Options

Shotgun inheritance question

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
My dad has been sorting out his will and it has made me wonder what will happen to his shotgun when he dies. I am his only child so it would pass to me, it is fully licensed though it is in his name only which is what you expect. Would I have to take out a license of my own when it passes to me. Thing is I do not want it and would want to sell it I would not want to just surrender it to the police as I would lose money that way.

I am going to try to convince dad to sell it before the inevitable happens though as it would be less of a headache.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it an antique shotgun?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    is it an antique shotgun?

No it's a standard 12 bore shotgun.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    No it's a standard 12 bore shotgun.

do you think it had any value?
    ie is simply surrendering it to the police not an option if you simply want rid of it?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does your fathers solicitor say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does your fathers solicitor say?

I'm not sure he asked that question probably forgot about it. It sits in the gun cabinet I don't think dad has fired it in over 10 years. Mum wants him to get rid of it but he says no not yet.

Don't know what he's wating for Zombie apocolypse maybe :)
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think like all owners of shotguns you would have to be vetted and then given a licence, personally give it in to the cops
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    I think like all owners of shotguns you would have to be vetted and then given a licence, personally give it in to the cops

I think if that is the case then I will convince dad to sell it. As it's worth about £200 so why should we be out of pocket. As long as we sell it to a registered dealer we won't have any comeback.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Would I have to take out a license of my own when it passes to me.
    Yes, if you wanted to keep it. Otherwise your problem starts as soon as your father dies as unless you have your own shotgun certificate in advance of that event, the moment he dies anyone without their own certificate - you or your mother, for eg - are committing an offence. With no certificate, you would need to have a plan in place whereby a licenced person comes immediately and takes the gun away for safe-keeping. You could take it back when you have applied for and been granted your own certificate.

When is your father's shotgun certificate up for renewal? They must be renewed every five years. That may be a time for him to consider what to do - whether to renew or to sell it. If you've no interest in shooting it's a faff to have to organise secure accommodation for the gun, apply / reapply for the certificate every five years and pay the fee.

https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you just ask the police for a short term license as an executor to sort out the paper work, which so long as you wouldn't be refused a license will be perfectly fine..obviously you'll need to ensure the safety of it until sold (so beware of handing over property on which you need a firearms safe to secure it) but plod generally want you to get maximum value for it as theres no value to a few pounds of scrap metal plus the paperwork for something thats legal (and theres taxes to be raised every time a gun is sold)

it may be worth planning ahead so that if he gets unwell he can sell his guns and relinquish his license well in advance therefore making less of a mess to sort out when the time comes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    you just ask the police for a short term license as an executor to sort out the paper work...
    Absolutely right. I was just about to post that. I Googled and found the link below from South Staffordshire Police which covers inheritance:

http://www.staffordshire.police.uk/info_advice/help_advice/firearms/faqs/faqs/

From that link:
    << If the guns are left to you in a will.

The executor of the estate should obtain the necessary authority (temporary permit) for the guns to be taken to a Registered Firearms Dealer for storage pending your application for the required certificate to possess that type of weapon.
    >>
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's not been fired in 10 years. I sure as hell wouldn't be inclined to test fire it!

Hand it in to police immediately - it's not the gun that's licensed, it's the user/owner. And don't be tempted to hand the gun to the police - let them collect it - you might just give them funny ideas to shoot first and ask questions later (it WILL be collected by the Armed police section)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Hand it in to police immediately - it's not the gun that's licensed, it's the user/owner.
    :confused: He can't hand it in to the police immediately. It's not his property. He says in his first post that it's his father's gun and later on that according to his mother, his father doesn't want to relinquish it yet.

It seems clear that this is the OP preparing for the future and a discussion with his father - not the OP sitting looking at a shotgun in his possession that he doesn't know what to do with.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    :confused: He can't hand it in to the police immediately. It's not his property. He says in his first post that it's his father's gun and later on that according to his mother, his father doesn't want to relinquish it yet.

It seems clear that this is the OP preparing for the future and a discussion with his father - not the OP sitting looking at a shotgun in his possession that he doesn't know what to do with.

But the OP was asking what would happen WHEN HIS FATHER DIED, which is what my response was aimed at.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I agree with grumpyscot, but convince him to sell it and take you and mum out for a nice memorable meal..or he could save it..the money, just tell him you are not up for owning a firearm.

Good luck :)