of discussing him.

To be blunt I don't care what social media has to say about anything. Especially Facebook and Twitter. It's full of shallow and spiteful comments from a portion of the population I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire in most cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the opposite way. I think Sam would be content to stay while Maddie seems very ambitious. I actually think Maddie will quit before Danny does.

How can you tell that Maddy is ambitious? Just curious because I haven't got much of a sense of her as a person, mainly because she doesn't have Twitter and hasn't given many interviews.) I feel from Sam's Twitter that he's enamoured with movies and certain film actors, and the fact that he seems quite an awkward person who possibly doesn't like working the soap circuit (he always seems very tense when he's being interviewed, as opposed to Maddy who always looks completely comfortable) suggests that he might eventually find the spotlight of being in a soap a bit too much. It's just a feeling I have, but I think Sam leans on Danny a lot and sees him as his mentor, and I could imagine he'd feel at a bit of a loss if he was to go.

If the producers had any sense, if/when Sam and/or Maddy want to branch out into other roles, they'll leave the door open for them to come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to be sorry. Did you miss the part where I wrote "perhaps Johnny"? This indicates I'm not completely sure if he would or wouldn't be an easy lift. Personally I think the character has stagnated already and the actor is quite limited. Those would be my reasons for thinking he could easily leave with little fuss. Nancy, on the other hand, has barely been developed and although she too could probably leave easily enough I think it would be premature and a waste of potential. I agree Stan won't last long so I didn't see the point of discussing him.

To be blunt I don't care what social media has to say about anything. Especially Facebook and Twitter. It's full of shallow and spiteful comments from a portion of the population I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire in most cases.

But the very fact that you did name him, but not some of the others, suggests you think he's an easier lift than the likes of Nancy, Linda and Mick.

As for the character 'stagnating' already, he's had one ongoing storyline around his sexuality and he now has just as many places to go as the rest of his family. It's the storyline developer's job to find interesting plot arcs for the characters on EE, and it's not like Johnny has been boxed into any sort of a corner. I can think of tons of things they can do to develop him as a character and I don't do this for a living. As for thinking Sam is a limited actor, well, I quite simply disagree. I think he's just as natural as the rest of his family and has proven to be particularly good at emotional scenes. Plus, I can't say this enough, Sam Strike really seems to take acting seriously and will be fully committed to self-improvement. No he isn't the finished product yet but give him a bit more time and experience and he's going to shine.

And you might not care about social media but it's the biggest indicator we have in terms of a character's popularity. You can find just as many shallow and spiteful comments on here, anyway. Also, when I talk to people in real life about EE, Johnny genuinely seems to be a popular character. I don't know what else there is to go by, really, but I would certainly describe him as a well-liked character with lots of potential.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    But the very fact that you did name him, but not some of the others, suggests you think he's an easier lift than the likes of Nancy, Linda and Mick.

As for the character 'stagnating' already, he's had one ongoing storyline around his sexuality and he now has just as many places to go as the rest of his family. It's the storyline developer's job to find interesting plot arcs for the characters on EE, and it's not like Johnny has been boxed into any sort of a corner. I can think of tons of things they can do to develop him as a character and I don't do this for a living. As for thinking Sam is a limited actor, well, I quite simply disagree. I think he's just as natural as the rest of his family and has proven to be particularly good at emotional scenes. Plus, I can't say this enough, Sam Strike really seems to take acting seriously and will be fully committed to self-improvement. No he isn't the finished product yet but give him a bit more time and experience and he's going to shine.

And you might not care about social media but it's the biggest indicator we have in terms of a character's popularity. You can find just as many shallow and spiteful comments on here, anyway. Also, when I talk to people in real life about EE, Johnny genuinely seems to be a popular character. I don't know what else there is to go by, really, but I would certainly describe him as a well-liked character with lots of potential.

This is very true.

If they team Johnny up with Ben in a loving relationship then I can see him being with the show long term. They may dip in and out a couple of times but there's no harm in that. I think it would be good fun if they ended up running the Vic in a few years...why not.:D
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member

As opposed to on here?. The amount of spiteful, overly critical and shallow comments I have seen since joining here are probably on par with social media. I agree with elly, social media is one of the biggest indicaters of a characters popularity.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the Linda Carter actress hanging onto this job for dear life, but I really, really hope that she goes soon. Johnny only seems to be as popular as some posters make out, with a certain portion of the audience, he is just one of the younger annoying characters to other viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said DS can't be shallow and spiteful but I don't generally interact with those members and they don't seem to interact with me so it's not really part of my DS experience. You get out of DS what you put into it. If you want shallow discussion you can have it and if you want in depth discussion you can have that too. I'll take that over Twitter and Facebook's limited approach to discussion any day of the week. What can really be gleamed from a one line crticism or praise of a character or someone "liking" a generic comment? I'll stick with DS, good and bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with being over critical. I love reading in depth comments on here about EastEnders and its characters, positive or negative. While there is some spiteful and shallow comments on here from time to time, it is nowhere near as bad as the childish remarks about a certain character's looks on Facebook or Twitter. People on here have every right to criticise or praise a popular/unpopular character no matter how popular/unpopular that character is on social media. This is DS and I couldn't give two hoots what people are saying on Facebook/Twitter/IMDB/Walford Web etc.